100mph runner 50 project

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by martain, Jun 22, 2011.

1. martain

martain New Member

Rides:
    Runner sp50
    ok so here goes and a quick comment first dont bother trying to tell me you cant get a 100mph cos im not going to listen nothing is impossible!

hi all am martin from welwyn in herts have finally acquired my self a scooter after lots of looking about managed to get an 02 plate gilera runner 50 as a non runner has following mods
    full evo panel set
    jack up kit
    carbon lense covers
    quad headlight
    carbon look under tray
    was on a 70 bore pp tuning but is semi seized so will be replacing
    4.5 polini rollers
    polini air filter
    Leo Vince zx exhaust
    21mm carb with a 95 jet (think this is reason for kaboom)
    malossi carbon fiber reeds
    polini drive belt
    Doppler air system

bikes in a fair state no nasty broken panels crank seems fine although replacing the main anyways

any upgrades i would be recommended feel free to fire away

and i paid 260 for it no tax mot til august

plans are to get it running basically i have the engine stripped just got to get the magneto off to get the crank out noticed on stripping the gearbox seal is leaking so will be replacing that will try to add as many pictures as possible

my shopping list
    70cc big bore kit
    bigger carb 25mm+
    custom air filter induction
    custom expansion pipe (home made)
    paint engine inner case in vht enamel white
    paint outer cases same color as bike
    change petrol tanks got
    change clocks - may remove from housing to make custom clocks got
    renthal bars
    port resizing - possible exhaust timing altering
    gearbox upgrade polini gear up primary and secondary got secondary
    every new seal and gasket
    bypass oil pump for premix
    by pass water pump for electric pump
    fit different wheels bigger with bigger brakes got
    fit new front forks got
    remove oil tank
    depending on how quick the pull away lengthen the bracket to make engine sit back (but aiming for a top speed)
    upgraded clutch and custom variator

2. Cjkt

Cjkt Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Re: another runner 50 project

Yeah get pictures up asap mate!!!

3. J4CK

J4CK Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 172

Any pictures? :cray:

4. Gamble

Gamble Member

Get some pictures up! By the sounds of it mate, you got a bargain there. :good:

5. martain

martain New Member

Rides:
    Runner sp50

ok this is the advertised picture

[​IMG]

this is a few pics of when i got it back home

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

engine now completely stripped and in the tank to be cleaned gearbox inner seal was leaking and faffed reason is this
    [​IMG]
    must of been like this for a while also found a shard of little end in wedged in main bearing well worth the complete strip :clapping:

today i picked up some parts of another bike i had for breaking st125 runner

i plan to use the wheels with brakes wheel on front 2 inch bigger rear wheel is a 13 and has a much bigger disc, also the clocks just gotta work out the wiring loom which i also have bought a few bits back to try on have the fuel tank is smaller but has the aero fuel tank cap in middle of bike rather than inner front panel :)

6. martain

martain New Member

Rides:
    Runner sp50
    ok so have some goodies from other scoots for my ped and some plans laid in my head :cheers:

so heres some pics of what i have

first up the clocks old ones and new ones
    [​IMG]

next we have the old rear wheel and new rear wheel

old
    [​IMG]

new
    [​IMG]

also have a smaller petty tank beleive its a 10l over the standard 12 it also has a different filling loaction

old
    [​IMG]

new
    [​IMG]

next i have what the bike looks like in its sorry state
    [​IMG]

engine cases in cleaner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

new front forks and wheel with bigger disc and electronic speedo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

exhaust leo that came with bike might make my own tuned expansion to suit the bike
    [​IMG]

thats all i have for pics right now but will take more as i make progress :)

7. scott runner sp

scott runner sp Member

Rides:
    stage6 runner 70
    looks good m8 and what a bargain it was!! :grin:

8. Gilly-93

Gilly-93 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr70
  9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    i was thinking the same...

new shape parts dont fit on an old shape runner pal. the wheels are stupidly big. also id check if the big disk still fits with the original caliper or if youve replaced it if it even fits within the wheel and clears the valve. as for 100mph... not out of a 70 runner, too heavy, too much air to move out of the way. but keep going and keep us all posted :)

10. mgyz3@hotmail.com

mgyz3@hotmail.com New Member

Rides:
    Gilly 172
    good lookin project mate.
    where abouts in welwyn you from im proberly just round the corner from you

11. martain

martain New Member

Rides:
    Runner sp50
    if it don't fit now it will do soon whole point of custom and modifying gonna use the forks from the st as well and like i say im just having a crack if it goes 100 all good if it don't ill keep trying but i shan't be using nos at all

i live just up opposite the bp garage in old welwyn mate if your from old welwyn i know most people in to bikes i got all the cars on the garden cant miss it

as for wheels large wheels are better for speed small wheels are great for pulling away

