50cc to 70cc making it official

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Northernerbill, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

Hi everyone.

Have any of you recently up’d your scoots from 50cc to 70cc and done the work yourselves not through a garage?

If yes and you’ve registered it with the DVLA what did you actually have to do.

Inspections? Proof of purchase? Copy of work carried out on headed paper?

What did it actually cost for any of that?

Does the tax go up from this?

Insurance, what did they want? What extra cost was involved on your premiums.

Lastly if you have done this and not gone official how does this affect getting it MOT’d

Thanks Bill

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If you are 16 and put a 70 kit on, you're screwed. Not driving in accordance with your license. Bike seized, crushed, insurance voided, court, fine, points.
    If you are 17, it shouldn't make any difference because you can legally ride a 125cc with your cbt. But you should tell your insurance company about the mod which they will probably either tell you NO, or more likely hit you hard in the pocket, their preferred way.
    Not sure about the DVLA thing really, you could always say you changed the engine and that was the way it came and deny all knowledge.
    DVLA are not really fussed about engine changes in small scooters, or any bike to be honest, they know it happens, it when the frame number is changed they get hissy with inspections and stuff.
    MOT won't care as long as it's safe, road worthy, and not too loud.

MARSH likes this.
  3. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

Cheers bud, yeh it’s not an age thing or cbt in my case, purely wanted any know how and costs from anyone who’s done it.

The mot part is good news though thanks

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Fitting the kit is easy really, depends if it's 2 stroke or 4.
    2 strokes are piss easy, 4's you have to deal with timing chains and stuff, but easy enough.

5. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

Cheers Again mate.

Yeh it’s not the fitting of it, age of rider, cbt etc.

Just wondering if anyone of normal age has done a big bore kit and then registered it with both DVLA and insurance or either one individually and what that took and any costs incurred.

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Personally I wouldn't bother. Most of these kits don't look any different to a 50cc.
    As has been said if you register it as 70cc it will no longer be a moped so when you sell it will be no good to anyone who is 16.
    I wouldn't mind betting it would be cheaper to insure a standard 125 than a modified 50 even if you are older and have a full licence.
    The insurance industry doesn't like anything "out of the ordinary" and is not on their computer.
    If you had a speedfight 50 and put in the 100cc engine they probably wouldn't have a problem as Peugeot made a 100cc version.
    Most Piaggios/vespas would be good and easy to make legal as they made lots of versions with different engines.
    Re the MOT it will be tested ok as they go by the vin.
    Steve it's all changed now re engine changes. It's more a legal thing not about what you have put in.
    If you changed the engine( capacity is not important) and wanted to change the v5 you would have to get a recognised engineer to inspect the numbers correspond to the changes you have declared. My local MOT man wrote out a declaration on headed paper, on a diesel bike I made, for free. It's not a mechanical inspection.
    These days if changing any engine(even a bog standard like for like) on the v5 it needs an inspection so keep any receipts etc.
    If you just send off the v5 to notify an engine change you'll get a letter back asking for an inspection.
    Once again if picked up after an incident the insurance could be declared null and void opening you up to driving without insurance etc.
    As long as you don't go silly and make it obvious that it has been "tuned" it shouldn't be a problem as the police will be more interested in someone who is 16 on L plates.
    I myself have a 70 kit on a 50 DNA and the barrel has 50cc cast on it lol.
    I'm old by the way so have very little chance of being pulled as I should have more sense:p:p:p

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  7. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

What scooter are you thinking of changing?

8. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

Yeh I’m old too (used to have a DNA).

Mine is a Vespa LX50. I’ve actually fitted the 70cc kit last weekend. It doesn’t have anything stamped on it, plus it’s totally encased in black plastic.
    Sounds no different either so may well leave well alone.

9. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Best option lol Have you derestricted it ?

10. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

Yeh de restricted, Polini variator and contra spring, clutch springs and a MALOSSI Flip exhaust.
    Even running it in half throttle it’s got more go in it.