Project NRG MC3

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Acid, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Acid

Acid Member

Rides:
    NRG 50, MBK Stunt 50
    Hi all round two

Base bike is a Piaggio Nrg MC3 a/c 2002

A mate give me it for free as he never used it so had it boxed up and lying at the back of his garage, it hadn't started or run in 4 years.

Gf allowed me to start building it in the hallway of her appartment the night i got it. It was very tatty and unloved most of the bolts are seized and rounded off, missing fastners, screws and cracked scratched panels so loads of replacments are needed.

The aim of this project is to get a solid relible runabout. That looks like new and Runs well.

Some photos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Acid

Acid Member

Rides:
    NRG 50, MBK Stunt 50
  3. Acid

Acid Member

Rides:
    NRG 50, MBK Stunt 50
    So many hours later and loads of coffee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fresh fuel, 2 stroke and a new battery and it fired and run like crap so mot was booked and it passed.

So now we are up to speed

The brakes were shit so i rebuild the caliper and new pads, fresh fluid and huge difference the bike stops.

The front forks are seized, I,m hoping running on the road will free them up some then i will strip the front end and attempt to rebuild them

The bike drinks Fuel 40 ish miles to a tank so after hunting around it turns out i have a hole in my carb

I ordered a 19mm dellorto as i plan to fit a 70cc kit (which arrived today)
    [​IMG]

I have a Stage 6 street exhaust so that is going to get blasted and powercoated (high temp paint).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So thats were I am now

4. DanielG8873

DanielG8873 New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia RS 50
    Jeez what a wreck to start with, but you've done a good job cleaning it up so far!
    The forks would probably do with a good ride with plenty of fluid to lubricate it, don't want to damage them even more.

Are you thinking of respraying it?

And thats surprising it passed mot first time! good little find i think!

5. bandyleg

bandyleg New Member

Rides:
    Anything That Moves
    Getting there mate keep us informed!

6. Acid

Acid Member

Rides:
    NRG 50, MBK Stunt 50
    I plan to sand down the panels and respray but i want it running right first.

I worked in a bike shop so the Mot center guys know me pretty well, headlights are shocking tho (used a car in the mot bay next to it to pass that test). Checked with the dealer and they are as good as an NRG gets !!!!

As for the forks i plan to rebuild over this weekend so that should be fun !!!

cheers bandyleg its cost me £40 now in bits so far now :good:

7. bandyleg

bandyleg New Member

Rides:
    Anything That Moves
    Thats alright mate i must be up to around a £900 on mine now and still going!!
    Ive got a set of forks that might fit if might be interested i will found out for defo if your interested?

8. northrider

northrider Member

the bike has no fan or bore cover dont forget to get them as on a aircooled bike this is how the bore is kept cool dunno if you already know this

9. Acid

Acid Member

Rides:
    NRG 50, MBK Stunt 50
    if you look at tbe later photos you will see thst the barrel cover and fan cover have been fitted.

i think my max will be 400, my supermoto demands my income !

10. Acid

Acid Member

Rides:
    NRG 50, MBK Stunt 50
    The lights on my moped are shocking bad so i decided to up grade them
    50w of 6000k hid light should make things better and me seen at night :-D

plan to fit them this week end so will take before and after light casts so you can all see the difference

[​IMG]

11. scott15

scott15 Member

Rides:
    Want an NRG MC3
    how much did the hid kit set you back?

12. Acid

Acid Member

Rides:
    NRG 50, MBK Stunt 50
    £90 i got a full kit for the supermoto, so i had spare and i decided to put it to use !!

:good:

13. Acid

Acid Member

Rides:
    NRG 50, MBK Stunt 50
    I still haven't got around to fitting the HID kit as i think the stock light reflector will melt under the power of a 50w hid setup and the wiring isn't up to scratch

I also decided that the stock horn doesn't show my anger when people don't see/look and cut me up so i decided to upgrade the horn also, so i,m seen and heard now.
    Cue the Stebil Natulis (loud fecker). The wiring on the NRG's loom isn't made for the kind of power that this needs to really belch so I will be attacking this also.
    [​IMG]

I have done some more tidying up of the bike tho and ordered £30 worth of clips bolts and self tapping screws (no more rounded heads). I removed the exhaust and sanded it down and coated it with some hight temp exhaust spray paint so it looks like new once again. I think i will get a bit of alloy strip to replace the missing trim on the exhaust.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After

I have to tap and thread my new carb (19mm dellorte) so i have an oil feed into it and also rig up a vac so i can use the existing fuel tap assembly.
    [​IMG]

I think the next big job will be to strip and rebuild the front forks.

Photos uploading :)

14. Acid

Acid Member

Rides:
    NRG 50, MBK Stunt 50
    O.k quite update I've done nothing since i last posted

Some Scum attempted to nick it the other day and street justice was issued !!!

The moped fell over and I've a cracked nose were they pulled the nose off.

15. mattwesley

mattwesley New Member

Rides:
    mc3 ac / rs125 race
    where did you got the light kit from and how much ??

16. Gamble

Gamble Member

Good on you mate! Looks like a nice little project and I think it'll come out great, would love some pics of the HID conversion once it's in. :)

17. Acid

Acid Member

Rides:
    NRG 50, MBK Stunt 50
    update time I guess

I finally got the finger out and welded the steering lock back on so it now starts on the key.
    Kick starter has been removed again (stops scrotes wanting to knick it).

Fitted an Ebay special alarm (even has a remote start feature).

19mm carb has been fitted and jetted to suit the stage 6 street exhaust and stock 50cc barrell.

I didnt think the 19mm carb would make such a felt difference.

The Nrg feels alive !!

still not got around to fitting the Hid kit as the current draw is pretty high. I'm still working on it tho.

Looking at big bore kits for it now I want a nice bump in power but it still has to be a daily runner.

time to start searching the threads !!!

(pictures uploading)

18. Acid

Acid Member

Rides:
    NRG 50, MBK Stunt 50
    new battery fitted :good:

not to start work on beefing up the wiring loom so i can run HIds and my stebil horn at full pelt !!!

19. Acid

Acid Member

Rides:
    NRG 50, MBK Stunt 50
    why why why do people keep trying to steal my moped

they broke the steering lock (which i just got a new barrel welded on) alarm went nuts, they started to pull nose off to get at the ignition so they could start it (alarm is still going crazy)started the bike and attemped to drive off only for the disk lock to lock fron wheel solid. they then abandoned it on its side still running.

Its all on cctv and best part is feck all is going to be done by it as they are under age !!!!

ARHG !!!!!

Quite PISSED

so now i have one tatty moped with broken panels and butchered wiring.

All my effort to make this bike special is dead.

Its now sulking in the kitchen awaiting tool and money to make it better.

20. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Fit a kill switch. then they wont be able to start it ? And fit a wall lock so they can't move it ?