zip with odd fault.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by fula28, Sep 5, 2014.

1. fula28

fula28 Member

Hi folks well winters about to set upon us again and I've just been given another dog of a zip 50 2t cat model. With tt pipe and rollers 60. Main jet. it's stolen recoverd, it was running not now it's been dropped off with me anyways here we go see what you guys think of it. Replaced stator and coil,/cdi cap plug .new auto choke and petrol vac tap. New reed block carb ultrasonic ally cleaned, it starts like champ run nice at idle an revs clean, when you pull away it's fine revs well pulls nice, then after 50 metres or so starts to die off like it's missing and runs low throttle I.e on needle. But will not rev say about 1/4throttle,
    One thought is maybe I should have fitted new flywheel as well as stator? Possibly or am I looking at wrong thing entirely.

Any thoughts happy to recieve. Cheers guys.

2. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Does it have an immobiliser fitted? Some immobilisers won't let the engine rev above 4000rpm if the key code hasn't read properly or the ECU has got corrupted and this could be your problem. Do you have a red master key with the bike? If not, get an aftermarket immobiliser by-pass ignition unit.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Have you tried up-jetting?
    Wouldn't think it was the flywheel as you wouldn't get a spark if that had gone.

4. fula28

fula28 Member

No imobilzer it's std zip 50. 2005 cat model. And jetting not sure about that as I've dropped it from 60 main to 58 and 56 still same, fault so not jetting . If it needed to be up jetted the plug colour would be pale and lean so not jetting am sure.

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Standard airbox or open filter?

6. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Carb float height maybe set too low, so the float bowl empties before the valve has a chance to refill it?

Car float jet blocked with crud?

7. fula28

fula28 Member

Carb has standard airbox with stock airfilter element oiled lightly only thing which it doesn't have is rubber flat pipe from airbox down over motor, as for carb like I said it's been ultrasonic ally cleaned rebuilt, new main jet, no dirt or partials in there, float height cannot be altered on this delorto as has plastic float and this cannot be adjusted.?

8. DashG

DashG New Member

Sounds like the auto choke isn't working properly. I buy and sell scooters and had 3-4 Piaggio Zips with this problem so far this year!

Start her up and idle for a few minutes and see if the choke gets warm at the top, thats the easiest way to check.

I tend to check by taking them out, clean up and then connect the 2 wires straight to a battery and see if it gets hot/extends after 5 minutes.

Oh and I know you said it has a new auto choke, but for the sake of 5 minutes to double check the new part is working - It could save you a lot of headache.

It definitely sounds carb related rather than ignition, the 50 meters is either the engine warming up beyond the need of the stuck on choke, or the air/fuel mix isn't right for the choke to turn off.

Get a can of easy start and spray it into the air box with the bike running and the throttle open - Does it rev up ok? If it does it's not ignition its the mixture.

9. fula28

fula28 Member

Thanks dash kind need this sort of help, will try the heat up method and see , so it seems they work by heating up and extending I tryed the old one on battery but few seconds only.??!my mistake there I guess anyways, I've tryed solvent in airbox and revs up so must be mixture then, I.e choke liking this allready will report tomorrow after kids are at school. Cheers fula.

10. DashG

DashG New Member

No problem mate - Yeah it works like a thermostat, they're full of wax inside and it's basically just a heater element that melts the wax and lets it plug the hole and turn the choke off

The choke is on until the bike has been on long enough to melt the wax :)

Wire it up to the battery and forget about it for 5 minutes you'll feel the heat in the top of the choke body (the very top part)

Let me know how you get on I might be able to help you out if it's not that

Edit:

Oh and forgot to say, it's worth trying it plugged into the bike as well as trying it wired straight to a battery because then you can tell if the wiring up to the choke is working and actually giving it power

11. fula28

fula28 Member

Will do Dash , thanks again for your help in this, usually great little scoots I've done a couple in past but this one has has ruff time being stolen recoverd and with 5k on clock. See how she fairs in a bit.

12. fula28

fula28 Member

We'll put original choke unit on tested out ok on battery, put 60 main jet back in and it ran well for nearly 1mile then once hot it seems to bog, the needle is worn half way up, this is also where the bogging starts, odd that, cannot believe that 1/2 throttle upwards it's over fueling but hey maybe, I'm going to order new needle tomorrow as you can feel notch in it with my nail, if you feather throttle and run low Rpms it's great nice peedy pickup so I'm happy that rollers are bob on weight wise! Dead snappy, plug was new today and it's perfect grey/brown colour . The fault continues.

13. fula28

fula28 Member

Well no Volts at auto choke plug con,d out the wires and both are good , yellow wire spices into rear light which works so odd? Battery is charging at13volts and does nt drop out with Rpm increase so hope recifier regulators playing ball. Thinking of wiring up constant feed to choke unit see it this puts choke off, as it starts on button every time. This would hopefully proven there is a another issue if it revs out with out bogging then,
    How many volts does it take to drop choke unit out?
    Well unplugged reg/rec checked all wires and no real obvious issues, tryed. Multimeter on A/c rev,d it hard and bingo 12-13 volts ac, and now headlight works on dip didn't before don't know if disturbed something or if it's dicky plug, will try it again tonight get it nice and hot see what score is.

14. DashG

DashG New Member

Yeah it runs very low volts until you rev it up - Does the choke get hot, by the time its bogging? Take it out and have a feel when it starts running bad. If the chokes cold its that, if it's hot then it's working.

15. fula28

fula28 Member

It's defo getting warmer and extended out all way but still same fault, from cold it's like scalded cat, but few yards up the road it's bogs down and back to square one. Tryed another Cdi another plug, carb. Checked and cleaned again headlght still intermittent which worries me as the choke and wiring to head lamp tail lamp are connected. Going to try new regulator rectifier tomorrow . As run out of ideas and patents . ???

16. fula28

fula28 Member

Well positively made better inroads tonight!!! After new reg/rec no improvement thought fuck it I will go up jet didn't have any bigger than 60main so used no. Drill drilled to 65 main, pulls like it should not sure how fast but way over 45mph so will fix speedo and see along with new front pads and rear shocker!!! This scoot is for a cycle race team locally and they need it to do at least 40mph. Which am dam sure it will now.
    Thanks for help Dash. We got there in the end .

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Oh look, up-jetting has cured your fault it seems. :rolleyes:

18. fula28

fula28 Member

Yes Steve Odd so it seems the plug colour was perfect and no leaning issues were shown, and going from60-65 size Did make the difference , but just such strange felling on a scoot , my older bike when lean would rev there knackers off super fast and give pale white ish plug colour to indicate lean mixture, but not on these!????
    Thanks Steve.

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Cold also depend on the grade of plug you have in, there is a difference between hot and cold running plugs that won't give the same plug colour as the standard one. Nice to know its sorted though.