1995 Piaggio Typhoon 50 LC conversion and general upgrade

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by GeorGE Black Rider, Jul 10, 2016.

1. GeorGE Black Rider

GeorGE Black Rider Member

I have a 1995 (as the serie suggest) Piaggio Typhoon you can see here https://www.facebook.com/GeorGEBlaC....140833772638868.30451.100001367394298&type=3 .

My clutch overheated and broke back in 2008-2009 and the scooter is sitting since then due too expensive new parts.
    Recently i've been thinking to look for used replacement ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION (as a whole) but if i'm replacing them anyhow and i'm preety heavy myself i want to replace it with a 80 (if i can find a water cooled one with disk brake) if not i will swap an equal 50cc wth this caracteristics.

Basicly,now i have only 3 questions :

1 : The sidewall height diffecence between 12" with 140/70 (the max on 12") and 130/80 (the tallest sidewall i can put) is just 6mm (higher on 130/80),so they should work,right ?

2 : Are the NRG fork serviceable or 1 time use like TPH ? DO you know any fork from other scooter that will fit right in ? Do you know a site with the fork dimensions ? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

3 : Do i need a different wire loom or just add another independent wire for the water termometer ?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  2. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

On Gilera Stalker, the version with rear disk brake, it was hidraulic. They had same engines as typhoon, at least the 50cc (mine is the hiper1, with triangular air box)

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

3. GeorGE Black Rider

As you can see (i think) mine is the version with triangular air filter (that i then changed to sport one,but,despite the awesome sound,it drew in water and changed it back to factory).
    Was you're engine water cooled ?
    What size was the wheel ?

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Sell it and buy a better more up to date 125cc to start with, save you a lot of time and effort.

5. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

Air cooled, rear with 130 90 tires in 10 alloy wheels

6. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

Why not a 90cc kit on it, exhaust, crank, rollers, longer final trans, sports variator and rollers...
    Will go like hell. But you can put it a 125cc from the 125 typhoon 2t. Actually I do suppose you can fit the gilera runner engine there too. (They had a 125cc and I think even a bigger one)
    Everything is possible. Just requires time and creativity. Never give up

7. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    There's plenty of members with plenty of experience who could help you but please ask one question at a time, I could wright an essay on all the questions you asked about!

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  8. GeorGE Black Rider

I heard there it 80 cc factory engine,thus i can get it preety cheap (if it gotwater cooling and disk brake).If not i will use a normal 50cc with this caracteristics.
    Besides,i don't want to invest in it,as i only want to make it run FACTORY and be sure everything is working PERFECTLY (as it sits for the last 8 years).
    Do sport variator and rollers (more so if they're the same weight allready in it) make a difference,even without a sport clutch ?
    Can i simply put variator and rollers sport with everything standard ?

Also,i would love if some1 can tell me the name of this aftermarket clocks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  9. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

Or just get a piaggio ngr, I guess those came water-cooled.
    With the amount you may spend on your typhoon, then get a ngr.
    Or an Yamaha aerox.

10. GeorGE Black Rider

I've tested a Yamaha Aerox when i bought ths one (at 15 years old,now i'm 25) and it wass way too small and cramped for me.
    I didn't grow (or at least,i didn't think so) since then,but i'm preety tall anyway at 1.92 m (ot 6 foot 5).
    I like typhoon not only for the space i have for legs,but also because all the weight is in the back and thus,using the back brake,you can get away from manny situations,where if on a motorcycle or scooter with weight more upfront,you would fall (because of using the front brake).

Yes,NRG were made both water cooled and air cooled,like typhoon,NRG MC1 beeing almost identical to TPH,with a different front mask.
    Any scooter i would get would cost me at least 250-300 pounds,while buying a engine-transmission ansamble would cost,at the most,80-90 pounds.
    Besides,my scooter is perfect,nothing wrong except the transmission and crankshaft.

Thus,can you guys please suggesting another scooter.
    I just wanna know what liquid cooled disc brake engine i can swap directly.

11. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  12. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    A 70cc barrel+ jetting would work real good with very little else done. I think the SKP/ stalker had a disc rear brake 10" wheel like the typhoon. Your headlight look's to be a after market unit.
    You can drill a small 3mm hole in the fork legs a few cms from the tops, spray some chain lube/ silicone spray/ oil in and work the forks up/down. It will drip out down the stansion but will make them work again! The original forks only ever had a dob of grease in them to start with, that's why there crap! I only wipe my forks at M.O.T time, the oil keeps the rust off.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  13. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'll swap your headlight for a standard one!!

14. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

The stalker had both with and without rear disk brake. My stalker is drum on the rear...

15. GeorGE Black Rider

Thanks mate :D

- I would like a factory 80cc engine (if i could find one suited for my asking,if not,damn it,i'll choose a 50cc LC disk brake one) because it's stock,thus last longer than this tuning kits who are made for very rare,ocasional,childish sprints,not every day runing.Plus,i think,the tuning kits are marked as such (thus,can't pretend it's stock) aren't they ?
    How much would it cost,anyway and what is that "little else" needed ?
    Jetting ? You mean the air-fuel mixture ?

- It seems stalker was both variants too.Also,i won't mind a bigger wheel (like 13" NRG one) if there are so big but with balooning (or whatever is called) as the 10" one.I would also love the bigger disk.

- Whell,if I drill it,won't it come out every time it works ? Am i supposed to cap it some way ?
    Should i spray all 3 of them or any one of them (cuz silicone it's what's used in pluming,thus not a oily,flowing liquid,thus thinking you mean for for caping) ?
    Stansion ? What's that ?
    If i were to swap it,wich one would you recomend (of wich scooter) that is a straight swap and can be refiled (if necessary) ?

- The headlight in the pictures is NOT mine (you can watch FB for mine),but the one close to what i'm thinking about.
    Standard one is RUBISH at making any light,thus i'm thinking of choosing one like this,with magnifier in front,for a abruptly "cut" and strong light,though i would prefer 2 short beam "tubes" not 1 for each.
    By the way,can i put HID in the stock one ? As it's not as focused as the one with magnifier,would it lit up good ?

Are the disk brake ones,water cooled ?

16. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

No mate, all stalker are air cooled.
    Curiously the light of mine sucks too.
    May I ask why you want liquid cooled?

17. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I use a LED bulb in my standard light unit, it seem's to work better than std bulb! The stansion is the chrome part of the forks and nothing will come out, don't drill in to deep, 1_2mm only. You won't find an 80cc very easy + no spares available any more, well not in the UK any way. An air cooled NRG will fit straight in, if L/C then you'd need to fit a radiator, typhoons were never designed to have a rad, the NRG front will fit on (Mc2) Mc3 will need inner leg shield as well, but then your stuck with crap lights again!! A 70cc kit will give plenty of torque when used with the std exhaust.

18. GeorGE Black Rider

I don't know what's the problem,maybe the reflector's (too),but my light only lights 2-3 m in front of me.
    Off course you can.I want it because i'm heavy (100kg) and because,despite the constant mowning and ironic of the Top Gear,the planet is warming,and in my city,we didn't have lasting snow since 2006 and at the end or april 2013 there were 40 degrees celsius.
    Now,they're around 45 degrees and won't seem like slowing down.Even at nightime,when you think it's cold,it's not.When it start to cool down,at 2-3am,it doesn't long much till the sun rises and heats again.After,all the concrete and asfalt absorbs the heat and release it during night.It's WORSE than in desert,where,temperatures fall to 0 degrees celsius at night.
    In this rate and with this weight,my scooter'll be dead in a short time.

- Does the bulb do anything or a very slight improvement ? Does it work like this ?
    May'be i'll just put that monster on my handlebar or instead or stock light :)

- If it's only 1-2 mm only,could i pump oil in it and reach where it should ? Won't rain also get it ? How much would a replacement (used,from another compatible scooter) swap cost and wich scooters are compatible ?

- I find some 80 cc in my country but are rare indeed.I know typhoons were never intended,but with a bit of engeneering,i'll secure it.
    They weren't made of it,but it has air holes in the front,so i'll be good.I've also seen 1 mounted above the engine,but there the air won't reach it.I want and need LC.There is no alternative for my situation.
    How much will a 70cc kit cost (for water cooled ones) ?

The question is,if i need to modify/change the loom,or just add another wire for the water termomether ?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  19. GeorGE Black Rider

Well,nobody want to answer me any more ? o_O:(

20. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

I dont know much q.q