Aprilia Mojito 50cc....No Spark

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Del Sky, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Just had a quick look at the Aprilia Mojito, it's a 50cc 2002 model......bought as a non-runner because there is no spark.....not done any testing yet, just checked all the connections.....the odd thing is, when pressing the starter button, the engine won't turn, but the low two stroke oil warning light comes on.....it kicks over o.k so engine is not seized, it must be an electrical fault, but what ?......any thoughts welcomed.

2. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Mmmhhh.............just downloaded the manual for this model.....the low oil warning light is SUPPOSED to come when the starter is pressed, and then go out when the starter button is released, which it does......you learn something every day....

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Flat battery I guess

4. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    It's got a fairly well charged battery on it, I borrowed one off a mate until the new one arrives......plus it should start with the kickstart, in theory even with no battery at all...….a closer look tomorrow I think…..

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Earth points, clean everything

Del Sky likes this.
  6. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Success !!.....of sorts....we now have a healthy spark, I didn't realise that there was a kill switch on the handlebars......she still won't fire up, so now in the process of removing the annoying plastic, to allow access to the carb. the plug seems like new, but is very dry....I suspect fuel starvation.....

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Check the hoses, could be a split vacuum hose

Del Sky likes this.
  8. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Waiting for a new long reach plug spanner to arrive, as the plug is a bugger to get to.....going to try an old trick that I used to do on one of my Honda Sky's .....apply some drops of petrol into the plughole using a syringe, this somehow pulled the mixture through.....if that don't work then will strip the carb. down, and as scubabiker says, check the vacuum hoses.....

scubabiker likes this.
  9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Turn the motor over with no plug in before you do that too.
    Just gets rid of all the shit

Del Sky likes this.
  10. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    That's the Mojito registered in my name, and declared SORN.....might be a silly question, but I wonder if there are any narrower handle bars available for these scooters ?.....those mock ape hangers are way too wide, when the old girl finally sees the light of day, she will have to go down a narrow passage to get to the street, we had a job to get her up the passage to me shed.......

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I think they are special to the bike. Have a look at the clamp for the stem

Del Sky likes this.
  12. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    O.k thanks......the only other possibility is maybe I could cut an inch off each end of the bars, and move everything up a bit.....that would at least make them 2" narrower.....

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah that could work maybe.

Del Sky likes this.
  14. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    O.k....So the Mojito now has a full tank of new petrol, carb. stripped down and cleaned, all fuel lines and vacuum pipes checked, it has a brilliant spark, and compression, although not done a compression test yet.....and the little bugger STILL won't fire up....this leads me to believe it can only be two other things, 1. piston or rings, or 2. crank seals, thus not creating ENOUGH compression to drag the fuel up from the tank.....any thoughts welcomed.....

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

only one, compression test

16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

However, after you have cranked it and cranked it and cranked it, is the plug wet or bone dry?

17. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Bone dry Steve.....so fuel not getting through....

18. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

compression test then

Del Sky likes this.
  19. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Yes I reckon so.....will get my mate to do it.....

20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Reeds?

Del Sky likes this.