Battery overcharge advice needed

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Buzz, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Hi, had a long slow ride (60 miles at 30mph due to riding buddy on 50cc) and started smelling sulphur. Got home without an issue but I had fried the battery, it was red hot and bike no longer fired up, just the solenoid buzzing. The battery read 13.5volts but couldn't even turn the lights on. I jumped the bike and its charging at 15.5volts so it's clearly overcharging.
    I have a new battery on order but I can't tell if the R/R is the issue. I ran a multimeter across the RR connectors and they suggest its not at fault as I get equal resistance on all three points and when I reverse the leads they all read 1 suggesting its not allowing a reverse flow.
    Could the RR still be the problem even though it seems to be okay using the multimeter? I don't want to spend £80 on a new one if its okay
    I've checked the battery earth points which are good. If the stator is faulty would this cause overcharge or would the regulator protect it.
    Could it simply be a bad battery only?
    Any advice welcome before I fry my new battery when it arrives.

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The stator is 2 or3 phase a/c and put's way more voltage out and it's the regulator that cuts the voltage down to 13.5 ish volts and turn's it to d/c voltage. I'd change the regulator.

3. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Thanks. Thinking about my testing, the continuity testing would be for the rectifier side of things so the regulator is probably dead. Being a combined RR unit and not individual means my testing was right but wrong. Ill fork out for a new one.