anti lock brakes

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by twodogs, Mar 31, 2017.

1. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Nice one.

This is why you keep your distance, use your judgement, barely touch your front brake, and leave yourself "an out" in the wet.
    You can see how the front wheel locked up and snatched round in this video.
    My arse twitched just watching that.

The make/condition of your tyres can also affect how the front end reacts in the wet, and not only on a bike.
    I've recently changed the tyres on my pick-up.
    It had Goodyear Wranglers on it.
    A good, known make of tyre, but...........when I looked at the EU label for that specific tyre, the braking efficiency in the wet was dire.
    It had an F rating, meaning it wasn't very good.
    It used to slide on every corner, and not only slightly.
    If I had known that when I bought the car I'd have changed them sooner.

Now it has Hankook's on, a mid range tyre, but the wet grip is a B rating, which is good, and it handles so much better now.

3. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    tell me more about these tyre ratings. never knew any of this

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Here's an example for you.
    http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rs...rd&Label=C-A-71-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-273988

Click on the EU label tab and you will see some info on the noise level, wet grip rating and economy fuel rating on it.
    There is an argument that it doesn't show enough information about the tyre itself, but really all I was interested in was how it performed in the wet under braking. I'm not fussed if the tyre only lasts for 20,000 miles on the car, it takes me 6 years to do that kind of mileage.
    Every tyre has an EU label these days, and in my opinion, how the tyre performs in the wet is a must know.

5. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    [​IMG] C [​IMG] A [​IMG]71 dB what your on about/ still none the wiser can you explain what it means

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

7. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

I've driven cars on skidpans but never seen a motorbike with skid stabilizers, looks like fun!!

8. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    very interesting I never knew any of that

9. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

If you go on any tyre site each tyre will have the ratings for wet grip and noise. "A" being the best most tyres are somewhere in the region of C/D for noise, fuel economy and grip. Go to www.blackcircles.com and enter your tyre size.