aprilia sr50 wont start

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by sr50dave, Aug 20, 2010.

1. sr50dave

sr50dave Member

hi i have a 2004 sr 50 piaggio carb motor and the other day i was riding home and soon as i got down the road while doing about 45 the bike lost all power however the electrics was all still on and when i pulled over it began to tick over but everytime i tryed to throttle it wouldnt rev up or go and eventually cutout and wont run since.

now i have changed the plug for a new one and is sparking great the compression is good cos when i checked by putting my thumb over the hole it was blowing my thumb off and i couldnt keep it on however my carb is spiiting fuel out the inlet and is flooding the float bowl now i had a problem like this before and it was my reeds and when i checked them there was a chip at the corner so i replaced them with some malossi carbon fibre reeds and still nothing.

so i am asking does anyone have clue or answer to what the problem is as i have no idea now after trying everything.

also i had an iridium ngk plug before i replced with a new one and when i tested it wouldnt spark so would this of caused the problem thanks :(

2. gart

gart Member

Rides:
    speedfight 2 100cc
    the drive belt mabye broken? i HAD this same problem with same bike, is ther oil in it, this mabye could cause it, or could be siezed up,

3. sr50dave

sr50dave Member

i have a new polini kevlar belt and has only just worn in :) i took the reed block off and inlet had a look at the crank and is all spinng freely also i use castrol power 1 oil and thats meant to be one of the best oils to get and yeah have a fair bit left in the tank :)

4. Gilly-93

Gilly-93 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr70
    oil pump drive belts snapped and its nipped up. :thumbsup:

5. sr50dave

sr50dave Member

oh i will check that is that behind the variator :)

6. Gilly-93

Gilly-93 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr70
    yeh mate, its common on the sr... it snaps and the engine nips up then frees off never to run again, if its not that i'll be suprised. ive done loads of em.

7. sr50dave

sr50dave Member

okay i will check that out and if i replace it should it be all good :D

8. Gilly-93

Gilly-93 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr70
    not really mate,your engines still fecked :cry:

9. sr50dave

sr50dave Member

yeah but how my engine still turns over and has got good compression

10. sr50dave

sr50dave Member

also it hasnt snapped just checked it :)

11. Gilly-93

Gilly-93 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr70
    ok ,is the plug wet after you spin it over?

12. sr50dave

sr50dave Member

its not soaking or out just a bit damp :)

13. Gilly-93

Gilly-93 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr70
    the one i did last week had nipped up,freed off and still had what you would think was decent compression but not enough to draw petrol out of the carb, open the reeds etc...took the head and barrel off sure enough cooked ring and scored barrel... if you've exhausted everything else its where i would look, your plug should be wet through not damp.

14. sr50dave

sr50dave Member

what do you mean by nipped up and freed off ? :p and okay i will look into it :)

15. sr50dave

sr50dave Member

if i get a compression test what should the reading be on this bike :)

16. gart

gart Member

Rides:
    speedfight 2 100cc
    correct me if im wrong but, i had the same bike same problem etc, and i was getting commpression and my mate knows alot about mopeds and he says it was the piston rings etc, i was saying to him it was nt them, and when he opened it up the rings were all broken and the piston was fked would or could this be the problem? ( sorry if wrong just my thought)

17. Gilly-93

Gilly-93 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr70
    nips up and frees off is exactly as it says.. its not one where you have to knock the piston down or barrel off with a hammer... you can still turn it over as it cools down everything contracts and it frees off. this one was blowing fuel back out the carb aswell... if it dont go with easy start its never gona!!!!! try that.

18. sr50dave

sr50dave Member

the piston was fooked so i replace the piston/rings and my compression is way better and my spark is still great but the spark plug is bone dry not a single drop of fuel on it so any thoughts what it could be :) its not the fuel valve on the tank and reeds are brand new so i dunno maybe a carb problem ?

19. DASH.

DASH. New Member

Rides:
    Zip 70.
    Open your carb up make sure the float is not sticking, blow your jets through and just give your carb a good clean should sort the problem.

20. sr50dave

sr50dave Member

have done 2 times now still nothing at all :/ anymore opinions i.e electrics possibly