£1600 engine shopping list

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by ROSSRS, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    if youve got 1600 to spend id say get a pm59 and get it strengthened by a local metal works

2. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    yeah, i think i'm going with the Jolly for my SR, i have looked at the other pipes they do for 2 strokes and none seem to give a bad reputation.

3. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    kundo ftw :bird:

4. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    erm..... nope

kundo are pretty good for a stock 125 or a mildly tuned one but in serious power realms the kundo is good for one thing, looks.

5. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    everyone knows the shinier ones go faster....

6. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    true, my microns on my RD produce 20% more power after a polish....

:pimp:

7. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

think i'm right in saying conversley shiny carbs go slower. really not fussed about looks. think it's more to do with principals with that pm, if i'm giving them £250 i expect it to be designed properly, not need me pissing about re-making it properly. suppose they get away with piss poor build quality by making it track only. not the same regulations i guess. jolly moto seem to have built up an almost legendary status amongst the two stroke fraternity, almost like an akrapovic for two strokes. just about to have a look see if the rs reed blocks are fittable on the runner

8. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    shiny carbs go slower due to the same principle as water on a windscreen on a car, the glass is so perfectly smooth that the water sticks to it, so when wipers are used it makes water smear accross but still sticks to the glass

9. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

assumed it was to do with the layer of still air over a smooth object as air moves over it. rough surfaces produce tiny vortices allowing the layer of air near the surface that would be still to effectively tumble along the surface. air would travel more smoothly into a polished carb, but more air would go into a carb with a cast inlet. i believe. going off of a level physics so wouldnt quote me on that :confused:arc:

10. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    probably a mixture of both, air being held up by it, and fuel being held up by it=shoddy performance, same reason a lot of people dont polish the inlet on a 4stroke

11. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

might try it, get 2 carbs and see if i can feel any difference at all. somehow doubt it, prob not even enough of a difference to warrant a jetting change. got hold of a 39 mm mag bodied carb off of an aprilia rsw125 for a 250 kart, that was just a very fine casting, no smoothing done to it at all

12. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    smooth surfaces do the oposit to atomisation in the carb, alsop in the inlet/crankcase. this baxsicly means the fuel turns from partical/mist form back into droplets. the air goes quicker basicly because the tiny little holes in a rough surface cause little pockets of trapped air, air obviously travels through other air friction free thus going faster. smooth surfaces cause rotation/redirection of air thus making turbulance. the main reason is the gfuel beading tho

13. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

i'm guessing the faster flow of air gives better atomisation to begin with though yeh?

14. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    yes, as the faster air hits the atomizer the more broken up the fuel becomes (hence big carbs on little engines are good at full throttle but not so good at half and under)

15. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

carb splitter cure that?

16. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    see the brass plate in a 17.5mm carb on a 50. that cures it. but fine jetting and good roller setup will cure it to a degree, tuned things dont like low throttle positions ether way and how often do you actually sit at half throttle on a 70?

17. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

erm, never :D i guess. not seen the brass plate, what's that?

18. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    brass plate covers the venturi mostly and diverts drawn air through the idle curcit more than the venturi itself at idle/part throttle, as the vacume increases it sucks prittymuch as it would without the plate (mabey one jet difference) and runs freely off the main jet curcit

19. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

not bad. think i'll just stick to flat out everywhere. makes jetting easier =)