Zip 50 rebuild

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Cree110292, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Hi so some of you may have seen my other thread on this bike but i have spent the day stripping the bike bike to just the forks , front wheel and rear suspension spring all wiring engine panels have been removed as i plan on restoring this bike as i believe its never been looked after in its whole life so will upload so pics later as im cleaning all the grime and grit off everything atm

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Glad your giving that little zip the love it finally needs cree , the best part of rebuild is your in full control and can build it to your like, you colour prefrences and parts you like to fit.

give it a good dry brush down get all that grime off, give it a good wipe over with a damp cloth and then start to look at the frame and its parts , clean them up and check if things need replacing and/or reworking .

the more you dig deeper the more its going to dawn on you , that your giving the little zip a new lease of life and one where it will be cared for :)

3. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Yes mate i have stripped it completely down to just the forks and am rebuilding the engine while i clean and fix other pieces will get there one day

Tamiyacowboy likes this.
  4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    check out steves post biff the boff , thats a rebuild of a old stepthrough motorbike ( honda cub like suzuki ) , rebuilds and restoration takes a while, they can be rushed or they can take a good few months even years, but the end outcome shows.

stick with it buddy one mans wreck becomes another mans pride and joy , and once your done you can show any buyer what exactly went into getting the little scoot back to its former glory to , showing its had plenty of care and been well worked on

5. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Today i spent 3hrs cleaning old 2stroke, grit and god knows what else off the frame, tanks, engine (still together), still lots of cleaning to do but its enough to see the bolts lol need to wait till friday so i can order

* headligh bulb
    * throttle cable
    * double layer sport filter
    * 5x spark plugs
    * 70cc kit
    * rear indicator
    * 50cc - 80cc carburetta
    * black vht paint
    * primer
    * laquer
    * paint for wheels
    * masking tape

Like i said im rebuilding the bike from ground up its so dirty but each piece i put back im cleaning befor it goes back together theres no rush to finish as i want it to be reliable

Cheers tamiyacowboy for all the comments im sure as i start taking the engine apart and putting it back together i'll have many questions if it ok to ask help wen i get to that point in the build would be awesome buddy

6. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Heres some pics from today

Attached Files:

CGC likes this.
  7. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    of course Cree thats why we are here to help fellow scooter owners care for their machines and get them back to a good working order.

motor looks in a good condition wont take much to get that nice and clean looking, rims look a little worn but nothing some rim tape wont hide ;) , rim tape will give you that side on glow effect when car lamps hit them always good to be seen from the side. and saves removing the rubber to get them sprayed or powder coated again ;)

frames looking in great condition no rust and if there is very very little so thats a good one on your side to.

8. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Morning bud

Yeah its a good starting point minimal rust on frame and engine mount the rims will be getting sprayed look abit worse in picture as i started rubbing it down hoping to get the tyres off during the week will take a few weeks to get things sorted building the engine is probably going to be the longest hardest part the box with the wiring in is the to be cleaned box and has everything from wiring loom to airbox to oil tank in it waiting for the time its ready to all go back on thats when each piece will be cleaned befor going back on the bike

9. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

So yesterday an today i spent prepping. The rear wheel is now ready for paint and the engine is 50% cleaner still not enough but its not such a state now
    i need the bike running asap so friday im ordering.....

Paint and tape
    Accelerator cable
    70cc bore kit
    50cc -70cc carb
    Double layer sport air filter
    5x spark plugs

Question is ??

Would this get the bike running correctly i kno will probs need to be jetted but that question will happen at a later date i just need the bike to tun atm so i can get to and from work

Cheers in advance

10. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    dont worry to much on parts, i would get it back together first.

grab a can of easy start, and a mate ...... kickstart scoot or electric start, use the easy start and spray around the area the carb bolts/fits to the engine, if the rpm's increase you have an air leak ( airleaks can bog down a scoot when you give it a good bit of throttle) . next squirt some easy spray into airbox while you give bike some throttle, if it keeps running ok, its more a jetting problem or carb blockage issue.

if we can get the scoot to run without having to replace a lotta parts its gonna be more simple, problem lays with if we add all those new parts and the problem still shows you have spent a arm and a leg for nothing really , see where im coming from, we fix the underlaying problem then you can have the fun part of adding nicer upgrades.

if its already running a 70kit im gonna say its jetting problems, hence the bogging on throttle up

11. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Hi tamiyacowboy

Hows things going ?

I have the bike fully stripped and cleaned frame and i have a massive list of bits to order the engine is now 75% grime free the head on it has seen better days hence why im ordering a new one ...once i have fitted the 70 kit i will put the wheels back on the bike so then will be a rolling chassis and can start actually getting it back together properly im spending this week get everything clean and rubbing down the wheels for paint

Once im at the stage of rebuilding i will take your advice mate with the easy start to see wat happens

Out of intrest as may need to get some if dont have any the shed what size jet should i be looking at the bike will be a 70cc with leo vince zx pipe and sports sponge filter still in original air box

The carb im getting says 50 - 70cc ready but im guessing will need upjetting but i dont know till its built

12. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Heres a few more pics of bits i have been cleaning one wheel is ready the other is just off the bike can you tell the difference lol everything on this bike is so filthy i dont think poor things had a bath its entire life lol

Attached Files:

13. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Todays update I have the wiring loom on and tanks back on now just abit of paint and fix engine hopefully wont be walking anywere soon

14. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    good good Cree keep at it, i bet its goning to look nice and hopefuly go well to once its been given some tender hands treatment

15. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

I hope so mate I have sprayed the wheels and all the parts should be here by Friday have done a subtle little mod with the front indicator do now I just have yo wait for the post man will get some pics after work later on but its finally getting there

16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Wish mine was:(...........................bloody other work getting in the way again:mad:

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  17. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Quick update people waiting on delivery for
    *front disc and bolts
    *70cc kit
    *17.5mm carb
    *sports air sponge

Wheels are finished being painted and started to spray the plastics white slowly getting there just waiting for paint to be dry and parts delivered

18. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Cheeky Sunday shot more to come

Attached Files:

BunnyMum likes this.
  19. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Few pics

Attached Files:

CGC and BunnyMum like this.
  20. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Looking good.:).,

Was gonna work on mine this Sunday,but asked to come into work.:(.