A worthy project? Typhoon/speedfight

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by chickenchaser, Jan 23, 2018.

1. chickenchaser

chickenchaser New Member

Hi all, found your forum very useful and just wanted to ask some quick questions. I want to do a scooter project, starting with a new bike and as time goes by add more and more to it.
    My favourite at the moment is the typhoon 125. It’s a good price, looks good, plenty of parts available etc. The downside, imho, is that it’s air cooled. I know this has its upsides but one thing I would like to know is how much tuning it will take before overheating becomes an issue? Converting it to liquid cooled seems illogical as the engine will be new.
    Secondly I was considering a speedfight. Again looks good, little more pricey but is water cooled. I’ve seen people talk about them on here however with little affection and heard about problems with stability and handling. They also seem to be overly complicated mechanically compared with typhoon etc. Would anyone else support this?

I want to do the works to whatever I end up going with, over time. 172 kit, carb, jet, exhaust, bar conversion etc (don’t mention the neon lights) So want to choose one which has good scope for tuning.

What i’m really asking is;
    1) Typhoon yes/no? How long before aircooled won’t suffice.
    2) speedfight? Worth the bother?
    3) anything else you guys would recommend over the previous two, bearing in mind price, looks and tunability(?)?

Any points and help greatly appreciated.

Harry

2. typh-gilly99

typh-gilly99 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 125 2T
    If you are talking about the about the 2 stroke version of the Typh, id go for that. 172 kit, standard exhaust or a runner exhaust, 25m carb jetted to suit will give you plenty of power.

3. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Or fit a Gilera runner engine in the typhoon, drop's straight in just need's a rad in the front. And as I think about it I have a full set of panels for a typhoon, nrg front panel all painted ready to fit BUT you need to loose front petrol tank!! You can see the panels in the for sale forum, "typhoon for sale" Randy Mamola colour scheme.