zip 50 to 70..whole new look to..

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Dwaine, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Dwaine

Dwaine Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    Hi all not been very active for a while.And after deciding to move my scooter up a notch thought ide have a go at a thread.
    Well i got my 2001 piaggio zip back in December last year had a few electrical falts with how ever managed to overcome most of them and just enjoyed using the little thing to get from A to B and to work and back as it's ran pretty fine and done me ok. When purchased it was whit and black with a yasuni exhaust and a loud sponge filter witch i removed as of bad weather.After not that long got board of the color and changed it ti this

from purchase white.jpg

then i sprayed it..
    green.jpg
    green (2).jpg

then i sprayed the wheels black and added some carbon rap to the forks and other bits also brought a new black seat and sprayed the exhaust to.

with black wheels n carbon.jpg black wheels.jpg
    green blacdk.jpg
    So that we she is now and im BOARD again with her plkus after riding it a while decided i wanted abit more grunt and know and seeing i few people i know running 70cc bore kits thought ide take the shot and go for it.
    So after a few days i had a parcel delivered from pedparts HHHMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmm

ow looksi

malossi kit.jpg Quiet happy with it to be far looks quiet decant as tho this is the 1st kit i have handled LOL..
    Then after looking realised it had no piston ring's or clips for the piston hhmmm then located them stuffed inside the barrel lol what a place to put them ay....Any how the other week i managed to come of the little sod in the wet.
    I wa turning onto my street at around 20mph it was slinging down with rain and front wheel just whent from under me.I managed to half jump of and army TUMBLE to the ground getiing wet through and just a minor graze to my elbow.

so thats about it for know i shall up date as i go i have pics of the start of the sanding and prep ready for paint i shall up load when i find then on other laptop
    thanks all comments and suggestions welcomed.

2. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    good set of crash bars and a better tyre for the front.

scubabiker likes this.
  3. Dwaine

Dwaine Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    crash bars ??

4. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    metal bars that hit the ground before your body work does...like a mods scooter...a bloody good tyre may be a good idea on a serious note ..winters coming and tyres are often neglected in favour of looks..

5. Dwaine

Dwaine Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    i understand your awareness on tyre's but this wont be getting used for at lest the next month or so,,as it is in a few differant piece's at the mo and will be untill this build is completed ;)

6. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    wish I had mine with me...it's 200 miles away in burton and I'm in Gillingham,Kent..got the money to get it but ain't got the time.

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

shouldn't take you more than half a day to install that lot. Maybe a full day to tune the carb properly.
    However, I would keep the standard carb on at the moment, simply because you have to run the new cylinder in properly. Thats 300 miles minimum of steady riding, avoiding high revs, and struggling not to bat it everywhere.
    The front will lift very easily with that cylinder on it so be careful when accelerating from standstill and round a corner as the front tyre will leave the road.

8. Dwaine

Dwaine Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    Yh heard these kits are ok plus reviews seem ok only kit in its range is 1 of stage6 as heard this just has te edge on the polini kits...as of the carb ive managed to get a dell 20.5 I just need to collect it any thing elae I may of forgot feel free to say.

Right on to panel work.The rear has been sanded ans is about ready for filler but what im thinking is do I smoothe ghe line accross the panel in to and loose it all togeather or leqve it how it is. 20141108_153913.jpg 20141108_153943.jpg 20141108_153913.jpg 20141108_153943.jpg

Also from when receaved the bike ghwre was bit of back plastic been scrapped off due to flipping it I guess

20141108_154010.jpg 20141108_153835.jpg

So thats were am at currently any advice welcome and shall I smooth out the whole the panel do you think cheers

9. Dwaine

Dwaine Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    Small update if any 1 is looking lol
    Got my dellorto 20.5 carberetta today just needs a right good clean to get it looking nice and same goes for these bits just need cleaning up.I think a nice dash of metal polish will bring them up nice tho. .

20141109_163411.jpg
    20141109_163514.jpg 20141106_174527.jpg

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

your best bet with that cracked panel is to plastic weld the broken peice, then i personally would trim it the whole way across so its nice and straight.

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

also you should take that stupid riser thing off the back suspension, it will do more damage than good. if you want to change your trail then drop the forks, dont raise the rear, its bad for handling and also the stand doesnt work properly (im sure you probably know that)

12. Dwaine

Dwaine Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    It has a str8 jack up kit with a I think yssr adjustable shock.and I have been riding it like that since I got the bike so im use to it know lol and hoq can it cause damage??

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The only problem with cutting the back panel in a straight line is you won't be able to re-fit the rear mudguard/number plate panel. It's possible that you could use some ali angle to bring it together, drill the holes and then countersink them so the head for the pop rivet is below the surface and then fill with fibre glass resin.
    And that carb is off a sp runner 125. It's the standard fitment for that bike. And you will probably have to change the manifold as well.
    I personally would run with the 17.5 dellorto until it's run in, then fit that and play with the jetting
    It is easier to fill the panel lines in, and judging by the depth of those gouges you are gonna use 'some' filler, you'll need a few sanding pads as well. Don't use a machine for sanding the filler down to far. It's ok for roughing it down, but for a finish that you wont see the sanding lines through, you need to do it by hand with a selection of pads.
    And where the panel has been sanded right through to the base material, through the white, through the grey, through the blue etc, that will probably need what is called a stopper in the paint trade. You may see a slight reaction at the line of the base self colour material and the first layer of paint, the black.

14. Dwaine

Dwaine Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    Thanks guys yes I only used a powertool onthe surface the rest is hand sanded think thats down to 400..as for the snaped rear panel I was going try remake it with fiberglass then fill the line on the side sanding verry light till nicley matches panel.as for the paint it will going to my uncles shop to painted I think gloss black with a nice shine then thinking if I should get it hrdrogrsphics with white sculls all over.And now back to the carb I will using the 17.5 untill it is run in for 300miles plus as you mentioned it dosent fit my 360manifold any way so need a new of them to
    Thanks

15. Dwaine

Dwaine Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    hi all well been a busy month this one with me fracturing my wrist and elbow and my misses being in hospital and having to have a operation so the bike was put on hold untill things had settled.witch over the last week i have managed to make some small progress on the zip.
    I managed with 1 arm LOL to strip the whole frame apart from the front end take the engine out and get it on the bench.
    20141120_122813.jpg
    20141122_164256.jpg

engine wheel.jpg

so after this pic i took the Variator out then also removed the clutch and bell and belt and also removed the oil pump.

crank casing.jpg

so after that it time for the head to come off along with removing the piston

piston.jpg

witch is kinda black and dirty........

haed.jpg

so after this i started to the bolts of behind the variator to split the engine were the crank is so i replace the crank and bearings and seals.
    But i came stuck with one bolt that did not want to budge and started to round a little so had to give up there.I have tried a fe things to get thi bolt out each with out success so its going to my local garage get it removed. Then also on the Saturday i got a few more bits from pedparts to add to the rest.

10816128_381876771981162_979055185_n.jpg

SOOOO that is were i am at currently so will be doing more when i get that bolt removed,,UNTILL then all thought's/advice welcomed..Thanks

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

thats rotten luck with the bolt, ive never had a crankcase bolt get stuck before

17. Dwaine

Dwaine Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    yes mate it did my head in i tried most things i could to get it with out rounding it off to much but wasn't having any of it.

18. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

6 point sockets, not 12 point

scubabiker likes this.
  19. Dwaine

Dwaine Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip
    all i have is 6 point sockets matey:(