17.5 dellorto

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Undercover Runner, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Undercover Runner

Undercover Runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP
    Hello Dave, thanks for the reply, the bike is 5 months old but I'll give the crank a good clean, havent checked the plug yet, going to devote part of my weekend doing that, plus I've ordered a couple be9ix's just waiting for them to arrive I'll do it all at once

2. Undercover Runner

Undercover Runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP
  3. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

4. Undercover Runner

Undercover Runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP
  5. Undercover Runner

Undercover Runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP
    i put in all the weights that came with the new stage6 race clutch, if that makes any difference?

6. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

ok regarding the spacer, if a new spacer comes with the variator, you remove the one already on the crank shaft and replace with the new one...

as i already said in an earlier post, you have to check the pulleys are in line with each other, or it will cause running problems, that will dictate which spacer you use.

maybe the alignment is best with the old spacer in, and the new one isnt used at all....

regarding the clutch, the weights will make the clutch shoes heavier, meaning the clutch will come in with less slip and more force, setting a clutch up isnt about just bunging all the weights on because they were supplied, you experiment, the clutch is adjustable, you adjust it to your requirements....

7. Undercover Runner

Undercover Runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP
    thanks for the info, regarding the spacer, I did not receive one with my new variator, does that mean i shouldn't run with one? secondly will the clutch weights lower speed in general?

8. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

if no spacer came with the variator, im assuming you bought the variator brand new, then i would assume one isnt required...but i must stress, the question to your answer can only be answered by checking your pulleys are in alignment, even if you only carry out a visual check...

The clutch adjustments including the clutch shoe weights will affect initial take off,
    and throttle response from slow speeds, your clutch is fully adjustable, for pretty much any situation....

9. Undercover Runner

Undercover Runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP
    Thanks Dave, so if no spacer came with the variator then it's safe to say I can remove the standard one for my original pulley? I mean can it harm if I remove it and test ride?

10. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

you seem to be missing the point of the spacer...

its there to align the variator pulley with the rear pulley, if the pulleys are aligned without a spacer then yes thats fine...if however they are not, and adding the spacer aligns them then the spacer is needed.

so i cant say yes or no really, i cant see the pulleys...where as you can, so really its a case of....you tell me :grin:

heres a diagram on this link showing aligned and misaligned pulleys

http://www.reliabilitydirect.com/alignmentproducts/Images/i_tmeb2dw.jpg

11. Undercover Runner

Undercover Runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP
    Hi Dave, when I replaced my reedblock from standard to malossi I did not screw those metal blockers on it, you know those metal blockers that go over the reed petals? Could that cause a problem?

12. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

i doubt very much the "Reed stops" would cause a problem, most aftermarket reed blocks are designed to work without them anyway...

But...it takes a few minutes to fit them and try your bike around the block, if it was me i would try refitting them, just to satisfy my own curiosity :glare:

Have you actually checked the alignment of your pulleys yet ?

13. Undercover Runner

Undercover Runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP
    Ye, it's fine with the spacer on

14. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

And have you tried a new spark plug yet ??

15. Undercover Runner

Undercover Runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP
    I haven't tried a new plug yet, to be completely honest I've hone and bought 3 br9ix's but I can't get to the plug to change it without having to remove the fuel tank unless there's an easy way to get to it to take it out??

16. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

make sure you gap the plugs before fitting, for some reason iridium plugs come with a huge plug gap, and if you dont gap them your performance will be crap...

17. Undercover Runner

Undercover Runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP
    Any advice on getting to the cylinder head to change the plug though?

18. Stevierunner10

Stevierunner10 New Member

Rides:
    runner Sp50 /Zip Sp
    Ive got a new shape runner there really hard to get to the Plug try and get an open end spanner in there

19. Undercover Runner

Undercover Runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP
    That works for u?

20. Stevierunner10

Stevierunner10 New Member

Rides:
    runner Sp50 /Zip Sp
    i think thats what i used be for but ive not had my plug out in a while. the other way to do it is.. Take your water pipe off the head then you can get a spanner or socket in there.. :) give that ago