anyone got any experiance with candy flip paint?

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by gregzzz, Jun 10, 2009.

1. gregzzz

gregzzz New Member

Rides:
    nrg
  2. J.beazley

J.beazley Member

Rides:
    Yamaha AeroxR 70
    Same paint i bought for my panels once i get started on them. Company is good to deal with and have very useful tips and happy to help where they can.

Ive got the spray tins so colour maybe a little different to the paint out of a spray gun.

3. gregzzz

gregzzz New Member

Rides:
    nrg
    Cheers for the reply mate....got any pics of erm..your scooter with that colour mate? i wanna see what a home sprayed one looks like aswell to see if its worth getting it done..

4. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

have to use a bright silver base, have to have very even coats otherwise candy goes darker on edges, not for amaetuers tbh mate

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    streek city... as people have said the colour it sits at what angle is dependant on how evenly and steadily the coats have been built up... to do correctly you need to be pritty fucking good wiht paint. not for people who ask how hard it would be.... better off with a nice metalic base and a pearl clear over the top. not the easiest of things but a good finnish in pearl is easier than one in chameleon type paint

6. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

for pearl, u use a ground coat(colour of choice) pearl base coat over that while its still tacky then clear coat..another option is a laquer tinter which is coloured ground coat, then tinted laquer(gives a sort of flip paint effect as u can use say a white base then a blue tinter so it goes blue on the edges in the sun liek the old pearl cream typhs use to....both really easy once u get a feel for it..wouldnt suggest flip paint though its a mothers cunt lol...

7. nibbles

nibbles Active Member

buy tinted lacquer do you mean a product that can be purchashed or is it simply a small amount of base colour added into the lacquer

8. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

no its something u buy, what u put in the laquer to get the effect...putting base coat in the laquer would achieve nothing just make the base look patchy and uneven...i thought u was a painter mate?? swear i read that somewhere

9. nibbles

nibbles Active Member

bin paintin 2 months and wen you do a blow in a small amount is put in lacquer n i paint mets and standard stuff not candys n flip paint n shit .im aloud to ask questions arnt i ???

10. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Well I'm gonna be trying candy apple red so I'll let you know how I get on :rotfl: ...not in can form though, using a compressor.

:mod:

11. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

no u dont mix the base with the laquer i never do and never would causes reactions and cod eye, and i never said dont ask questions...just read u telling someone oh yh im a painter, not ive been painting 2 months

12. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

best way is to try mate :) best of luck ovoooooo :mod: haha lol

13. nibbles

nibbles Active Member

thats how my boss taught me and iv had neither cod eye or rections .iv bin paintin shit like 3 years but iv bin workin as a painter 2 months .cant wait to see yours jefro should look noiceee .

14. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

fairs then each to there own i suppose

15. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Yeah hope it comes out good nibs. I hate runs though :banghead:

16. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

w.e u do dont get runs in candy...have to repaint it if u do

17. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

?

But runs in any paint, you rub down the area and spray again? Well I have been.

18. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

nar mate, on say a standard i dunno black 2pac colour if it runs..as you said flat the run out and polish it as normal, or repaint if u brake through to the primer/ base coat.....but because candy is translucent(with a bright silver or gold base underneath) if the candy runs it sags and goes very dark nearly black, woudlnt matter about sprayin one panel again on a scooter as it dosent really have to match, but on a car you have to repaint the panel and blend it into the panels either side normally right up one side or whatever..looks like arse if you dont blend it tbh..best of luck though mate fingers crossed for ya

19. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    same as metalic... consistancey is more important.. as sonny said, flat colours can be varying thicknesses throughout a pannel aslong as the top is flat it will shine. metalics flips candy's and pearls are dependant entirely on how there apply'd.. the shine comes from the flat laquor above

20. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

very true my friend :good: