Scooter Shack Scooter Forum
The UK's biggest automatic scooter forum.
Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
ForumsMain Scooter TopicsGeneral Scooter Discussion

Advice for a short wannabe rider

Discussion in General Scooter Discussion started by Vandiola, 10 Oct 2015
Vandiola#1
Hello,

As the title suggests, I'm very short (4'10). I did actually go for a scooter lesson before Xmas, but it went disastrously. I couldn't get either of my feet on the floor without tilting to the side, and I felt so unconfident trying to actually ride the scooter I kept falling. The instructors were really nice and recommended that I try and find a place that has smaller/lower seated scooters. I've put it off for a long time, but I would so love to be able to learn to ride a scooter. I've struggled to find anywhere that has scooters for my size or even find a scooter that is small enough for me to start off with. If anyone could give me some help, I'd be so grateful.
MrXT#2
As a very tall person I have experience at noticing very small bikes but I don't know what would be the right size for someone of 4ft 10. A piaggio zip is pretty dam small, my knees fit over the handle bars quite nicely. Have you tried a zip before? A Yamaha vino also has quite a low seat height.
Mark Emerson Trentham#3
Might want to try looking at some slightly older models,i've noticed most modern/recent scooters have a tendency to have more plastic on them than Visa & crafted to give the impression of size.with possibly less user friendliness than bikes/'peds a few years ago.
Ridden a Zip/self,i'd try one on for your size.their fairly small/pretty fun too de-restricted.
A very good older model for you would be a Honda Vision 2t or SA50,dinky but brilliant,steer clear of a Melody though.lovely little bike but dog slow- would be ideal though if your not an overly confident rider,as you prob. could'nt get /self in much trouble with it.
Good luck.Mk.
Mark Emerson Trentham#4
Liked the SYM 2t 50 I rode,was nice.
TGB,what can I say/used to earn a living on one,the 50/125 price range is good compared to Japanese.European prices,reliability is excellent,an you could move your house if you get the 125 Delivery.;).
Mark Emerson Trentham#5
Tgb build quality is pretty good,they are after all mainly designed for works/delivery for most of the models.
Always check if the brakes are rubbing on em,had 67mph out of my delivery 125 on the North Circular/fully loaded with brake discs.;).......
Stevep#6
Strangely enough, I have to agree with accylad on this one.
Go round different bike shops, see what they have and try one for size.
It'll be the only real way to size one up for yourself, instead of taking someone's word for it.
Nothing more annoying than not being able to put your feet flat on the floor.
Vandiola#7
Thanks guys, really great advice. There is a scooter place in King's Cross that I often go past so it would be worth having a look around it. But there's still the issue of how to actually pass the test since most schools I've enquired at don't offer bikes suitable for my size.
Mark Emerson Trentham#8
Thanks guys, really great advice. There is a scooter place in King's Cross that I often go past so it would be worth having a look around it. But there's still the issue of how to actually pass the test since most schools I've enquired at don't offer bikes suitable for my size.
Rent one.;).
Mark Emerson Trentham#9
SYM Mio,dinky,quite cute actually.
Clocked something on google you might want to research European low profile seats.Mk.
MrXT#10
Thanks guys, really great advice. There is a scooter place in King's Cross that I often go past so it would be worth having a look around it. But there's still the issue of how to actually pass the test since most schools I've enquired at don't offer bikes suitable for my size.

What part of the UK are you in? Theres an I instructor that does cbts in the large car park where I work and he has some very small scooters. Think he has two zips, I sat on it when he came in with them and I couldnt get both my knees in.
Stevep#11
You are allowed to take the cbt on your own bike, just have someone else ride it there for you. Take all your paperwork as well.
Give the school a ring just to clarify first.
Vandiola#12
What part of the UK are you in? Theres an I instructor that does cbts in the large car park where I work and he has some very small scooters. Think he has two zips, I sat on it when he came in with them and I couldnt get both my knees in.


I live near London
Vandiola#13
You are allowed to take the cbt on your own bike, just have someone else ride it there for you. Take all your paperwork as well.
Give the school a ring just to clarify first.


The one where I originally tried to do my test wouldn't allow outside scooters, but I could definitely try that, thanks
MrXT#14
I live near London

Hes in London. I don't think he has a website but its called robs riders.

If you are interested give me a PM and I'll give his number and address.
Mark Emerson Trentham#15
Of course your going to be posting up a 'pic on here,once you've passed.?.:).
Vandiola#16
Of course your going to be posting up a 'pic on here,once you've passed.?.:).


Ha, of course! It'll look like a child standing against a lorry :/
scubabiker#17
im a short arse, i have stumpy little legs and long arms. i find the piaggio zip is probably the lowest/smallest scooter. the peugeout kisbee/vclic are both quite small too. well worth checking them out. or you could get a honda dax/monkey? but they are geared bikes....

More threads in General Scooter Discussion

gears or auto1 replies2 Nov 2015
will it pass mot1 replies29 Oct 2015
Falling off bike advice6 replies29 Oct 2015
Cyprus3 replies25 Oct 2015
Scooter shop delivery times86 replies18 Oct 2015
Aprilia sr 1255 replies11 Oct 2015
Spark plug alright? *PIC HEAVY*13 replies9 Oct 2015
Need more speed2 replies3 Oct 2015
Full tool kit for Gilera runner7 replies30 Sep 2015
Bike rattles4 replies30 Sep 2015