12. martain

martain New Member

Rides:
    Runner sp50
    sold exhaust today to a mate with a typhoon for a tidy sum of 100 pounds as gonna make my own expansion pipe

today Ive cleaned cases up and removed all bushes from engine and gonna take them to to be acid dipped tomorrow along with side case

then i can prep for paint on Monday

also gonna try get a a few quotes from local scooter places on all new seals, bushes and bearings so hopefully have some of bottom end back together by this time next week

tried the new front end on and it seems to fit nicely on the bottom race and on the top although the threaded part at the top isn't long enough so im going to cut a few more threads for it to pull it together tomorrow with any luck i will post pics and u can tell me what you guys think always gonna have some haters but its all about being different

removed old tank also gonna be a bit of fabricating to get it in but all fun a and games love a good challenge

that about concludes today's fun will post pics tomorrow to show my progress don't look to great though ill tell u that now

13. Gilly Boi Mike 70

Gilly Boi Mike 70 New Member

wow ur happy getting £100 for that zx , 2nd hand chrome 1s normally go for £30 near me lol

14. martain

martain New Member

Rides:
    Runner sp50
    SHHH DONT SAY THAT HE MIGHT SEE THIS POST LOL.....

MANAGED TO GET THROUGH THE WIRING THIS EVENING AND WORK OUT WHAT WIRE DOES WHAT ON THE NEW CLOCKS WELL I THINK NE HOW GOT THE MAINS SORTED OUT JUST GOT 1 OR 2 LEFT TO CHECK ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET FIND OUT WHAT COLOUR DOES WHAT FROM A SET OF 2010 ST125 CLOCKS ?

15. martain

martain New Member

Rides:
    Runner sp50
    ok so picking cases up from being acid dipped today and ordered some new parts got Bearing Kit and Oil Seal Kit

also ordered some vht primer and vht white enamel so next pics will be engine work only a mild flowing and primer and painted cases :)

16. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    I'm sure the new shape runners run a digital speedo and drive , not a cable driven one.
    I suggest major weight reduction and a serious bore and even that will want some proper metal work if your aiming so high.

Good luck with it fella :good:

17. lshigham

lshigham Member

yup, they do. It's pretty accurate too, which is a bonus

18. martain

martain New Member

Rides:
    Runner sp50
    yes it is a digital speedo drive and clock :p i have the front end installed just have to re-tap the thread a little as i think the stock is longer on the sr but bearings and cases seem to be the same i had a wiring loom from the sr which i have mullered and worked out which wire does what i think i have mastered it

yes i will be losing as much weight as possibly and is why i have gone for bigger wheels to have a longer rolling radios for that extra top end at the sacrifice of pull off ok so the 13 rear is only and inch but i gain a bit of width just got to nick the primary shaft from a sr and modify it to fit as splines in wheels are different

I'm planning on the athena flat top piston with the smallest squish i can get and keeping the compression fairly normal to gain the speed

and yes weight reduction is important what i have gained in wheels and bigger brakes is not so good but loosing oil pump and oil tank for premix and crank driven water pump for electric and hopefully a smaller tank, i may alter the frame in a few places but i don't really see much bulk on there to take off.

if i don't make 100 id like to think id be close i know it can be done and it will be a buzz proving it :p

OK and an update on the bike picked cases up yesterday gave them a little clean to get some of the last corrosion off and they are ready for paint which is gonna be here Monday i hope, started matching the cases tonight cant believe how far they are out, will post pics of the finished article hopefully get a full day on Sunday to play

19. grantmc3

grantmc3 Member

Rides:
    piaggio nrg mc3
    hey looking good mate and as forr hitting 100, most 172 sprinters will have trouble getting to 100mph i think you should aim abit lower on the top speed

20. martain

martain New Member

Rides:
    Runner sp50
    WELL LIKE I SAY ITS JUST AN AIM ITS GOOD TO SET YOUR AIMS HIGH :p MORE PASSION AND ALL

oops caps on

ok ordered the doppler s7r today looked the same set up as the athena hpr flat top and reading good reveiws on here about it so thought why not just gotta order me a crank now and pretty much there on the parts dug some old 2 stroke carbs out the other day found 4 some mikunis and others few prob to big for the lil 70 but atleast ill have one for the runner 180 project next if i dont decide to do one of many otha projects on the go :)

done some flowing to the cases and and matching just gotta smooth a few bits off all cases are in etching primer leaving paint til the last moment as dont wanna damage anything with them laying around