zip 172 project so far

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by zip172mhr, Aug 31, 2013.

1. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    hi everyone this is my zip172 project bought the bike as a 70cc non runner for £100 due to the bottom end more or less melting together and the small end bearing had destroyed the crankcases so for what it would of cost to repair I decided to turn it into a monster . these are the pictures from the start to how it is now . I still have a long list of parts to get but im making progress most important bits to get are

gilera 125 radiator and fan
    gilera 125 rear shock
    gilera 125 headlight relay
    malossi cdi
    172mhr kit
    malossi multivariator
    gear up kit
    upgraded clutch
    25mm carb
    reinforced new mount
    a decent exhaust
    led rearlight and indicators + resistors
    and finaly all the panels sanded fiberglassd filled then painted and stickerd up . then after that's its ready for mot I hope lol. let me kno what you think and il keep adding photos as it comes along everthing I have done myself exept fitting the new crank bearings an full circle crank .

thanks for looking

Attached Files:

2. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    well gonna start sanding and fiber glassing tomorrow hopefully if the weather holds out maybe get first coats of primer on and get it flattend off ready for paint . still unsure of what colour to go for its down as black on the log book and not sure If I can be arsed sending it off to say ive changed it lol . what you rekon should I go for a completely different colour rather than black need something that wont clash with the yellow frame and bright yellow wheels . I was thinking gloss black panels and yellow and black rockstars graphic but dunno lol

3. Alex Barnes

Alex Barnes Active Member

only nice think u got there is that kmx but nice project anyways coming on good

4. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    not mine that them 2 piks at end should be at the start that kmx wa the other bike the lad had who i got the zip from . other bike im using at the min is a race tuned gilera gsm 70 with everfin done to it just looking scruffy at the min cause i use it all the time on road and off road when im bored flipped it twice wheeling lol gona put a dt125 engine in it wen av done zip if i don't sell it anyway will see . sum piks of my gsm r there and sum picks of my old nsr180 what what i miss and im definatly going to get 1 again maybe get my old 1 back if i can lol and then before i got nsr i had a runner70 full malossi what spent silly money on the picture of it rly dirty is wen i first got it .

Attached Files:

5. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    found sum mre piks my nsr tday fort id add them wi rest first pik of it is from first day i got then thers a pick of a dna125 that i got for free it had been stood 8year outside not coverd. apparently the engine was nakerd i changed the spark plug changed the air filter channged the oil and oil filter put a new battery onit and it started more or less first time lol so i got it motd and sold it for 500 then used that to buy my nsr the same day off a m8 bargain lol

Attached Files:

6. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    well got my brand new custom made reinforced mount and heavy duty rubbers today along with my 125 radiator and fan . soon as i get sum free time there getting fitted and i can finish off my plastics . will add more more picks when get my camera back

7. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    does anybody know if the tsab engine mount fits the drumbrake engine i have ? ive looked into it but there isnt mush info

8. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    my engine is the 140mm rear drum engine and doesn't have the mounts for the rear caliper

9. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    coming along nicley now sorry i dont have piks off painting ive done as i didnt have my camera and wanted to get it done lol still alot more picks to come . had problems wanting to paint the wheel couldn't get the disk off as the allen key bolts are rounded off to fuck i don't kno what am gona do . think ill have to get a new front wheel and paint that instead need new front tyre anyway to match the profile of my rear tyre . let me kno wt u think

Attached Files:

10. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t

Attached Files:

11. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    How long do you think you'll keep it before you get fed up with it and sell it due to the vibration due to not fitting the engine properly with the typhoon/runner scissor joint/silent block set up? It doe's look nice for a zip but you should have fitted the right engine mounting while you had it all stripped down. No offence and sorry if this sound's harsh but it's true.

12. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    ive had another mount rewelded for now and heavy duty rubbers applied while i keep it as a 125 but when i eventualy get the 172 kit in the next month or 2 then ill fit the correct mount and paint it while the engine is out again ive just been having trouble trying to source the mount i need keep looking on ebay tho 1 wil come on 1day lol . but with the engine and mount how its is now it only vibrates abit on tick over other than that its spot on

13. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    few picks of front still alot more to come just saving last few hundred up then its spending time lol

Attached Files:

14. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    stripped after almost 2 month of solid use while i get rear panel painted again . flipped it thanks to my throttle sticking on full blast while on the back wheel scared the shat out of me had to drop it onto its left side so i didn't damage ma new pipe on right lol . while it was in bits i decided to just check all the nuts bolts etc again to see if there still nice and tight and they are then gave it another good clean n lube up were it needs it as you do . gonna wait till after crimbo and get all my goodies ordered and fitted to my engine and its a very long long list Ive got wrote up all malossi parts tho except maybe a scorp pipe im not sure yet so not a cheap shopping list lol roll on January hehe wanna have the zip fully tuned engine braking and handling wise with all new sp panels by the start of next summer if we ever have 1 will see . still big plans for this scooter tho but at the min while the roads are getting slippy im running it with the as it is with the standard 125 cylinder ,full circle crank , ntn bearings , malossi reeds, better clutch and lighter rollers , 21mm carb with open filter n technigas exhaust pulls like a train as it is any more power this time of year would be suicidal haha . it starts first click of starter or first kick of kick start every time always use starter motor tho less effort lol bin a great little commuter puts my old 70 to shame don't have to thrash it everywhere can cruise on this at 40-50mph on i tiny bit of throttle and goes up steep hills like there level roads aha . sorry about pik quality guys broke my decent camera back to using my 10 megapixel 1 lmao aiming to get a new 1 in jan sales if i can .

Attached Files:

15. tigger87peds

tigger87peds Member

Rides:
    My Misses,
  16. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    cheers m8

17. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    new led side lights fitted much better than other standard bulbs i had before then some other picks of it that i had on my shit camera that takes the wankest pictures when its dark as you can see lol

Attached Files:

18. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    not 2 long now till scoot is stripped again and rebuilt as the 172 it started out to be lol . want nice weather to come first sick of cleanin it every other day due to all the rain wev had . but the scoot has been used everyday since i built it as a tuned 125 ive rode it in heavy rain aswell and done nearly 700 mile on it since it was first built it still runs as sweet as it did the first day i started it well chuffed :D .

19. Subw00fer

Subw00fer Snqʍ00ɟǝɹ

Rides:
    70cc NRG
    thought of a bar converison? looks good anyway:)

also, can you explain your headlight setup? i'm thinking about doing the same thing on my zip

20. zip172mhr

zip172mhr Member

Rides:
    piaggio zip 183cc 2t
    yea subw00fer i have 2 t10 led sidelights as my side lights then 1 12v halogen bulb on with my sidelights wierd up as my dim setting n both 12v halogen bulbs+sidelights wired as high beam . the halogen bulbs im using arnt road legal they wont pass an mot as the don't project the right beam pattern . im planning on buying complete sp panel set for it then buying a universal light that is road legal with both high and low beam off ebay then fit it to the front panel instead of having 2 halogen ones .

few picks off damage i did when i flipped it loooooooooooool .. then how it looks at the min till i prob tear it to pieces to build the nrg183 insted hehe

Attached Files: