Aerox accleration issues

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Husky510, May 14, 2012.

1. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Have you tried playing about with the jetting, if its overjetted it will be slow on throttle response and accelerate slowly until the revs rise and it comes on song. Try dropping the main jet a bit and resetting the mixture screw,

Suzukistreetmagic1 likes this.
  2. Husky510

Husky510 Member

I did a plug chop today and just for my own security, i showed the plug to a local scooter shop... he said it was running perfect.... Even if the jetting was completely wrong, how does the bike move with such an overly adjusted clutch... it shouldnt move at all.

3. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Low speed bogging is usually caused by either carburation or drivetrain issues.
    My aerox has a 17.5mm dellorto with a 27 pilot jet and an 82 main jet with a standard airbox (snorkel removed) and malossi filter. I know you run a 19mm carb with a 105 main jet and 50 pilot jet which seems large to me.
    The problem may lay with the pilot jet as the mixture screw works on idle only three turns out is getting quite lean and this is probably to compensate for the large pilot jet. Dellorto carbs rely on the pilot jet for the first 1/4 or so of throttle opening and this could cause overfueling and bogging until the main jet takes over. Your plug will probably look okay as it will be running mainly on the main jet . Adjusting the needle height can help with this issue.

The drive train causes are usually centered on the variator not holding the revs steady in the power band, heavy rollers come out to soon not allowing the engine to reach the powerband before the belt is fully out, light rollers come out toosoon making the engine rev it's nuts off. I have a pollini highspeed variator with 4g weights and it works best for me. 3.6g in a Malossi variator seems ok. Stiifer clutch springs only serve to engage the cluch at a higher speed so the variator is already partially open before the drive is engaged a stronger contra spring can cause problems as it grips the belt tighter causes drag and is slower to react.

Your symptons sound like carb related to me. I'll post details of an excellent and easy to read guide on setting up carbs.

4. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
  5. Husky510

Husky510 Member

yes. i tend to agree, i think its carb related... esspecially the 50 pilot jet. I would love to try a different size jet, but no one in Oz has any on the shelf. Can you (if possible) send me a link to find a packet of different sized pilot jets??? I can find mains, but pilots are rare. The mains I can get through my local Jetski shop... but they laugh at me when i show them the pilot...

6. Husky510

Husky510 Member

thats a good write up!!! thanks Mr.Bizzle

Also too, my idle screw basically does nothing... the bike runs fine with the idle screw not even touching the slide... It doesnt even need the idle screw to keep it from stalling... it runs fine on its own. What does this mean?? anything???

7. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
  8. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Much too rich

9. Husky510

Husky510 Member

hmmm thats interesting!!! thnaks

10. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/Carburetor_parts.asp?CategoryID=2&PartsectionID=20

11. Husky510

Husky510 Member

just bought a 30,35 and 40.. thanks for the heads up

12. Husky510

Husky510 Member

ok, so I have bought some Malossi carbon reeds and it had improved it out of sight. I have lost alot of the dead spot which is great. I have even raised the rollers to 4.1g.

I did however put the red torque spring and the extra sleeve to make it really stiff. I have lost about 10klm/h top speed... would that be down to that???

picks up well now, but clutch still comes in way too early!!! Still runing the 50 pilot jet with 4 turns out on the carby... Still would like to go around 40 on it when they arrive.

13. FiddyRox

FiddyRox Well-Known Member

Rides:
    Aerox, CRF450, YZ125
    Yeah if the rear pulley is too stiff you will lose top end. If you've ruled it out as a problem then out it back how it was.

Maybe look in to a higher spec clutch then the motoforce?

14. Husky510

Husky510 Member

yeah , i think so... I can get a Malossi one... would that be alright???

15. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    It's gripping the belt too tight and sapping power.

Suzukistreetmagic1 likes this.
  16. Husky510

Husky510 Member

ok, so I got the pilot jets from dellorto Uk sent to me here in Oz. I recieved 30,35,40,45.... I ran them all and the original 50 jet is still the best. I tried the others with the mixture at different turns, but the bike would just die.. it really needed the 50 jet to get it going of the mark.

So really, I want to know why my bike is still reving at 4,000rpm at idle. The idle screw it no where near toughing the slide... could it be the cable??

Another thing, I got some up gears for it today as well as a Koso dash for accurate readings. The bike was doing 102klms/h at 12,000rpm (4.1g rollers, standard Yamaha skinny belt, without up gears).... now with the up gear kit, it does 110klms/h at 11,500rpm (3.5g rollers, Polini belt)... Anyones thoughts on that would be appreciated too. The new gears are 13/44.

17. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    I think that you need to get the bike on a rolling road to sort out the carb.
    The gear up issue is exactly what I commented on in another thread. The streetrace 70 kit has a very wide powerband holding maximum power to around 11000 revs, most other 70 sports kit peak at around 9500 revs then loose power rapidly and at 11000 revs are producing only about 6bhp. These other kits need the gear up to match the higher roadspeed to the peak power at lower revs. The streetrace kit does not necessarily need a gear up kit, if you do fit one it may go slightly faster but will cruise at lower revs. The reason that you can't get over 11500 revs is simply that it doesn't have enough power to push the bike any faster. The laws of physics are such that to reach a given speed a certain bhp is required and no amount of gearing will get you past it. The only way to pass that given speed is by supplying more bhp.
    In some circumstances a gear up kit can be detrimental to acceleration , at lower speed the variator will take care of the gearing but once it is fully deployed then further acceleration is down to the power delivery and if the engine is not in the powerband it may be sluggish until it gets there or even slow to accelerate whilst there.

So with your setup it looks like you've gained an extra 8kph at 500rpm lower, if you do a lot of open road work then this is a good gain as the engine will be less strained at these higher speeds and provided that the acceleration has not been compromised then you've won

18. Husky510

Husky510 Member

yes, it was an interesting experiment... acceration is still good, but i did drop the roller weight a little to compensate any loss... I might stick my ZX pipe on and see the difference in power delivery... thanks Mr. Bizzle for your input

19. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    I found that the zx pipe gives a little extra at the bottom end but loses out at the top end to the stage 6 sport rep which is the perfect match to the streetrace.

20. Husky510

Husky510 Member

o
    Ok i won't bother then, thanks