Aprilia sr50 ditech tuning

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Fruddy, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Fruddy

Fruddy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 ditech
    I have an Aprilia SR50 ditech 53plate not sure which engine being either piaggio or morini?
    Basically im wanting to know what i should get to make the scooter faster at the minute i can get about 54mph on flat at a push and im wanting to get it to at least 65mph? at the moment i have a Leo Vince TT Pipe on it and thats it.
    I know a 70cc kit would make a big difference but im not sure if i dare risk it with it being a ditech. :blink:
    On the other hand i have been told that i need new lighter rollers.
    If anyone could send me the links to the parts i require i would appreciate it alot. I tend to use http://www.donotlink-pedstop.co.uk
    Thanks
    :)

2. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

Re: Aprilia sr50

No way in hell a de-restricted bike is doing 54. Anyway don't bother tuning a ditech. It's a huge cost for little gain with very few parts available. Plus you need to be friendly with somewhere with a dyno and access to the tools to remap your ecu. There is pretty much no one in england that does it.

3. boweze_runner

boweze_runner SR172 amazing but sold !!! dragster again soon :D

Rides:
    Italjet Dragster 180
    basicly what terro is trying to get at pour petrol over it and burn it and get summit else :)

4. Fruddy

Fruddy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 ditech
    believe me it is iv been clocked by several different scoots.

5. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Now. Believe me. Your bike is not doing that. If so i'm 7 foot tall have size 1 feet and ride a monkey bike. All speedos are out by atleast 5-6mph. (To allow for speed camera's) Generally. You've picked the wrong bike to tune i'm sorry to say.

Surferdude likes this.
  6. DaNnY-S

DaNnY-S New Member

Di-Tech's are very difficult to tune, to tune them properly you will need the ECU re-mapped most likely to 2.8.0 as that's the latest one, But in order to do that you would have to upgrade the fuel injector and air intake system along with the throttle body, All these parts are hard to get in the UK and i only know off one company that sells them and that's HGT(high gains tuning) in the US, he developed his own fuel injection system and sells all the things you would need but to get what you want you wont have any change from £1000! and you would need a dyno to set up the transmission as they work to a specific range off RPM and if you don't get the Contra spring and rollers set to work in this RPM range Along with the clutch engaging then you wont see much difference.

7. 2T-Customs

2T-Customs New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50's
    Here is a picture for you to reference what kind of motor your SR50 Ditech has.
    [​IMG]

With regards to your speed. I'm sorry to everybody else here, but he is correct. A restricted Ditech reaches 54mph ( 86.90kph ). A de-restricted SR50 Ditech reaches 61mph ( 98.17kph ). These are flat ground speeds, not downhill.

Yes, you could send your ECU to HGT to have it de-restricted and a new map installed. But you won't reach 65mph unless your riding down a big hill.
    Yes, you should have MAP 2.8.0 installed, but it's not the "newest" MAP for Ditechs...they have newer, it's just that the 2.8.0 seems to produce the best results.

In order to reach 65mph, you don't need to change the injectors, or TB (throttle body) You don't need a PFI system from HGT. You don't even need to de-restrict the ECU.
    Simply install the following.
    Malossi BBK. A Ditech is just as reliable as a carb SR50. People say they aren't good to tune just because they have no idea how to actually do it. There are LOTS of options to tune a Ditech.
    If you want more fuel, just install a fuel pressure regulator. High Gain Tuning sells them. Very very simple to install and use. Simply turn the adjustment screw in or out to regulate fuel pressure. Much easier than changing jets in a carb WAY faster. You monitor pressure via the gauges on the regulator.
    Install an advanced 3 degree woodruff key
    You can keep your exhaust. If you want an exhaust that produces the most bhp for Ditechs, it's the LeoVince ZX. If you want the second best pipe, it's the ZX-R. Dyno proven results.
    Install 5.1g rollers
    Red LeoVince Clutch springs
    Either the White or Purple contra spring from Malossi.
    You can keep your stock clutch, they are actually pretty good.
    You can keep your stock clutch bell.
    If you want smoother acceleration, use a Malossi 2000 Variator. But the stock variator is just fine.

I have to greatly disagree. Ditechs are not hard to tune.
    If you disagree with the performance of a restricted SR50 Ditech, go check out the AF1 forums. We know what we are talking about.

ZyX likes this.
  8. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

Quite bad advice there. Yes they are hard to tune in the UK as this is an generally english forum hence the .co.uk domain.

