ELECTRICAL: Dashboard turn signal indicator - wiring directly to indicator cluster

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by PlasticPaddy, Jul 1, 2012.

1. PlasticPaddy

PlasticPaddy New Member

Hi,

I have a 2003 piaggio skipper 125ST which for the most part is a sound bike. I have no real complaints but it's age is starting to show now and I am hoping someone here might be able to assist with some basic electrical help.

Essentially my query is this: the dashboard has lights to show you when the indicator lights are on, it has both left and right indicators as opposed to just one single bulb telling you that either the left or the right indicators are on. Probably standard on most piaggios.

The circuit board that used to light these indicators on the dash has corroded and is not repairable by me (un-solderable flexi plastic PCB) so I am looking for a way to take a few wires piggy-backed from somewhere near the actual indicators in the headlight cluster to run two bulbs that I will glue in place in the dashboard. These bulbs will just confirm that one of the indicators is on and remind me I need to cancel it.

I've taken a diagram from elsewhere to hopefully explain the above a bit better. It just shows a simple wiring diagram and how I want to take power from the existing set up and run 2 new bulbs from it (LH and RH turn on dash).

TurnSignal.jpg

I understand that the system is 12v, I believe the turn signal bulbs are 10Watt, it is as it left the factory as far as I know.

In an ideal world I could just tap into the live and ground for each bulb and run some cables directly into new bulbs (in parallel); when the turn signals light up, so do the indicator bulbs attached to them. I doubt its that simple. I don't know what rating of bulb and cable to use, whether I would need resistors in series/parallel running to the new bulbs, whether splicing any new bulb into the existing cables would cause a power drop. Ideally I would use some simple white LED's from maplin (which run at around 3Volts I think).

Hopefully I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be. I'd appreciate any help someone here might be able to give me if you get a spare minute.

Thanks in advance,
    Pads.