Speedfight 2 50 project

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by croozenooze, Feb 23, 2014.

1. croozenooze

croozenooze Active Member

Going to start a thread on this bike's strip & rebuild. It might take a while, but I'm hoping that it might show it's progress (unless I get fed up lol)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a bit of cleaning, she looks like this.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to ride it to work in the morning to see if there are any issues, then probably take her off the road & start to strip her down.

2. croozenooze

Well, the other half was at work early this morning, so thought I'd make a start on the stripdown. Have all of the body panels off now, I'm loving the way that the previous owner used wood screws to hold cracked, or broken panels on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the use of Zippy Ties & a shoelace to hold the rear light on :)
    [​IMG]

And proper cable connectors ;)
    [​IMG]

Seeing as half of the screws were missing, it came apart quite easily. I think that Peugeot had a bit of a mental block with the mudguard & bottom binacle. Having to remove the front wheel & bars to remove plastic seems a bit stupid.
    [​IMG]

3. croozenooze

So, we are at this stage, so more later. Will get into the shed after work.
    [​IMG]

lee mason likes this.
  4. croozenooze

Just won this on Ebay for £75. Looks like I'd better pull my finger out
    [​IMG]

Subw00fer, scubabiker and lee mason like this.
  5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Cool project

6. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    What is it with the wood screws, cable ties and dodgy electrical connectors? First thing I sorted on my son's ped. I'll be watching this one :)

croozenooze and Subw00fer like this.
  7. croozenooze

So, had some time in the shed today & have removed the engine. I need to find space on my bench now to take it apart & see what we have. 1st off i removed the helmet box, then the fuel tank with the aid of a 10mm socket.. Then I took the pipes off the carb that feeds the oil through. The fun part was that the 2 stroke oil tank wasn't even bolted to the frame, so just fell onto the back wheel :)
    [​IMG]

Next was the exhaust & water pipes. I think that the exhaust may be past it's best & not being refitted..... Too much rust, I'll see what I can do.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed all of the wiring, including the 2 on the starter motor & engine. & the battery & released the engine mounting bolt, then realised that the rear shock & rear brake were still attached :oops:, so took the rear wheel off, then the rear caliper & top shock mount.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like I'll be using some serious elbow grease to get that clean! :)
    [​IMG]

Well, it's off & what a mess it is, but, that's what projects are all about :)
    [​IMG]

I think that the rear shock may be past it too, what a shame because it looks the business.
    [​IMG]

That's it up to now. No doubt I'll be out there again soon to see what damage is inside. I've only just realised that the kickstart is missing, so there could be an issue with the shaft.

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

let me know if you need some advice on this, I did a crank on a speedshite not so long ago so its quite fresh in my head

croozenooze likes this.
  9. croozenooze

A little bad news, but lots of happy stuff :) Been stripping the engine this evening to see what nasty surprises were beneath the covers. Surprisingly few as it happens.
    Started off by cleaning a lot of the gunge away from the engine.
    [​IMG]

I took the clutch cover off (Held on by 2 screws :confused: instead of 6). it looks as if the LC50 doesn't have a kickstart, so will have to find a rubber bung for the hole on the clutch case.
    [​IMG]

This is where I found the problems (Only little ones though). The bearing is missing out of the crankcase for the starter motor.
    [​IMG]

But slightly more worrying are the next parts. I took the Variator off & there is a piece missing
    [​IMG]

& it looks like the crankshaft oil seal has gone too.
    [​IMG]

Clutch was a bitch to get off, but got it eventually. This is where my face started to light up. Looks as though performance parts are already fitted, so saved me a fortune :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll probably fit slightly heavier rollers though.
    [​IMG]

Time to remove the carburettor. Hey presto! More goodies :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, took the water pump off to check the other crankshaft oil seal & it looks fine. I've painted the engine casing & left it at that for the time being until I get my other goodies :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The crank bearing are a common thing to go wrong on these

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Also thats an aftermarket sidecase, the standard ones have a kickstart

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

One off an AC will fit on

13. croozenooze

Cheers Scuba, it's my fault, I should've read the manual. I didn't realise that the kickstart only fits onto the clutch cover. I'll get that sorted :)

14. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Crooz
    turps is the most amazing crud remover. Douse that thing in turps & hit it with a paint brush. Then do it again and hit it with a compressed air hose. You will be amazed.
    I put turps in an empty washing up bottle. It helps.

scubabiker likes this.
  15. croozenooze

Have used wd40 & a brush, but thanks for the tip, i'll try it next time

16. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    expensive stuffWD40. Turps on the other hand is cheap !

croozenooze likes this.
  17. croozenooze

Been in the man cave this morning before work as a few bits have arrived.
    [​IMG]

Replaced the crankshaft oil seal. Nice simple job, heave it out gently with a screwdriver & replace gently with a blunt instrument & small hammer.
    [​IMG]

Looking at modifying the Kobo clocks seeing as the original faces were smashed. The original Peugeot cover doesn't fit, so will see how I can get around it.
    [​IMG]

right, off to work. Hoping more parts arrive today so i can crack on tonight.

lee mason likes this.
  18. croozenooze

My Malossi kit has arrived along with my front forks. Happydays [​IMG]

scubabiker likes this.
  19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

can you fit the original glass to the koso face? or maybe get some lexan shield stuff

20. croozenooze

I didn't have much time this morning, so will spend a bit more time looking at it tonight.