u33db's Aerox 100

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by u33db, Jan 13, 2011.

1. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Hi,

This is my Aerox 100cc "toy";

[​IMG]

I bought this locally about 4 months to pop up and down to tescos with and generally muck about on...its a 2001 model with only 6k on the clock.

A few weeks after getting it i decided to stick a cheap 115cc big bore on it. Unfortunately the casting on the taiwan cylinder turned out to be a bit dodgy so unknown to me it was leaking oil on the test ride and pretty much seized shortly after.

When i got home I checked the cylinder bore and it seemed fine but it it'd only start on full throttle so i came to the conclusion the crank bearings were fried so put it away in the garage until i could be arsed to look it.

In the last few weeks i've decided to "fix it" so i've sourced a replacement engine of a Benelli K2 and some goodies and am now building it up on my bench. New engine spec is;

- Malossi 120cc cylinder
    - Malossi 24mm carb (standard is 16mm)
    - Malossi intake manifold
    - Malossi MHR reed block
    - Malossi torsion controller
    - Malossi kevlar drive belt
    - New clutch
    - 5g rollers
    - Green clutch springs (20% stronger)
    - Technigas RS handmade expansion chamber exhaust
    - All bolts replaced with stainless items
    - New engine cross memeber and bearings
    - Powercoated stand
    - Anodized red oil cap

Now I'm aware of the general opinions that the 100cc engine is crap compared to a 70cc lump but i've bought everything now...hopefully with all these parts i'll still get a good increase in power...IIRC theres a lad on one of the OZ scooter forums with a similar spec and his will hit 80mph or so.

Here are some pictures so far;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yesterday i got a replacment generator through the post (the benelli one was rusted to hell) so spent last night resoldering the correct connectors on (new one was an Neos item with bullet connector instead of a plug). This weekend I'm hoping to get the engine mounted on the frame and start it up so finger's crossed it all works!

Updates to follow!

P.S here my old "toy";

[​IMG]

Now with gold wheels, new radiator, ignition advancer, froks rebuilt etc!

[​IMG]

2. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    Very nice mate, always been a fan of the 100cc aerox & speedfights. Yeh the 50cc engine can be tuned to go faster with a midrace 70kit and so on, but your 120 will be more reliable and better for long distance rides.

3. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Update;

Done a bit more today - cleaned the engine case with a scouring pad to get rid of a lot of the corrosion. Also fitted carb to the engine, torqued head down, fitted exhaust, wheel etc etc.

Still waiting on some stainless bolts to arrive (i'm repalcing the ones that hold the 2 case together while i'm working in that area) - once i have them the oil pump/genny and fan can go back on then it can be bolted to the bike!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:grin:

4. co77l3y

co77l3y Member

Rides:
    Gilera DNA 50
    it looks good, keep up the good work and keep us updated. Well done too :)

5. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Thanks mate!

I'm hoping my bolts arrive on Monday/Tuesday then i can crack on with fitting...all i've got left to do at the moment is modify the airbox as per the Malossi instructions lol

Actually tell a lie...i got a carbon headlight through the post so may fit that tomorrow...

:)

6. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Update:

I got the engine bolted to the bike on Wednesday night after work and connected everything up this morning. Kick start was really stiff and since my battery is duff i poured some petrol into the bore to help things out and...

...it started! Sounds really powerfull as well which is great news!

Heres a pic just after i got the oil pump bled and before light started to fade;
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow i'll reassemble the seat and body then test it on the road..hopefully the carb won't require much tuning so i can have a good blast about on it. I also got a used front wheel through the post today so i'm going to remove the bearings and get that and the spare rear wheel down to the powdercoaters...most likely to be done in gold like my big bike.

BTW I may need to buy some earplugs as the technigas is so frickin loud! I've just been told the pictures were vibrating on the wall in the room next to the garage while i was revving it! lol

:yahoo:

I'm uploading some video clips of it running to youtube atm so will post them up later...

7. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
  8. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Just had it out for a run but i think the rollers are too heavy.

I'm running 3 x 7.5g and 3 x 9g (standard ones)...the bike is nippy enough but i'm still getting a mild jolt at the top end and more power comes in.

The technigas instructions say to fit 6 x 5g but thats based on an standard otherwise standard 100c.

Can anyone comment if that'd be (roughly) correct on my engine spec as well?

In the emantime i've ordered 6 x 5g and 6 x 6g as lighter roller (whatever the correct weight) seem to be needed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

9. Gilly Boi Mike 70

Gilly Boi Mike 70 New Member

10. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Been running for a couple of months now with a few more goodies added.

- Malossi yellow contra spring.
    - 5g rollers.
    - Rejetted 22mm carb to a 94 main jet.
    - Swapped out the 20% cluth springs for 50% and now 100% stiffer ones as of tonight.

Its better...clutch bites at 4.5k and fully locks up at about 6k now. Exhaust power band is apparently 7k+ so i've ordered some 4.5g rollers to see if i can match that better.

Will hopefully get them thursday then we'll see... :grin:

11. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Rollers were out of stock so i ordered some 4.2s instead and fitted them today.

OMG this accelerates damn quick now!!

I think they might be a little too light though as i'm crusing @ 30 @ 6k and acclerating the revs jump right to 9.5k which is into the red on the rev counter.

Dunno what these cranks are good for rev wise??

I might order some 4.7 or 4.5's and see if i can reduce the rpm a little...i'm a bit bothered that the crank may go, especially as my balls are about 50cm above it!

Certainly better than the 5g that technicgas stated but i guess that's fo a different spec.

12. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
  13. xplicit vehicle

xplicit vehicle Member

Rides:
    PGO Big Max 50
    why did u do all that work just to sell it?

14. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Needed the space in the garage and there wasn't much more to do to it. Plus i was driving to work so could only use it at weekends.

I recently got a new job which means i can no longer drive but needed a new scooter to get down to the railway station hence the BW (^^) i've bought back.

I kept all the aftermarket bits of the 100cc though and have a spare engine so you never know...it might end up on the BW...