£1600 engine shopping list

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by ROSSRS, Jun 17, 2007.

1. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

1x BGM Evolution body part kit Runner Black Metallic
    1x Clutch (Malossi) -DELTA- Piaggio - Gilera 125-180cc 2 stroke
    1x Clutchbell -POLINI SPEEDBELL- Piaggio - Gilera 125-180cc 2 strok
    1x Break lever kit -BLUE- Gilera Runner Double Disc
    1x Indicator lenses + taillight lens BLACK Runner
    1x Gearbox (Malossi) secondary Gilera Runner 125, Piaggio Skipper LX, Hex
    1x Variator kit (Malossi) Piaggio - Gilera 125-180cc 2T
    1x Crankshaft bgm EVOLUTION EVO 55 Piaggio-Gilera 125-180
    1x Bearing set bgm ORIGINAL incl. oil seals Piaggio - Gilera 125-18
    1x Exhaust -JOLLY MOTO- for 172cc Malossi LC Kit (Gilera Runner 125
    1x Carb - kit Malossi 25mm DelOrto für Piaggio SKR, Gilera Runner 1
    1x Manifold (Malossi) Piaggio (for PHBL 25mm-)
    1x Cyl.-head -bgm- Evolution Race for 172 -180ccm
    1x Shock absorber (Bitubo) Gilera Runner 50 rear
    1x Kickstart lever -FLAME- black/blue, Piaggio

above comes to £1260, already have the 172 kit and a wider belt. also want porting. no idea about roller weights but anyone got anything i should add to this list? looking for 30bhp

2. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    to be honest the long stroke crank isnt a big power adder as far as they go. but it does give some increase as well as being stronger than the stock and gives better bottom-end compression.

3. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

just figured i'd go for the long stroke because i need a new crank, so thought the long stroke would be the one to go for for overall power reasons :D and they're only like 160 pounds so might as well

4. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    yeah, thats the reason i'm going for it. erm, porting will be a must to acheive the 30bhp and the barrel may need re-nicosiling after the port work is done which isnt too cheap.

5. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

thats if i get them chamfered yeh? one of my closest mates races 250 natinal karts, always getting his barrels re-plated. will ask him who does his, always machining and drawing up bits for him so should be reasonably cheap.

6. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    it can be done without damaging the nicasil but no one will guarantee their work to that extent, one slight slip with the dremmel and its a re-plating excercise, its like hreading a needle without touching the sides.

7. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

think i'd get it replated, common sense really. dont suppose ceramic plating the piston is worth doing on these is it? melted a hole in rs125 piston playing with ignition timing, ceramic plating stopped it =)

8. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    never heard of it being done, the ignition timing on the runner motor is fixed as standard, the only way to burn a hole in the piston is lean the mixture off.

oh and your shock is listed as runner 50, is that right?

9. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

not much chance of me running it that lean, karting friend made me obsessive over constant plug chops and jetting, had a table of humidity/temp and jets for the rs125 at one point. makes so much difference so will do the same with the runner. worth the hassle. and once got a table and a spare carb and jets its only a couple of minutes eh.
    only thing i'm having trouble finding is a decent reed block, any recomendations?

10. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    not too sure about the reedblock, i would suggest you adapt one from a different bike, largest you can get in there.

and finally, someone who understands jetting.

EDIT, minor is the man to talk to about reedblocks.

11. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

pretty certain tassinari do v forc 3's for the little 85 crossers, they must be reasonably small, will join some other forum and pester them to measure them up for me. 125 crossers run 38 mm carbs so no chance of getting one of them blocks in there, look twice as long.
    ha nobody on here bother re-jetting much? so important on 2 strokes

12. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    well, they do, just dont understand why.

i was going to check if an RD reedblock will fit the motor without too much messing about as i have a couple lying around.

13. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

i'll have a look at the rs ones tomorow as well. reeds are way too small on the runner. never seen the point of carbon reeds on road bikes so not too fussed about that, hardly going to get flutter at 10k rpm. dont know one person that ever bothered with aftermarket reeds on the 250's and they go on to 12-13k

14. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    yeah, i had CF reeds on my derbi 50 and it made the bottom end power loads smoother but after 5000 rpm it was the same, and since the power isnt until 6000 ish, there was no real point.

15. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

boost bottles spring to mind, same sort of thing, not actually sure if they've been proved to make any difference whatsoever, which is why i'm guessing there seem to be a vast array of them aimed at scooterists, guessing they presume we dont know what we're doing. seen a lot of them on rd's though, introduced around the same time though yeh?

16. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    boost bottles are a load of bo**ocks to be quite honest, its a way for amlossi to make money.

they do actually make a difference on bigger cc geared 2 strokes but not worth it on a scooter unless you just want to look cool.

17. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

heard the difference they make is literally just borderline enough to legally claim a power boost haha. talking about tenths of a hp. can only imagine them working on bikes with a restrictive airbox, but then i usually run my 2 strokes without them. i tend to look at race bikes for things like that, the 500's never ran them on their carbs so i wont :D

18. gazell

gazell Active Member

i'd probably replace the jolly moto pipe with the pm59 mate

19. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    yeah, possible i suppose, personally i run an airbox to give the backpressure needed, however on the SR i may have to either build my own or just bite the bullet and use an open filter (more likely).

my preference would be the Jolly as the PM have known reliability issues, however, the PM does produce the power at the right time, the jolly is somwhat unexplored in comparison.

20. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

thought i'd go for jolly moto just because they seem to generally be some of the best pipes for two strokes, dont think i could buy a 59 simply because of the build quality woes, seem appaling