Advice on installing bigger motor into piaggio ZIP

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Nightrider, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Nightrider

Nightrider New Member

Hello
    Nice to meet everyone. I was actually frequently on Scooter shack many years ago but i took off traveling from Scotland and now settled in New Zealand.

Long story short.... i want to build another scooter. I've owned vespas and tuned autos for years and altho i am no master mechanic, i do know roughly what i'm doing. Any major work i get done by pros such as full motor rebuilds.

My idea is, buy and ship a runner engine from the UK/europe and stick it in a piaggio zip i'll buy here. There are reasons why i want to take this route and i'll explain why in future messages but for now i would like to ask the groups advice on any experience doing this engine swap. I understand ride quality and bike dynamics will change and some mild machining maybe needed along with longer shock but for now just looking for the parts list i may need to do this.

In New Zealand, you don't need a M.O.T (warrent of fitness WOF) here, you just jump on your 50cc and go so legally i'm not to fussed at this stage. To add, you don't need insurance either, or for a car. Great hey.

Advice pease

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    1. try and find a runner engine !

3. Nightrider

Nightrider New Member

That’s not what I asked or a problem for me.

Try again with some helpful advice.

4. Nightrider

Nightrider New Member

I
    I have just yesterday found one on an Aprilia sr with 125 leader engine here in nz, bargain bike, customer obviously unaware of its desirability.

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

How does it work if you have a crash there with no insurance?
    It's probably worth putting new front brake pads in, just so you know it will stop you well enough

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'm out.

Stevep likes this.
  7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If you go down the route of a piaggio 125 engine into a 50cc piaggio frame you are going to have to do some un-necessary work.
    Like fitting the silent block housing for a start. Then the proper work to the engine mounts to make it fit the frame without any sideways movement in the engine cradle and keeping it central to the bike in general.
    Without it, the bike will shake like a case of parkinsons disease.
    Then you have the electric side of things to contend with; different cdi, reg/rec, loom to the 50cc than the 125cc.

Why not look for a 100cc zip and mod that instead?

Your way will cost loads more in money and hassle, and if not done right, will be a nightmare to ride and you will regret ever starting the job and probably have to give it away or break it for spares.

If you've already found an SR125 with the leader engine in, have that and mod that to death. Provided it is the proper SR125 and not a SR50 with the engine changed......

Nightrider likes this.
  8. Nightrider

Nightrider New Member

I managed to get my hands on this beautiful thing! 15000km, very tidy completely standard for $1700. That’s probably around £800.
    Happy boy.