Zip rst tuning.

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by JerseyJim, Jun 30, 2011.

1. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    been down the basic's route with my zip, 'zaust, air filter and carb up jet, lightened rollers, uprated clutch springs and its going well but i want more... ridden a friends BW's a few days a go and its hard to keep the front wheel on the ground, it has a 70 kit of unknown origin 17.5 car, race crank etc, and to be fair its a bit bonkers to ride even vaguely sanely, however i made me smile like a dribbling fool :grin:

Looking at a 70 kit for mine now and wondering which is the best to go for, looking at the PM xtech or the Polini cast iron 47mm kit, both around the same price?

Also would you recommend a race crank if so which, again its either the Top racing Evo, or the Doppler Piaggio race?

Also 17.5mm or 21mm carb?

And finally, which upgear kit would be best, and should i change the primary and/or the secondary gearing?

Lots of questions i know but could really do with some answers before splashing my hard earned...

Thanks in advance... :good:

2. brettfield999

brettfield999 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 172
    Welcome Newbie, Check the guides section: http://www.scootershack.co.uk/budget50guide.html

Most of your questions will be answered in there, personal preference malossi 70 sport iron kit for a compromise on performance and longevity but I hear the polini's are good also.

3. Gamble

Gamble Member

As brett says above a lot of your questions answers will be scattered around the forum. I would personally avoid the PM tuning 70 kits and would definitely opt for the Polini sport, gives good power and should be reliable as a stock part if looked after correctly.

I would also recommend upgrading to a 21mm carburettor, this will help you see the biggest performance gain from your kit. Depending on the how many miles and the general engine condition the standard crank should be ok for a sport setup, however as it's an old scoot it'll be worth looking into in more detail to see what conditions it's in.

4. scott runner sp

scott runner sp Member

Rides:
    stage6 runner 70
    am getting a stage 6 streetrace 70 kit from ped parts for my runner 2moz because i heard it was a good deal at only £102, so once fitted i will let you know wot its like m8

5. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    any joy with that kit yet then?

6. scott runner sp

scott runner sp Member

Rides:
    stage6 runner 70
    yeh its great mate, excellent performance etc at a bargain price, top ends about 65 now instead of 50 and the accel is unbeleiveable, finally got power were if i am cruising at 40 and snap the throttle right back it will pull like a train

7. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    Sounds like almost exactly what im after, just from 30 up to 55-60... :D

What else are you running carb etc wise as i am im just getting some reasonable money together so im looking at making some purchases and its always good to get first hand feed back...?

8. scott runner sp

scott runner sp Member

Rides:
    stage6 runner 70
    just bought a zip tonite lol but mk2 so gna be doing the same to this, the runner had a 17.5 mm delly carb, polini air filter, and a doppler s3r exhaust, and 4.7 rollers in polini variator, but if you purchase the stage 6 cylinder i would go for the stage 6 pro rep pipe as its a good match etc and is one of the cheapest exhausts available, go have a look on pedparts mate thats were a got it all from and good look with project mate can wait to c it done