Anyone with experience haggling on new scooter price? (Honda Forza 300)

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by TheShnarlmaster, Aug 13, 2017.

1. TheShnarlmaster

TheShnarlmaster Member

Rides:
    Honda pcx 125
    Hi all

I passed my mod 2 on Friday so I'm now on the market for my scooter.
    Do dealerships like Honda or Yamaha have any wiggle room on their prices? I imagine they do but I'm not sure what's reasonable to expect.
    Like if you are getting a new scooter and want a few accessories like top box, higher screen so total will be around, say, £5k, is it realistic to ask for 4500?
    Or is just asking for the accessories for free more realistic, or is even that not likely.
    Cheers

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I would say its worth it, quite often they do deals with accessories.

3. TheShnarlmaster

TheShnarlmaster Member

Rides:
    Honda pcx 125
    Just an update in case anyone was following.
    I went along to a Honda dealer today.
    Turns out you can't get new Honda forza 300's any more - they have a new 125 forza out but no new 300's at present.
    I guess its possible the will introduce new style 300 forzas eventually but as I need this bike asap (commuting to a new job) I can't wait and see.

Instead I got a used (But nearly new: 2017 plate, 1600 miles) forza 300.
    Was priced at £4000, with a high windshield (which I wanted, so that's a bonus as it's an extra I won't have to pay for)
    And Honda quoted extra £400 to install new heated handlebars on it.

I managed to get it for £4100 with the new heated handlebars. So effectively £300 off the bike, or handlebars bought and fitted for £100 instead of £400.

I'm pretty happy with it. Really looking forward to picking it up.

4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Haggling is just a fly by wire thing, you have a go and if nothing comes you have not lost anything really.

now some dealers will throw in a cheapy jacket or a lid or maybe a set of gloves, it all depends on the dealership and there policy on discount, most shops have a discount policy for folks that work for them and some of these chaps pass that onto the rider, ie knocking a 5% discount ontop of purchase price so you get it a little cheaper, they get the sale and the bonus at the end of the month.

heated grips run around the 60 quid to 80 quid mark so you got free fitting , ie a free labour charge. shops charge by the hour most are around £50 an hour labour so in reality it looks like you got a steal but in reality you just got a discounted labour charge

4k for scoot , say 80 for the grips so you paid 20 quid for the labour costs to fit them, all dealers charge an arm and leg for work becasue they know they can get away with it, a local bike shop would have billed you around 50-75 quid labour for the hour , hour n half fitting the grips ( seat up bottom rail panels off, wire loom to grips and battery and controller, button it all back up ) .

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

400 for grips is too much. They should be gold plated for that price!
    Have you seen that "adventure" scooter honda do? Think its 750cc?

6. TheShnarlmaster

TheShnarlmaster Member

Rides:
    Honda pcx 125
    Oh I agree, I know you always pay top dollar at a dealership and their prices for accessories are always really expensive - I might want a top box but I've seen on websites I can get a top box for like £60 but Honda ones for the forza 300 are 200 or £350 for a small/large one - and I'm sure a dealership would also charge a substantial amount to fit one. So if I need one later I'll probably buy and fit it myself.

But I wanted the heated handlebars fitted, I'm not a technical guy so I wouldn't want to start messing with the bikes electrics

7. TheShnarlmaster

TheShnarlmaster Member

Rides:
    Honda pcx 125
    I agree. I was happy enough with £100
    Yea I think you're talking about the integra. Awesome looking thing - but I don't need it or the running costs

8. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    its fairly simple, red wire to pos on battery , black wire to neg on battery, then its just hiding the wires leading from battery to the handlebars. the hardest part is cutting off the old grips and getting the new ones on without splitting them ;)

9. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

The one thing about Hondas is they hold their used prices. When you come to sell it in the future if looked after you should still get a fair price for it.
    Don't know about the markup for the dealers on the big makes but I know on the lesser/cheaper makes the profit margin is very slim so discounts are a bit sparse however they can offer better discounts on clothing etc.
    Mainly the dealers rely on the ongoing business that a new or used machine generates over it's lifetime with servicing/spares etc. and a good dealer will cultivate a relationship so that you may go on to buy another from them when the time comes.
    Yes dealer costs are expensive but then they have a business to run with wages to pay as well as business rates and general running costs.
    If you can repair your own machines that's fine but lots of people can't and a new machine will require servicing to keep the warranty up to date.
    It might surprise you how little profit they actually get from a new machine.
    I have no issues and I don't work at a dealer but I have in the past lol

TheShnarlmaster likes this.
  10. TheShnarlmaster

TheShnarlmaster Member

Rides:
    Honda pcx 125
    Fair enough - I'll continue to feel like I got a reasonable deal today then! :)
    Wish I had it already. Can't wait to ride it away

11. Jenksy

Jenksy Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Titan
    If you've got what want at a price your happy with for a good quality machine then you have got a good deal! Enjoy and stay safe.