Piaggio Typhoon XR 125 Project

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by frankie0694, Aug 2, 2011.

1. frankie0694

frankie0694 New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 50
    So... I've been riding a Piaggio NRG 50 for about a year and a half, and since I turned 17, I've waiting for a Typhoon to come along (they seem to be dropping off the face of the Earth! :confused: ) and my amazing Dad found me one, and bought it. :yahoo:

It's a bit of a doer-upper and so the work has begun. First, the panels were taken off and all stickers removed. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the scooter before we stripped it, but I have a picture of one of the panels after the removal of stickers.

I'd decided that as I was keeping this scooter for a while, I would really go to town, and get it re-sprayed and totally re-vamped. I've taken all the panels to the spray shop (The Scooter Paint Shop) and I chose the colour (not telling you what colour though - you'll have to wait until it's finished! :grin: )

The underneath of the scooter, and everything else, is in really good condition, especially when taking into consideration the age - I think it was first registered in 1999? The people/ person who had it before me really took care of it. There's hardly any rust, or any type of corrosion - just thick grease and dirt, which is to be expected.

I've washed it down using some powerful cleaning stuff (thanks Mum!) and it looks pretty decent, even without the panels!

A few things need to be replaced, such as the rear shock, and maybe the front forks, and also the wheels - changing from the 10 inch to the 13 inch so not only will it look better, but it will also handle better, which is all good!

So there's a quick overview of the situation, I will try and put some pictures on later, as it's telling me at the moment that they're too big! :rules: :confused:

Thanks for checking this out!

:wave:

2. GDotz172

GDotz172 Member

Rides:
    A pedal bike
    your right about that mate there really becoming rare loads of conversions around
    but not many original 125s left about these days.

You thinking about tuning her??

really needs some pics lol easy way to make the pics fit open the picture with paint click resize then change the pixels to right size it may not be the right way but it works for me lol

3. frankie0694

frankie0694 New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 50
    So here's some photo's so far ... I'll post more when I can, but this is where we've got to as yet. :good:

Attached Files:

4. GDotz172

GDotz172 Member

Rides:
    A pedal bike
    Lol put some clothes on her :blush:
    Only kidding looks a real clean bike
    How did you get the pics up in the end??

5. frankie0694

frankie0694 New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 50
    Haha! The sprayed panels will be back soon, so it'll be clothed again! And I ended up saving them to my computer, then editing in Paint. It was probably the really long way of doing it, but it worked anyhow. :)

6. frankie0694

frankie0694 New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 50
    Just a quick update with photos: Got the wheels and engine case back from the powder coaters - wheels looking good, engine case not brilliant, but better than it was before. :grin: Not yet got the panels, hopefully Tuesday/ Wednesday, fingers crossed. Trying to find some forks to fit it, the ones that are in a no good at all - if anyone has any/ or knows anyone that may be willing to sell some, then let me know via private message please :beg: :) Got a rear shock on the way to us as we speak, so should be here sooon!

So that's it so far, ta for looking!

Attached Files:

7. benny1985

benny1985 Member

Rides:
    aprilia sonic gp 50
    nice project i have all ways liked typhoons :)

8. frankie0694

frankie0694 New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 50

Picking the panels up tomorrow! I'm so excited! :yahoo: Had a sneak preview yesterday and they look absolutely gorgeous to be honest! I may post some pictures, but I'm not sure, I might wait until it's all back together, so it has more 'wow' factor :grin:

Thanks again for looking :)

9. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

I've had a transmission cover come back like that. I told them to redo it. Came out a bit better.

How did you give it to them before they coated it? Just as it came off your bike or did you prep it at all?

10. frankie0694

frankie0694 New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 50
    Just as it came off the scooter. Didn't really know what to do with it, but the guys at the powder coating place did say that as it was so pitted, and corroded, it might not look amazing, but for now, it will do :) If I can find another engine case, that's in better condition, then I may get that one that one done - just need to save some money up first o_O

11. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

All cases will be like that. Next time just take off the powder coating and give it a going over with sand paper or whatever and I have a pretty good feeling it will come out a lot better.

12. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Lovely wheels :)

13. frankie0694

frankie0694 New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 50
    Thanks for all the comments everyone :)

Yeah, I'm thinking of now getting the engine case done in black as that grey doesn't look quite right with the new panel colour :huh:

So it'll be decided last minute knowing me on what I want to do with it :D

14. frankie0694

frankie0694 New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 50
    And here's the finished product! Taken a little while to put the photo's up but they're here now, so hope you like it!

Attached Files:

karl gilera skp likes this.
  15. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Best looking typhoon i've seen for a long time, except for my beryl!
    [​IMG]

Cboya likes this.
  16. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Yes, very nice indeed :)