Project Neos 50 tidy up!

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by lipsmoker, Jul 9, 2010.

1. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

So This is my first project

Bike: Yamaha neos 2001
    Color: Red + silver
    cc: 50

I got it as my first Ped (being 16)
    I had it on the road for 2 weeks when i binned it Round a corner at 35 :blush: there was heavy scratches on the right hand side, i could cope with them, a week after i was doing 45 up rivinton and the spark plug exploded out the head, turns out its had a TERRIBLE helicoil job, its been stood for 2 weeks so ive decided to put my mind to it and get it back on the road.

Pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I Tidied the battery cables up and relocated the wires through the bottom of the case, Pics tomorrow here is the clean up list so far

Maintainence
    New battery (for electric start)
    New Stand (hanging low)
    New head
    New head gasket
    New Plug

Visual
    VHT Black Paint for rusty exhaust pipe
    Primer + paint for forks

Now for a color scheme im really not sure as its hard to make a neos look good any ideas?, yes respraying the whole thing.

This will be a slow Project as funds aren't great as i just got accepted into mechanics course in Preston and awaiting start in September.

Thanks for reading =D
    -Josh :cool:

2. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Tips Would be great, going to share my battery wire relocation trick tomorrow as i think its pretty nifty and tidies it up alot!

tips on renthal bars? i really want some but were do my switches go and how hard to install/price

cheers

3. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Cable tidy trick
    Time - 5 minutes
    Tools - Battery powered drill + spade bit

Drill a hole using a spade bit and a drill at the top of the battery compartment
    like this

[​IMG]

Feed your cables through and connect to battery
    it should look something like this

[​IMG]

alot tidier than the manufacturer finish and keeps everything in place imo
    Some might think this is a stupid idea...
    :blink:

cheers

4. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

The fall.

Damage
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too bad needs a respray though
    comments anyone??

5. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

I hate being a school leaver, money is too tight

But ive managed to allocate £60 for some well needed parts
    To get it running i need a head and gasket,

all the scooter sites are cheap but like £10-15 postage? so total is coming to about £30-40....

Im gonna pop down to bike breakers where they sell lots of neos's every week and see if i can get a head for £20, i meen whats the deal on buying a used head, ive purchased from them before and have never ripped me off/done me over.

So this is what im trying to get with £60

head + gasket (£25 from breakers, hoping lol)
    new stand (£20 from breakers ,sealed deal)
    battery (£15 , ebay?)

Do you guys think its possible?

6. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Fixed! had 2 miles to run in about 15 mins to pick up a head but flagged down a taxi driver, lol £20 works perfect very lucky though, he gave me a free plug, it was a long threaded one if i would have kicked it over, bang would have gone my piston, put short threaded plug in and after a few kicks it started, bit unstable at first revving up and down but after it burnt the stale fuel in the carb (i think) very rich, tuned carb and starts first time now, every time anytime, also its stopped stalling on idle, i think compression was being lost through the crappy helicoil job or the battery isnt holding enough charge so i have to compensate with extra rpm, clever me :wave: jokes, next is a new battery and stand and exhaust paint, holding off for the main paint job for a month incase i drop the bike again :cray:

someone comment please! :confused:

7. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Ironing out little faults with daves help in the workshop section, progress will be updated when necessary.

8. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Update

Should have new head torque tested sometime next week, ive loosened it off but i can hear some unwanted noises, Going to check it out when the rain stops, good news Just got a massive gazebo! thats going up in a few days, im fed up of working around the rain, especially when theres 40 days predicted of it,

Im not aiming for a pro scoot, my aim is to get it running sweet for college and i enroll in 3 weeks but wont start till 4 weeks after that so my deadlines almost 2 months

Cheers

9. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

So turns out theres a torque spanner somewhere in my garage! just got to find it :thumbsup:

So my ex mechanic step dad is going to help me distinguish were this "chattering" sound is coming from tomorrow If all goes well insurance should be here tomorrow (friday) so i can test her out proper (ive road before) i just use pay as you go monthly insurance because cant afford the full front of £390.

hopefully it will let me ride it the full month and not break in the first week when im skint and no chance of a insurance refund :(

A few more problems have developed during fully investigating the bike

Fixed
    Cylinder Head
    Head Gasket
    Battery Charge

To be done
    1.Compression Test
    2.Fix front + rear lights
    3.Fine tune carb
    4.New Stand
    5.paint exhaust
    6.Torque the head

Going to attempt 3 and 6 tomorrow Depending how long it takes me to assemble this Gazebo!
    :yahoo:

10. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Carb fine tuned , Gazebo built :) 3 x 6meters work can continue regardless of the weather :yahoo:

11. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Bit of track took it for a run today she works better than she ever has full compression :cheers:

Got side tracked bike is now in bits i couldn't resist since im now weatherproof
    Painted wheels Ice White looks sweet

Repainting brake handles tomorrow Because there chipped
    Front mudgard black tomorrow and forks too

Underbely black or white day after
    :)

Pics maybe tonight or tomorrow

12. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Naked bike and new wheel colour shots!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Glory shot
    [​IMG]

13. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

forks preped and sprayed black drying until tomorrow so cannot put front wheel on for obvious reason. might put rear wheel on soon and take pic :)

14. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Couldnt get those damn exhaust bolts off, oh well got the wheel through the gap No problemo the white is really bright

Sorry dark pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To do!

Fit front wheel (waiting for forks)
    Finish up forks (drying)
    paint front mudgard black (maybe)

all should be done for tomorrow if ive finished with the forks so pics + new video will be up of her zooming down the road :)

50cc forever!
    This isnt the end of the project just how i want it for now

New stand and batter is on the list too

Thanks

15. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Delays :confused:cratch:

Paint was still tacky so didnt assemble front :(
    Pics tomorrow ;)

16. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Here we go, all electrics fixed turned out to be crap wiring so its all been replaced :grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow another can of black from halfrauds ( pun intended ) Spraying bellypan and front mudguard black in 3 weeks im away for 2 weeks at work but come back with quite a spare chunk :yahoo:

Thinking

New Exhaust
    Sticker Set
    mirror Change
    Side numberplate mounts

Not sure yet

comments!!!????
    :confused:hock:

17. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Front wheel still has paint on it xD get some acidtone on that tomorrow

18. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Off to Get some Vht black paint for the exhaust back with progress later on tonight + Pics :)

19. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Exhaust Painted!, stand painted! kickstart painted! starting to look really tidy now

Old Pipe Condition
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Horrible

New!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :grin:

20. lipsmoker

lipsmoker Member

Pics dont give it justice vht came out Dark grey forks were given another final coat today they look great Next mod is Probably going to underbelly black and front mudguard