Aerox Blown Piston + Crank Problems

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Cjkt, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Cjkt

Cjkt Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Okay so i took my engine apart today and as i expected the piston was blown and had scored all the barrell up but no damage was done to the head, but you cant buy a barrell on its own can you? I already brought the stage 6 streetrace piston as that is what it is but looks like i am going to have to buy a whole new 70 kit any suggestions?

Also i dont know what has happened to my crank but it looks like this -
    IMG00281-20111210-1600.jpg IMG00282-20111210-1600.jpg

I dont have a clue how thats happened!!!
    But on the up side i have a spare crank in a different engine casing, It looks like :
    IMG00284-20111210-1606.jpg IMG00285-20111210-1607.jpg
    Now i think this maybe a aftermarket crank if anyone knows it would help alot!! The other conrod has 010 on it if that helps ! So any help or suggestions would be great if you know about the crank or what 70 kit to get :)

2. GUNS

GUNS the usual suspect

Rides:
    racing SP70 & LX172
    possible when the piston overheated, it expanded enough for the skirt to make slight contact with the crank webs. Maybe helped by worn bearings, all four of them, and maybe not a " 100%," true crank.

Little out of tolerances, add up, hence adjusting squish with base gaskets.

Cjkt likes this.
  3. Cjkt

Cjkt Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Cheers mate that makes alot of sense i think that is whats happened :(
    What do you think about the other crank does it look upgraded to you ?

4. GUNS

GUNS the usual suspect

Rides:
    racing SP70 & LX172
    can't comment on that crank, but will say this, if you put some brand new cranks*, on vee blocks with dial gauges they can move the needles like a rev counter, hence I never on a 50cc would take the chance with a second hand crank, especially if it is unknown.

A crank dropped that lands badly once, is scrap, yes it will work, but the engine will eat bearings and vibrate badly.

* buy only from reputable makers, who have tight quality control.

5. Cjkt

Cjkt Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Right yeah i understand what you mean !
    And this crank was in another engine of mine so i will check it over and any knocks i will keep what you have said in mind thanks alot mate really has helped!

6. Canning1337

Canning1337 Scooter Tuner

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox 50
    Ouch, that's annoying you'll have to get a new cylinder... Maybe a Stage6 Race? Polini Corsa? MHR? I suppose they're all high end racing cylinders and could be a bit more maintenance but if you took care of it right from the start, letting it warm up and not ragging it everywhere then it could be a good purchase.

Let me know how it goes Cjkt, don't like to see an Aerox dying :/ Hahaa <3

oliwest likes this.
  7. Cjkt

Cjkt Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Stage 6 sport pro or stage 6 sport pro racing :)

8. Cjkt

Cjkt Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    And yeah no neither do i :( i will run it in properly tho and get it all set up nicely! message me Canning!!

9. Canning1337

Canning1337 Scooter Tuner

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox 50
    Probably the Stage Six Pro, the racing will probably be less reliable in day to day usage as it's designed for real power and performance. You're still going to get that from the Pro, but the reliability is slightly up't 'cause it's not as 'hardcore' as the Racing. =)

10. Cjkt

Cjkt Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Yeah i agree, i think ill get the stage 6 pro as soon as it comes back in stock :)

11. GUNS

GUNS the usual suspect

Rides:
    racing SP70 & LX172
    One of the reasons for the delay in stock, is that both stage six sport pro and the racing, have a Mk 11 version, I believe there were 50 units of the new racing a while back distributed by Scooter Attack, but swallowed up by pre-orders.

So they are probably re tooling for the Sport Pro now, I will give you a link, ignore the time scale given.

http://www.facebook.com/myrddin13?n....10150393880330715.407666.165331900714&type=3

12. Cjkt

Cjkt Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Depending on what comes out first will be what i order i need to be back on road!!