180 variator or malossi

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by monty9120, Nov 27, 2006.

1. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    im going to get a 172 kit after christmas. when im free of ?500 of debt :w00t:

anyway in my spare engine i have a 180 variator and gears but i was wondering if a malossi variator was a good investment. i know there nearly 100 but is it really worth it or wont i get the performance i expect from spending that money.

also toying with the idea of a scorpion but im looking at the spec of

172 malossi kie, 180 variator and 180 gears as well as 13.5 gram rollers for now. scorpion will come if i can find ?200 squid

cheers

2. jacksp

jacksp New Member

your in ?500 debt :msn1:

i thought you bought and sold all these bikes youve had, to make profit! LMAO :w00t:

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    malossi variators arnt that much better than the 180 item (unless you go for the mhr version wich is 140) the 180 will do fine, forget a pipe too as there a waste of money untill you got a few real tuning bits.

next logical step is a biger carb..

4. james

james Member

I been runing 180 variators for years and they worked well but i put a mlossi variator in the other week and it ran so much better than the 180 infact i was shocked at how much better it was on my setup and the same thing on one of the old race drags we was runing 180 variator and was doing 14secs q/miles then for the next meet put a malossi variator in still runing the same 34bhp but it was so much better and with time over a second faster you can deffo notice it !!

5. Rizla Rhys

Rizla Rhys New Member

yh m8 i agree when i took the 180 vari out and put my malossi one in u could tell a difference big time! much better...

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ye much better for all out accel, but crusing and top speed a 180 is better.. also you have to get the mhr variator not just the plain old malossi one as there IS a world of difference on them