Your reasons for owning a scooter?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by tErr0, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Same here, Scootz. My scoot is going to be my weekend toy and local runabout when it's finished, with the occasional run into work.

2. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    ive been really tempted to buy a speedfight 100 and put the engine into my jog to make a sleeper but have resisted so far.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/Vespa Et2.
    Obviously,you have'nt got mt doctor,creak.;).:D.

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/Vespa Et2.
    Starting ,small,cheap,sensible?,for my 1st brand new bike/ped -
    got this almost irresisstable urge,to get a new Pulse Scout for some reason.o_O.

5. scudybeef

scudybeef Madness,whats that all about eh?

Rides:
    chinese scooter
    I bought mine purely for financial reasons at first,owned a car all my life(im 45),but couldn't justify the cost of it just sitting outside my house rusting away,,with the cost of petrol,insurance,tax,mot,maintanence,it was becoming more expensive than a taxi for the amount of time i actually used it.

As soon as mot time came up,i made the decision to get rid of the car,figuring i would just walk or get lifts if needed,but my mates gf has a new chinese scoot and when she mentioned the cost,i figured i could justify having one,as it sits indoors in my hallway,is cheap to buy,cheap to run,cheap to fix,,,and best of all,if i cant afford the insurance or mot for any reason,i can declare it off road as its in my house,until i can afford whatever would be needed.

Wish i'd got one sooner now,great a to b machines,i wont be touring on it or anything,but for local stuff,it's brilliant.

jonway madness 125cc,64 plate.

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/Vespa Et2.
    Figured another reason why i ride a scooter now -
    believe there's no way in h.ll a geared bike could hack it in traffic,like a scooter can.:).

7. King_L

King_L New Member

I ride because i cant afford a car yet :]

scubabiker and torpedo01 like this.
  8. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

There are lots of road barriers near where I work blocking cars forcing them to take a long route around, scooters and motorbikes can pass through the bike path so that's why I ride a scooter. Can't beat the fuel economy either and its fun!!! Would like to upgrade to a geared bike soon but it looks complicated. I like the simplicity of twist and go but the fuel tank on scooters is small 4L on my scooter compared to 18L on the bike im interested in...I feel like I'm forever in a petrol station.

9. Rockin'EZ

Rockin'EZ Active Member

Rides:
    '08 GY6 150cc
    Pretty much why I bought my first Yamaha Twin Jet 100 in 1969. It got me all around Amarillo Tx until the temp dropped below zero.... Great reason to have a scoot.

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

my BMW (bike) has a 40 odd liter tank!

11. King_L

King_L New Member

Its really weird tho because now ive been ridig for a month ive stopped looking at cars and begun looking at r125's .

scootinon likes this.
  12. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

I bet that won't be fun picking it up if it ever ends up on its side!

scubabiker likes this.
  13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

low CoG so isnt too bad, dropped it once already.

14. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/Vespa Et2.
    Play in traffic with one.:).:) -

Nuff said.;).

15. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    try picking up a triumph tiger 800 with full fuel tank, panniers and topbox with a tankbag and some other camping gear strapped to it... not easy!

16. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    got mine so I don't get wet feet on the way to work, traffic makes a car a nightmare, a scooter is easy to keep clean compared to a bike ,all it needs a wipe over were as a bike has all them hard to reach bits
    and no gear changing bliss hand guards.jpg

17. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Dirt gets to those hard to reach bits too. Motorbikes have easy access to everything, scooters are covered with panels that you need to need to remove and that adds a lot of costs when taking it for a service as more than half the time servicing a scooter involves removing the panels.

Cleaning dirt and grime build up over the airbox and tubes ect where the wheels kick it all in is very hard.

18. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
    I've chosen a scooter because I am now 58 and my fitness level ain't too good - my legs stiffen up and I get cramp on a bike after an hour or so - the upright riding position on the scooter suits me just fine and my current scooter can accommodate a full face helmet under the seat - ideally I would like to own the 750cc Honda integra however at present I cannot afford one - my recently acquired Sym citycom 300i will have to do - I'm never content with what I've got which is a bad trait to have

19. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/Vespa Et2.
    I ride one,cause they're practical and make sense in getting about in a user friendly way.
    Would advise/mind,that you try one on for size and how you get on with it,an don't just buy any old thing,less it's down to economics or it's a deal that would'nt make sense to pass up.;).mk.

hairyjim likes this.
  20. Bawdy

Bawdy New Member

I bought one because I love being on two wheels and wasn't using my bike as it was impractical for city use, which is where I unfortunately need to use it for 80% of the time, in a no money world I'd still have a big bike and a smaller scooter, but reality dictates my MaxSYM 600i does everything I need it to, and well.
    13174160_10208098909142791_4651775542499613749_n.jpg