Zip SP question and price

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Nathanael, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

Hi, I have had the chance to purchase a brand new unregistered piazzio zip sp scoot for £1100
    I know they haven't been made here for a few years so can anyone tell me how old it is likely to be and if the price seems good?

Also, just wondering what speed a standard but derestricted zip sp will do on LEVEL ground?

Thanks

2. Burridge

Burridge Ambulance selfie King

Rides:
    MZ TS125 #swag
    Ask the person who's selling it how old it is.
    And if you're crazy enough to spend over a grand on a moped then go for it o_O
    And de restricted you can expect to get around 45 out of it, maybe a bit more.

3. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

Its just as a second bike, quite fancy the look of them and seems to have good tuning potential. It would be replacing my yamaha slider, I seem to have reached its limits as far as power gains go.........

4. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

i have a mk 1 zip sp and i have seen 62 mph on clock but its more like its top speed is high 50s before i de restricted the exhaust i was lucky to get 40 mph now i can keep up with vespa px scooters no problem

5. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

cheers,seems like they go pretty well then :)

6. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

mine was a completely different after i had fully de restricted the standard exhaust

7. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

sounds promising:bulliporker: what jet size did you use after you had derestricted the exhaust? I am assuming the 2 pipes coming off it need to be cut and welded or is their a washer in the header as well?

8. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

jet size is 85 but i have not replaced it as you can not buy bigger jets anywhere plug is correct colour after a fast run , the manifold i cut of the extra pipe and welded it up did not find any washer in manifold

9. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

Is yours a mark1 zip then? the one I was looking at had 2 blind pipes coming off the exhaust in addition to the air recirc valve. And I thought it had much smaller jet size originally, a 56 or so?

10. Burridge

Burridge Ambulance selfie King

Rides:
    MZ TS125 #swag
    If you've got the money to buy the bike you should have enough to spend 70 quid or so on a new pipe altogether :p

11. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

I get a fair bit of satisfaction from doing things a little at a time till I get bored and fancy a bit more!

12. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

yes mines a mk 1 zip it only had one pipe coming of the manifold this made no difference whatsoever to performance when cut of and welded up and it has a 12mm webber carb fitted not a 17.5 dellorto but soon going to replace carb with the 17.5 as its easy to buy bigger jets ,

13. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

Im a bit confused.First you said this:
    i have a mk 1 zip sp and i have seen 62 mph on clock but its more like its top speed is high 50s before i de restricted the exhaust i was lucky to get 40 mph now i can keep up with vespa px scooters no proble.

Then you said this:
    yes mines a mk 1 zip it only had one pipe coming of the manifold this made no difference whatsoever to performance when cut of and welded up

Which one is it?

14. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

when i bought my 1997 zip it had 600 odd miles on clock from new , it was totally standard had not been de restricted and never been tampered with in any way , and it had never been on public roads , it did 33mph i removed the washer it did 42 if i was lucky , then i removed and re welded the manifold still 42mph , then i fitted a malossi multivar, lightened rollers and cut open the exhaust and removed the main de restricting washer i could not believe the difference the other week i saw 62mph on clock but maybe speedo is being opta mistic i dont know but its certainly another world from when i bought it

15. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

Sounds interesting. What did the inside of the exhaust look like? Did you just gut the silencer? Forgive all the questions but I spend hours and hours reading about everything bike related and am very curious about everything to do with them.

16. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    the mk1 zip uses a 12.5/13mm carb, the newer zip sp's use a 17.5 dellorto carb, standard jet is 52, you will want around a 56 when de-restricting engine/exhaust the two pipes need to be welded up also....

17. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

cheers. Hopefully picking the scoot up this week. Plan is to fit a stage 6 sport pro cylinder fairly soon and just run it on the original pipe for a while. After that I would fit an exhaust system.

It may seem the reverse order to the way things are usually done but I had very good results on my ludix a few years back with just an airsal t6 cylinder fitted. Loads of smooth usable pulling power and all that was needed was to rejet the carb. No roller or clutch alterations required.

I am assuming that with the cylinder kit fitted I should really remove the brass plate on the carb and start off with a 70 jet or so initially and see how things look.

18. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    that is a aly cylinder I'm guessing it's the MKII ( I own'd one), That cylinder will run a bag of shite on standard parts, I'd personally only put a sport kit on (Polini sport) if you're running all standard internals/pipe, You will need different rollers i'm afraid, and more like a 75 if everything's de-restircted.

19. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

Really? I looked at a dyno chart of it and it appeared to be making similar power to the polini sport kit through the rev range, it was only at higher revs that it showed advantages and I didnt see any huge drops in power output at the same sort of revs a standard cylinder works at.

The plan was to run it like that for a while and then change the exhaust and clutch together and just enjoy it for a year or so till I get the funds together to do the engine build I really want.

Of course, talking about my ludix again with just the cylinder fitted it wasnt much quicker than standard, the main difference was that it could maintain its top speed on half throttle, was great up the hills and actually more economical than standard. Once the exhaust was added and set up correctly it really woke the bike up and turned it into a fast revvy wheel lifting machine. Was hoping for much the same result here.

20. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

But now that you know what my expectations are, if you still think it will drive like a bag of spanners I may do things in a different order.