180 tuning, here i go......

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by tommi_balls, Mar 21, 2011.

1. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    well if im visually looking at from a quality pov then hummmm. Theres cheap looking plastic infills and the conrod is covered in scratches. Machining looks reasonable though on webs. However im yet to test it out on the road to see what it feels like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    need to check something here urgently. fitting this yellow malossi torque controller thing. it seems to sit on the edges of the sharp locating ring on the backside of the clutch. nothing now rests directly on the rear of the clutch face as it does standard. As an engineer this doesnt feel right as the plastic washer is in shear force now nor does it fit particularly tight inside this ring on the clutch. The instructions say it goes on the clutch end. Heres my fag packet piss artist impression and some pictures.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

I'd throw it in the bin. Those things are a load of crap.

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    the gears allways come out with a big bang lol... 10 tonne will do it, but only in the right hands. even the SLIGHTEST miss allighnment befor the first contact and its never gonna go in. done a good 20+ with a lil 10 tonne, not to say it wasent maximum pressure to get the bastard moving.

tortion control can go ether end. it doesent mater wich end of the spring turns.. it will just turn the opposit way. the idea is that the spring simply spins while its being compresed...not such a good thing as youd think tho....

5. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    yea i gathered they are not the best thing. I emailed half the malossi dealers in the country and it turns out they dont fit alot of standard clutches. thats funny nobody said that before they took my money, gits. I wonder how many people have just slapped them in seating on the locating ring lol
    I left it out and just put the standard type in. On assembly i found i needed another 0.5mm push on the gear as it was bloody close to the washer on the pinion, so did just that. Yea you really do have to get them perfectly square or you will die of old age trying.

put it all back together and it ran sweet as a nut for 50min, then died. (see other thread)

6. grantmc3

grantmc3 Member

Rides:
    piaggio nrg mc3
  7. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    thats a good find mate. I might try it on the clutch end and see what happens.

On another note got another Malossi CDI ordered and booked a dyno session to set it all up later in the week here in essex.

Interestingly a guy at psn told me a white contra spring is softer than standard, i dont want a gear up kit on there as it will not have the power to pull and i need a malossi vairator instead, oh and the original CDI is better than the MHR item. whatever!

8. tErr0

Funny thing is that it seems totally random when it comes to malossi contra springs. I've seen long ones, short ones, etc. Same with the standard item! Some are strong as fuck and some are weak.

9. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    im starting to think malossi isnt always what its cracked up to be. I cant say ive had a good experience with any of their parts so far from a fitting pov.

I just want to ride the darn thing now!

EDIT. bike is going in shop thursday for roller and jet settings (providing the new CDI fixes ignition prob). If thats all good he will MOT then i can ride it the 50 miles home on friday.

10. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    wel tried the new cdi, bike dead, new coil still dead. ffs new stator it is then!

11. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    edit:
    finally the scooter is back on the road, rides like a totally different bike now with all the suspension and engine mods. Made 17.8 rwhp which is about what i expected. Happy with that.

will make a proper post with pics when i get a sec. Is it possible to have this thread moved to a project thread?

12. tErr0

Might make more sense just to start a new topic as theres a lot of random crap in this one.

13. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    the malossi whoop disc said i was to use special pads to avoid damage to the surface, is this marketing bolox or do i need malossi pads?

Under the runner seat there is a set of cleats that look like they hold a round tube or hose about 1" in a groove in a U-shape. Like it was meant to hold an original item. What on earth would you store in that? a lock?

Ive tweeked the roller weight slightly as the dyno guy didnt have the correct weights in stock. he said i needed 12g and ive made 12.7g using 2 sets, it rides perfectly. Is it bad for the variator if i leave it like this?

14. tErr0

Malossi make 3 different types of pads and the material is pretty universal so i'm guessing it's bollox.

The rollers will wear unevenly if they are different weights. This can cause all sorts of weirdness so it's a much better idea to run matched rollers.

15. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    just a bit of an update really. Bikes still zipping about just fine. Not really used it and I think i've only covered 1200 miles since the engine rebuild.
    Just bought my first house and I figure the bike will probably end up for sale asap which is a shame as I spent a whole heap of cash on it.
    Having a clear out too, I still have the standard 180 barrel for sale if anyone needs one, a brand new malossi CDI and standard crank.
    I think it would be a shame to sell but her indoors wants a new kitched when we move in!

16. boweze_runner

boweze_runner SR172 amazing but sold !!! dragster again soon :D

Rides:
    Italjet Dragster 180
    if you ever want to sell it plese give me a shout i am looking for a runner :)

17. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    stuck the ol' girl on Ebay today folks with a fresh MOT and a few new parts fitted. I've had my fun and I think it's time to pass it on to another good home :)

18. connor

connor Active Member

Got the link mate?

19. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    am I allowed to post it??

20. connor

connor Active Member

Unsure? If not make a for sale post an stick it in there?