Italjet formula 50 LC project?

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by italjohn, Aug 5, 2009.

1. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    YES I'm very interested.
    Can you ask him about the price?
    And maybe take som pictures of it?
    Thanks.
    John.

2. Emmanuel93

Emmanuel93 New Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner 70
    I've got basically a whole italjet formula 50 LC lying in my shed if you want anything.

3. synco

synco Member

Rides:
    Italjet Formula 50LC
    This project looks promising, but don't you think that adapting the katana cylinder is enought?
    That's what i'm planning to do on my formula 50lc and i think it's quite easy to do. I have it all planned and the parts found: The conrod, as you know, is from the Katana (barikit, italkit and some others made it), the crank will be a malossi rhq that i alrready bought from a bargain (new for 150€) and the Airsal 50cc cylinder for the morini Ay50LC.
    I will also fit the bike with the J.costas like variator (Turbokit), Simonini Exhaust, Polini reed valve and intake bracket, stage6 clutch and clutchbell (allready fitted), Top performances Cdi and of course a LOT of job to fit all the parts and make that cylinder perform well.

Fitting the 125 engine would be fun but here in spain that's illegal and riding the bike with a 50's plate with two exhausts looks suspicius :)

Can you please check if the variator case of the 125 fits in the 50cc engine? i was planning to buy one because it has holes to refrigerate but don't know if really fits

4. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

ill try get them on wednesday

5. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Thanks Andy.
    I realy appreciate this :)

6. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Hi Synco.

This sounds interesting.
    Do you have some pictures of it in some forums?
    I'm realy happy if the cylinder will fit, the rest should work fine. (I hope)
    Of course I would love to convert the rear clutch to Minarelli, but that is secound priority.
    Fitting a 125 into a 50 is not legal in any contry, so if do so I will have to reg. it as a 125.
    I don't think the variator cover from the 125 will fit the 50, and I can't check as I don't have a 125 engine.

7. synco

synco Member

Rides:
    Italjet Formula 50LC
    Nope, i don't have any pic of the bike but it's exactly like yours. At the moment i don't have time for her but soon i will take some days at work and i will disassemble it entirely.
    I have some experience in cylinder adapting and in my first project i fitted a 47mm cylinder from a minarelli into a Blata minimoto engine and that was a bit more complicated because it needed a lot of crankcase milling, the morini mod. it only needs to rellocate the holes of the cylinder and some mill and refill of aluminium in the crankcases and will be more easier.
    My bike is not adapted to fit a minarelli clutchbell, i have fitted a CPI oliver clutchbell (112mm) from stage6 with the original clutch (still no money for the stage6) to the original transmission and performs very well but needs a spacer for the bell and some milling in the variator cover.

8. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    I want to share this Formual 50 LC test from TAG no.7 with all of you :grin:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    i remember riding to the shell garage 20 miles from where i lived (only place that had it) taking it home and reading this exact article

10. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    My friend in France has found one type that fits the Formula :yahoo:

[​IMG]

11. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

sorry about delay i went to see the engine but he had scrapped it with aload of other scooter engines sorry

12. synco

synco Member

Rides:
    Italjet Formula 50LC
    Hi all, i have some news and pics about my project.
    This week i'm on a little holidays as we are in "Fallas" (I'm not from valencia but very near) and i started to collect parts to modify the engine but as always i had some problems.. It started with the crank, i took it to change the conrod but they didn't fitted it well and i lost 1 day because i had to return it so they could assemble it again. This is how it looks:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then i started to work on the cylinder milling aluminium to make the intake conducts bigger but the dremel it started to go wrong.. i moved to the intake bracket and reed cage because it needed less work and when i had almost finished the milling the dremel died.
    I had no choice, i will resume the work on easter with a flexible shaft motor and a new handpiece to make the work better and maybe soon i will buy a angle head handpiece to modify cylinder timings (port height and width).

By the time this is what i bought and worked on.

Cilinder airsal 50cc (not finished)
    [​IMG]

Polini intake and reed valve (intake hole centered, oil pump holes made and prepaired to fit a homemade Stuffer)
    [​IMG]

Neccesary milling to fit the polini reed valve
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Engine workshop tools
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

PD: I told you about a blata engine mod. and here you have some pics of the work and the bike

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Very nice.
    This was realy good info for me.
    Thanks for this.
    Hope to see more pictures of the engine, after you have modded it to accept the new reed.
    I have ordered the same from http://www.italjet.co.uk

14. synco

synco Member

Rides:
    Italjet Formula 50LC
    Yes, i saw the kit from italjet uk but i don't want to run the scooter without oil pump.
    I bought the aluminium intake and the reed valve from Sip-scootershop, i paid 40€ for the cage and 30€ for the intake, it's even twice the price but i prefer to fill the oil tank and ride until the light comes on :mrgreen:

I was searching for a decent pic of the Turbomaxx variator i wiil fit in the bike but i only found the bigger version for the 4stroke 125 and 250's that made Jcosta, at least it has good quality and it's the same but with 10 rollers http://www.motosdaysa.es/accesorios/MOTOR/J_COSTA_archivos/vmega.jpg. I also found a video of how it works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUW4mER4obE&feature=player_embedded#

Finally i got a pic of the bike, not the best shot but at least you can see that it's still alive :)
    [​IMG]

15. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    I want to keep my oil pump as well, so I will use only the reed block and the original intake, like you do.
    The Joe Costa variator looks realy clever, but I doubt you will find one who will fit the Formula.

16. synco

synco Member

Rides:
    Italjet Formula 50LC
    I actually found one some time ago, it's made by Turbokit and it's called Turbomax Variator, the ref. number is TM04 (TM03 is for katana engines). Jcosta made it too but i think that Turbokit buy the patent and they make it with another name and 20€ more cheaper :grin: It cost around 80€ and here you have the brochure with prices
    http://totmoto.totmoto.com/php/publ...to=41559&file_root=pdf/variadoresturbokit.pdf

17. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
  18. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    I'm planning to splitt the engine this weekend.
    I will try to make the new reed fit, and need to mill allot from the block to make it fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Than the engine is split, and I have milled one side of the castings. Everything looking good so far :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One side ready.

[​IMG]

Had to open the inlet. It's a BIG different in the reed area if you compare the original and the Polini.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are some new parts from italjet.co.uk
    The igniton is for my Dragster 50.

[​IMG]

20. synco

synco Member

Rides:
    Italjet Formula 50LC
    Wow, good pictures john, i see a lot of fun with the epoxy putty and the dremel burrs :)
    I already matched the reed valve to the intake bracket and now i completed the reed stuffer to refill that excess volume[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I will do the same to the intake bracket matching the holes so the flow of air will be the same all the way to the reed valve.
    As i saw in your pictures the cases have a bad flow to the cylinder and a lot of excess volume to refill and that means bad precompression. Next week i will do some pics of what i'm planning to do on the cases to make the flow to the cylinder better.