Biff the Ageing Bof

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Stevep, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It's getting there slowly.
    Once I've got the main stand painted and dried, I'll start building it up on the far ramp, you can see it in the background in the swingarm photo.
    Can't decide whether to paint the shock collars or not.
    It should start coming together quite nicely now that the bigger parts are all sorted and painted.
    Still have wheels to build.

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper

mock up some black card round the shock collars see how it looks , i would think that sets them off nice against the red of the frame. maybe even black the shocks bottom mounts to , that black over red look

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I dunno...............
    I think the shock collars and mudguard need to be painted as well.

IMG_20170206_163411.jpg IMG_20170206_163842.jpg

torpedo01 likes this.
  4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    shove the pic into pc and tinker with the paint program, slap black collars and bottoms on see what it looks like, if not just wrap a black card round the tops, stand back and have a think.

gotta remember steve theres a lot more bits to pop on before you get the overal look ;)
    maybe worth plugging along with rebuild and then at the very end stand back and have a look again could find that silve goes well when the seats fitted and other parts ;) ...... dont wanna paint them now then decide later it was a bad idea :)

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

True, but if you look at all the pics of these back in the day they all had colour coded mudguards and shock collars.
    Was just trying them for looks really, see if it stands out any better.

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    yeah know what you mean buddy .....

go with what your heart is saying buddy, if you want it true to the old days go for it, either way its gonna be one hell of a head turner ;)

Stevep likes this.
  7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It better be, want LOADS of dollars for it when it's done;)
    It's going to be interesting what dvla has to say about it.
    It's been off the radar for so many years it'll probably want inspecting, and with a bit of luck, if I talk nicely with them on the phone they should tell me how many are on the data base, if indeed there are any others.
    Wouldn't it be nice to have the only survivor in the country..................:rolleyes:

8. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    Personally I would paint the mudguard but not the shocks :) whatever you do though no doubt it will be bike wizard standards as usual :rolleyes:

9. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper

be a freaking gold mine if dvla sent a headed letter stating its the only one left on the roads in uk. Mind you steve as the builder you gotta put the first few miles back on that puppy relive them old times again even if it is just 10 miles or so ;)

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I might or might not ride it to the mot station and back.
    But that means I'll have to insure it for road use, and with it not currently showing up on the database the insurance will probably decline to cover it. And that's a whole lot of other hoops I don't want to deal with.
    Better just to walk it to the mot place (it's only 3/4 of a mile), have the thorough once over, trundle round the PRIVATE estate while I'm there, making sure it does what it's supposed to, then walk it back and hopefully bump into someone who had one in their youth and buys it for ££££'s

11. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    good plan buddy , just so long as you get the first plant on that seat :)

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Got some more parts through the shotblaster today. Not going to paint them yet because of the front hub:

IMG_20170212_144724.jpg

Seized as good as a seized thing thats seized solid.
    WD40, heat, pullers, move you motherf*&&%&^r!:mad:
    Budging a little, but got to be patient. Last thing I need is to crack the hub. Not sure if I can get a replacement.

torpedo01 likes this.
  13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Well..............it came apart but it looks like trouble.
    The brake backing plate broke on the side, but the hub itself may be un-recoverable.
    I'll have a better look tomorrow maybe.

IMG_20170212_185039.jpg IMG_20170212_191244.jpg IMG_20170212_191320.jpg

I'm wondering if the honda cub hub and backing plate are very close to this one.
    MK, pm'd you.

14. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    wow thats caked up bigtime buddy .

im wondering if something like a SS50 hub may fit (suzuki ) or maybe a TS50-100 front hub

torpedo01 likes this.
  15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I have a ts50 rear hub...

16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I've found someone breaking an FR70.:)
    Just messaged them with a list of parts.

Thinking about having the complete engine now

torpedo01 likes this.
  17. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper

sweet buddy i was looking at the old ts50 hubs and they look very alike maybe worth a gander just incase you cant. if not maybe a center hub and restring with the f50 rim ?

18. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Blown that idea then, he has the hub but no backing plate. Also wanted the chain guard and switch gear. He's got the switch gear but no chain guard.
    Found a backing plate at CMSnl, 5.50 euros plus postage, sent them an email to confirm availability and lead time.
    Might have a look at the Honda Cub front wheel assembly, see if I can lace that hub and plate onto the F50 rim.

torpedo01 likes this.
  19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that the Honda Cub hub and plate will fit....................

20. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    could get onto a cub forum and ask them for measurements?

Stevep likes this.