183 low rev problems

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by charlie dolling, Feb 20, 2017.

1. charlie dolling

charlie dolling New Member

Hi,
    Low down revs I'd say up to half throttle there it's any real pull.. front wheel can't even leave the floor.. once I get full throttle there's power but don't seem to be the high rpm and power it should be.

I got a stage 6 reed block
    25mm carb (100 main jet 50 pilot)
    Polini filter
    172 kit
    Polini belt
    13.5 malossi rollers

I had a 172 before and I couldn't keep the front wheel down now it's nothing like that.

HELP!

2. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

What revs does it get to before pulling away? Might be worth trying stiffer clutch springs so it builds revs up before engaging? Maybe go lighter on the rollers as youve only dropped from a 15.5 to the 13.5s i assume so maybe step down to 11.5s? Did your new stage 6 reed block have a straight inlet? Perhaps upjet a little more to compensate for the improved air flow but if its slower on the first 50% rev range try adjusting the needle by dropping the clip down a notch first. Trial and error with clutch, rollers and jets.... now thats what comes with tinkering and changing things, improved performance after weeks of hair pulling and changing settings.

3. charlie dolling

The power only starts coming in around half throttle proper pulling.. before they stay quite low.. It had 11.5 gram rollers in it already! The inlet is a mallosi with a slight bend outwards.. I put the 11.5 back in and it's running a lot better.. still not proper power though.. think I need to get 125 gears and keep the mallosi secondary? I got a d25 needle on top clip with a 100 main jet in it atm..

4. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Does the clutch engage at low revs? If you have a rev gauge then rev the bike and see when it bites, post the result. Clutch might be engaging too soon meaning it will take time to build up revs and speed. Different clutch springs will sort that out if t is engaging too early.
    What are the standard rollers for your bike? If 11.5 then consider dropping lighter.

5. charlie dolling

Standard size is 15.5 I believe for a gilera 180 engine..
    I'll check tomorrow on the revs when it bites and I'll keep you updated.
    Thanks for your reply bud

6. charlie dolling

I have blue clutch springs atm