125 at 17, options opinions, best for what?

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by Saint Jonny, Sep 28, 2008.

1. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    LOL Jamies bike is in a million pieces???

2. Saint Jonny

Saint Jonny New Member

I was refering to the DT125x, as in the supermoto version...slicks, lower, that one ;) Well to me it's like the difference between a road racer and a mountainbike, yeah the racer will leave the mountainbike for dead, but the mountainbike is much tougher

Ohh and I like the look of the DT, not so much an NSR but that's my preference.

And the DT wouldn't remain stock for long don't worry

3. DYS VTR

DYS VTR New Member

Rides:
    skanky cRaKwhoR3s
    frot u were gonna MHR ur ped?

4. Saint Jonny

Saint Jonny New Member

It would be nice but everyone i ride with is getting 125's so i'm saving for one now. Still might happen though as i'm keeping the ped for college and work :D

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    again, a cast frame against a tubular one? the nsr would still be "tougher" as you put it... if you want one get one, dont try pretend its better than a bike MADE for racing on roads...

6. Saint Jonny

Saint Jonny New Member

I can see what you're saying, i was more refering to the suspension and general ride of a scrambler against a road bike, upright commanding position stick a tucked down racing one, short travel hard shocks stick longer travel plusher units. Haven't Dt's got rep partly due to their long lasting-ness anyway, or so i'm told by a crosser and a former owner :wtf:

7. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    yes a dt is a good bike, but still a HONDA nsr is simply better is many ways, but they are 2 completly different bikes built for different purposes.
    up to you wat you want from your bike really.

my nsr had nearly 22k miles not km on the clock and was still perforrming as it should right before it seized and the seizure was not the bikes fault, it was my own stupidity for letting it get to that stage.

and if you think the suspension is too hard on them then you can simply adjust it to your preference

8. J-Nitro

J-Nitro Active Member

depends on what you need i would love a mint nsr but i know i would start being a dick head on it and try wheely at stupid speeds overtake at maximum speed etc etc

plus i live round fields and fields and fields piss easy to go for a scramble when your feeling a bit frustated lol

engine rebuilds are cheap as cheaps to on a dt you can get a rebore and a new piston for 50 quid

where as a honda nsr you seize it, thats it immediately over £150 falls out of your pocket for a new lining of chrome nikasil and a piston kit (Thats shopping around very good btw ) average price would be £200

plus ive taken apart a teezer 125 lump and i can guarantee you (as it is the same as a dtr ofcourse) its the most easiest engine to rebuild at 125 2t geared level and possibly the cheapest

second hand barrels can be found for them in need of a service for less than £20 delivered on ebay
    and theres tons of bottom ends and engine bits that go for fuck all on the bay every day

i found that nsr bits were much more expensive and much harder 2 get

and for a grand and a you can find a dtr with 8 - 20 k on the clock, nice bodywork nice engine and looked after taxed and moted

try and find a mint NSR RR for the same price....

its all about preference at the end of the day what you need it for, how much you have to spend blah blah blah , but my weapon of choice is a on/off road geared 2t which easily does 80, reliable and turns alot of heads

9. chadz

chadz Member

mx125 ffs

10. J-Nitro

J-Nitro Active Member

if u want it saint jonny heres pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. RY4N172

RY4N172 New Member

how much ?

12. Saint Jonny

Saint Jonny New Member

1100 he said earlier on. Very nice bike mate, i'd have it if i could get hold of the money, best start asking (in my house of course) :p

13. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    I'm guessing that the reason NSR parts are more expensive is because they are better built parts etc? Like a Polini exhaust compared to a technishite exhaust??

14. Kieran

Kieran Active Member

Rides:
    st
    Dont get a cagiva... :w00t:

15. Saint Jonny

Saint Jonny New Member

NSr's are expensive for parts cause, like the Cagiva and RS, it's actually european. And the Dt is probably cheaper too because it's engine has been in production in basically the same form since it was born in '83

16. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    nsr parts are expensive because 1, there are not many of them bikes about at all, and 2,yes they are jap bikes and jap parts are always expensive.

i'v recently bought a second hand barrel wich cost me 93 euros posted from ze germans, wich i'm well happy with as every singe barrel i'v seen goes for at least 120 + postage

17. J-Nitro

J-Nitro Active Member

no nsr parts are more expensive because they are honda, generallly more expensive than yam

and no saint jonny they arnt european they are japs nsrs lol built by honda

and the barrel is niksol plated which costs £££'s (been there, done that seen the fucking grief) to make and repair if it fucks up

plus LIKE I SAID (AND MICK) there are fuck all mint or good nsr engines just LYING around comapred to say um... a DT one of the most nicked bikes in the uk,
    so a shortage in cheap parts leads to an increas in more expensive parts

fuck all to do with a polini exhaust and a tecnishite

and just for record the dt125r engine was made in late 1988 / 1989

the earlier models that it was based on was the mark 1/2/3 . e.g DT125MX DT125 DT125LC, these are completely different engines to the R/RE/X ones

dont get the impression i dont like the nsr, its my favourite sports bike at 125 i was just explaing to u guys why i bought a dt, i.e cost wise etc, as i do more 120 miles a week travelling plus another 100 maybe going out and at some point if i own the dt for longer i am bound to fall off due to my mistake or being silly, and i wouldnt really like to fork out over 600 worth on farings alone with an nsr, i can be alot more rough with the dt, rag it a bit more without worrying about a possible expensive accident

plus ive rebuilt a tzr engine from bottom to top so if the dtr did go bang i know the routine and how it will look like when i take it apart, hence the reson why i bought it, they are simple plain easy engines to build.

i wouldnt afford to rebuild ot repair an nsr the same way if i damaged a dt

18. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
  19. Saint Jonny

Saint Jonny New Member

LOL J-Nitro, I know Honda are Japanese but so is Yamaha, and an Aerox does not come from Japan, as does an NSR, built in Italy ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NSR125

And I know that some of the parts are made in Japan, but if i got french ingredients and made the cake in England, where would it come from? Exactly hehe BTW i only knew that through used bike guide, wikipedia just tells more detail.

20. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit