A few quid to spend but what mod?

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by JerseyJim, Jul 16, 2011.

1. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

i wouldnt bother, who would buy it? :p but yeah, go for a yasuni c16 or similar if youve got a 70's kit, you need a nice revvy pipe

2. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Yasuni c16 is totally pointless on a sports kit. Get much more out of a Yasuni R/z Leo TT. etc. Yasuni C16 is more mid-race. But yeah I saw that exahust on Ebay. Looks shockingly shit. I'd go for pedparts or Scooter attack (Pedparts personally as there round the cornor from me haha.)

3. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    some mug like me hopefully :blush:

im gonna need some serious money looking at the shopping list your drawing up for me... Maybe its time to sell the children, or the V8 landrover... nah the children... :thumbsup:

4. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Deffo the children. You could do it on £300 I recon. (Including rollers/setup/

5. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    :D kids might not like only getting £300 for them, im sure i could get more...

As for pipes are LV tt's the only way to go or are other options like Endy, Technigas, Gianelli or the stage 6 proreplecia worth considering?

6. brettfield999

brettfield999 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 172
    Not endy, not techniBRASS!, Had a Leo Vince TT and ZX both good choices for a 70cc iron sport barrel. Had a gianelli reverse too and that was okay. Had a malossi one which sounds great but snapped and apparently this is common so maybe steer clear of that one. Malossi items are usually good quality but hey.

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    WHY upgrade the carb? every other post i see says "id get a bigger carb" but you havent.. so why sudgest it? they race on 19/21mm carbs... on evo's.,... a 17.5 is more than enough to make good power from a 70. not saying it wont help make more having a bigger carb, but its SUCH a misconception the 17.5 is no good.

pipe, then kit... as for malossi parts.. they are great quality.. your refering to rrep parts (ie malossi replica parts made in china under licence....) anything with REP written on it is basicly cheap shit for people who want it for the sake of having it.. pick up an mhr team pipe and tell me its crap quality (there tig welded titanium... fucking artwork and the sheer weight of the thing is less than a blue slim) but ye, the rep pipes ARE shockingly shit

decent pipe (yasuni all the way) and the apropriate matched barrel (depending on what pipe your going for) if your budget is low then you can get a GOOD pipe/barrel combination for less than 250 new... shop about for the pipe and you can get the pair for around the 200 mark (sport setup) or if you throw another 100 at it you get yourself something a little more revvy (mid race) ALL of wich will run FINE on a 17.5mm carb.

8. brettfield999

brettfield999 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 172
    I'm sure that it was the MHR rep I had that snapped. Nothing wrong with the 17.5mm I'm sure I've had one on one of my nrgs; just wouldn't want to get the 17.5 then upgrade again to a 21mm, as I say personal preference and its not that much more for a 21mm. Depends how frugal you are with your BP money.

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    im asuming the 17.5 is stock on the bike. if its got a pesky 13mm carb then up to a 17.5... there pennys on ebay (ill send one out for a score posted LOL) upgrading means money, money he does NOT need to spend just yet.. 17.5 keeps things simple, is usually stock fitment (so you have factory jetting to go by) and usually are absoloutly fine on anything that revs up to 12,000rpm LOL go bigger when needed and quite frankly its not needed, not warrented and DEFFO a bad purchace for anyone on a budget....

10. brettfield999

brettfield999 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 172
    It must be one of those little 12mm weber carbs, i t. I had 1 in my 1st old NRG and his is a a old Zip RST unless the previous owner upgraded. No matter 17.5 will improve throttle response no doubt but its up to you.

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    some runners also had the pissy lil carb, the inlet wich went wiht them is shockingly small also... so if this is the case a new inlet and 17.5mm carb should be added to the wish list.. if yours has the 17.5 then just concentrate on a pipe and kit for now. nothing else will give the same gains as these 2 will, if you have dogh left in your budget upgrade the pipe and carb combination :)

12. lshigham

lshigham Member

I've got one in the workshop, they're so small I can't fit my little finger through the venturi. Some idiot had fitted a sport 70 kit with a S6 pro exhaust, but had re-used the restricted inlet manifold and 12mm carb - and the rest of his work wasn't much better lol.

13. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Endy is wank. Technigas is called techniwank tt/yasuni z/stage 6 pro rep are good :)

14. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    the tt i wouldent really list as a "good pipe" its the bear minimum id use... try and avoid them if possible as there cheap shit at the end of the day... just bearly tollerable shit :D if your buying new avoid like the plague. only really any good if you find one cheap. but they do love an iron kit :)

15. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    well that made some interesting reading, thanks MC for your in put that has put a slightly different spin on things again. I do intend to go for a iron kit, the polini sport. As for pipe ive been looking on ebay not wanting to buy new if i dont need to and cheapest seems to be a Gianelli, there is a SS pro replica that's affordable so im gonna put a bid in on that but will look again if i dont win...

So my purchase track will be zaust, 17.5mm carb (if you've got a 'spare' kicking around id be more than happy to liberate it from you for some beer tokens) then the 70 kit...

The scoot is running a 12/13mm carb atm...

One other thing, will a zip Sp front fork set up be a good upgrade, my current forks are tired and stick down under heavy breaking and if they will fit then i will look for some a another later date mod??

Thanks again everybody for all of your input :D

16. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    If you mean the new sp forks then in my opinion they're terrible, sorce replacements for yours or new air cooled forks might fit, Someo one correct me if i'm wrong :)

17. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    your wrong.. TOTALLY off the mark. the zip sp front end is fucking amazing, piaggio have used it for years on LOADS of bikes, hence polini/malossi/everyfuckingtunningcompanyontheplanet use the sp to race. unbeatable in the bends. just upgrade the stock shock as its a scooter, its made cheaply.

MAKE SURE you get a set of sp forks to match your year of bike, the fork fitment on the older bikes is different to the newer ones. the front pannel for the old shape sp is pure plastic sex

[​IMG]

18. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Sorry, Was just going on the new sp I tried well it was a 06. Forks must of been buggerd. But the old school zips are the sex. Bring them back !!

19. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    i rode a 60 plate sp... banging handeling. havent changed the forks.. just the bottom bearing mount (bigger on newer ones so it lasts longer) no change atall. the shocks like any scooter dont last long, i suspect it was fucked after 5 years

20. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    oh and ill have to let you know about the carb when im home, house sitting for my sister till next week :)