Piaggio zip Power issue

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by CoNoRS, Aug 23, 2010.

1. CoNoRS

CoNoRS New Member

hello there, i wondering if i can pick your brains on my piaggio zip i have fitted a sports exhaust new 9 variator and i have a clutch but haven't put in yet but at the moment it only works when its cold when it warms up it seems to get bogged down a lose power and feels like its miss firing and doesn't work pro pally on full throttle hope you can help me :)

2. GUNS

GUNS the usual suspect

Rides:
    racing SP70 & LX172
    which exhaust? sounds like it needs up-jetting.

have you changed the standard air box at all / sports filter????

3. CoNoRS

CoNoRS New Member

i have LEO VINCE TT SPORTS EXHAUST ok then do you no what size jets i will need and how to do it and no i haven't touched any of that

4. GUNS

GUNS the usual suspect

Rides:
    racing SP70 & LX172
    I have data for three two stroke zips.

ZIP 50 MAIN JET 70
    ZIP 50 CAT MAIN JET 56
    ZIP 50 SP MAIN JET 75

the main jet is the large jet that is in the float chamber of the carb, it has a number on it......... for example 70, you then buy a jetting kit that starts as close to 70 as possible, going upwards, the kit normally has 10 jets, so they will be something like 70, 72, 74, 76 and so forth................... guess if it was me with that exhaust and your default jet was 70, I would try 76, put a new spark plug in and give it a run, take out the plug and observe the colour, if it is too high, or too rich the plug will be starting to look sooty/black, then if it was, I would try the 74............... and keep going down in nunber until the plug had a light brown tan colour on the electrode.

Get the right Jets for the carb/bike you have, as there is many different types and thread sizes.

Someone on here might have a simular set-up to yours, and suggest a starting point.

5. CoNoRS

CoNoRS New Member

Thank you that is much appreciated :D

6. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    The 9 roller variator wont help on your setup. Far better off with a 6 roller variator.

When fitting a sports pipe you need to go lighter on the roller weights, slightly stiffer on the clutch springs & 5% bigger on the mainjet.

The standard jet in a Zip cat 50 (1999-current model), with Dellorto PHVA 17.5mm carb is 53. Most will run a 56 after de-restriction. You want to upjet to around 58-62 for your exhaust.

The standard roller weights are around 7grams, for your pipe you want around 5-6grams.

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    5g dead, problem right there. no mods to the intake with a 62 as bertie said. will work. add roller weight by 0.2 at a time untill the revs drop below where the power is (you will see what i mean)