There is NOWHERE to remap a ecu. Parts are pretty hard to come by as well. You can buy a pretty impressively powered 70cc kit for a carbed bike for the price for a fuel pressure regulator and postage to the uk

Where are you getting your speed results from? A radar gun? Drag strip? How about size of rider, riding position?

9. 2T-Customs

2T-Customs New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50's
    He asked how to tune a Ditech, not if it was a good decision to get one. My advise answers his questions. To reach the speeds he wants, he can buy Malossi bbk and be done. 90% of suppliers that sell Ditech parts are in your neck of the woods.... Not the US. So yes, it's fairly easy. He doesn't need to de-restrict his ecu as the bbk kit replaces his ecu. I know quite a few riders over there that have a regulator they purchased from the US. But it's not needed. I never said it was cheap to tune. Carb scoots are much cheaper to tune yes you're right.

All speeds verified via radar/speeding ticket and GPS. I'm even at a very high elevation of 7000'. Normal riding stance and 180lbs rider.

10. DaNnY-S

DaNnY-S New Member

tErr0 is correct that they are hard to tune in the UK as not many have experience off them here compared to them being the most common form off fuel system in the US due to emission laws(i believe). You can get 65 out off a 50cc cylinder as there are a few guys on the AF1 forum that get around the 65 mark from there bike's without the BBK. You could get the speed's he wants with the kit you have recommended and i do believe so as its very commonly used on the AF1 forum with great results BUT if you want to get the best from the bike then you do need a DYNO to get all there RPM figures correct and the bike's Fuel pressure and transmission working to there best ability. But simple things like water traps can help Di-Tech's greatly!

11. rovers12

rovers12 New Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip sp70
    will it improve my acceleration/top speed on my 04 sr50 ditech if i buy a polini drive belt for it? any advice will be much appreciated, thanks

12. Daniel-S

Daniel-S New Member

Simply no...

13. youngz_156

youngz_156 Member

Rides:
    Cagiva Mito 125
    Have more luck selling it then tuning it mate, sell & get an Aerox, runner etc. Be 10x easier for u then

14. rovers12

rovers12 New Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip sp70
    Thanks mate, do you know if its possible to fit a kick start onto mine ( as they dont come with kick starts) cheers

15. ordinarygeordie

ordinarygeordie New Member

just so you guys know, it is possible to get a derestricted bike up to those sorts of speeds. i've been clocked by an accurate speedo doing 57mph on a flat on my 09 plate aprilia SR 50 R derestricted and thats before i had my stage 6 pro replica exhaust fitted.

also, the only main ways of tuning a scooter for a real performance upgrade would be better exhaust, racing or 70's carb, bigger cylinder kits, or air filters which let more air through (sports filter). but with a ditech, you pretty much have to change everything if your going to change 1 thing. everything it pretty much reliant on every other part. IE, upping the air filter would do little unlett you upped the carb which would do little if you didnt up the cylinder which would still not make much of a difference unless you upped the exhaust.
    basically, if you want to go faster, my advice would be to simply buy a larger engined bike (125 if you only have a CBT).
    even though i've said this, i'm still going to try make my engine blow up wir tuning mods hahaha

bottome line is, whatever you do to your scooter, enjoy it whilst its actually still running because we all know how easy they are to break :D

16. Daymyan

Daymyan New Member

I have a aprilia sr50 ditech 2004 how do know what engine it has. Need to know due upgrade exaust. And just to add to the speed conversation. Mine has has racing clutch and stage 6 clutch spring Leo vince exhaust big bore new injection and many more parts and min does 58mph and to the gentleman who has size 1 shoes trust me it does do it on the flats and there is one place I know that does re mapping but it's expensive 2 stroke is good .

17. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Wow this is an old thread..
    Personally i wouldnt bother those ditech systems are hidious, its not even proper injection.
    Your biggest power gains with EFI are through remapping and injector body changes.
    Saying that ive never tuned a ditech, just taken the limiter out, but i do have experience in other injector systems and aspects of tuning...

18. Bigdog4eva

Bigdog4eva New Member

Parts ain't as expensive as you lot are saying before you try saying that look scooter works or ped parts as for af1 they are supplied by same as scooter works and ped parts (piston kit with barrel £210 at af1 £36 at scooter works and £38 at ped parts

19. Bigdog4eva

Bigdog4eva New Member

Parts ain't as expensive as your making out view scooter works or ped parts

20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

210 is bloody extortion huh?! Can never understand how companies can charge such huge differences...