Zip stuck in low gear??

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by Jayyhittaa, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Jayyhittaa

Jayyhittaa New Member

50cc standard piston
    Stage 6 pipe
    Stage 6 variator
    Stage 6 belt
    6.25g rollers

The bike revs up and the wheel goes straight up from the spot, quickest ped I've been on. The acceleration is really quick but then it doesn't seem like the transmition is going into that "second gear" it's just sits at 15mph and screams it's nuts off, any help?

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Check the rear pulley is opening and closing fully with no dragging on the centre shaft.
    Make sure the belt is running to the very top on the vario and the bottom on the clutch pulleys, and has it got the right belt on it, i.e width wise.
    If the belt is too thick, it won't reach the top/bottom respectively.

3. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Could be that the rollers are too light. What bike have you got? Did you select the roller weights or were they supplied with the variator and are they the right dimensions?
    The initial pull away is controlled by the clutch springs up to about 5mph. After the clutch engages then the rollers come into play to control the speed at which the 'gears' engage. If the rollers are too light or the wrong size then they will be unable to push the variator plate out sufficiently.
    6.5 may be too light.
    The roller mm size may be wrong.
    Rollers may be flat and sticking in the variator.
    As above, is the belt right for that variator and moving properly. If its sat low and not riding up the face of the variator then you'll go nowhere.
    Get the bike running then carefully remove the transmission cover without damaging your starter gear. Watch what your drive system is doing as you rev up. Let us know.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  4. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

6.5 gm sounds about right for the zip so check you've got the right dimension rollers in and that they aren't flat. Check belt ride as above.

5. Jayyhittaa

Jayyhittaa New Member

Woah, thanks for the quick replies guys. The variator came with the rollers and I'm certain the belt is correct, I'll take the cover off and let you know what's happening in there. Also want to make sure I've installed the variator correctly, it came with come black spacer? Kinda large and about an inch thick? Any idea? Thanks

6. Jayyhittaa

Jayyhittaa New Member

The variator also came with the one on the top (see photo) what one should I be using. The stock one or the one that came with the variator? IMG_1162.JPG

7. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    kinda large and an inch thick thats not a spacer its an overrange spacer.
    you will install the stage 6 sliding boss that came with variator

install the stage 6 sliding boss , pop on the stage 6 overrange spacer blot it all back down ...... test and come tell us how it is.

i have a funny feeling its either a overrange spacer or it maybe a restictor. but i hedge my bet on it being overrange spacer

8. Jayyhittaa

Jayyhittaa New Member

Also came with this?? IMG_0822.JPG

9. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    measure those ring spacers.

if they are the same Outer diamiter of the variator sliding boss they are overdrive rings, if one fits over the sliding boss its a restictor and restricts the bikes speed output.

10. Jayyhittaa

Jayyhittaa New Member

Guys I've sorted it, there was a little spacer at the back behind the variator that was on from stick, I just had to take it off, thanks for your help but it's all running now!!! Thanks guys

11. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    :cool:

sweet Jay, enjoy the ride buddy