Your reasons for owning a scooter?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by tErr0, Dec 4, 2006.

1. bobrob71

bobrob71 New Member

had a classic bike for 20 years but getting a bit hard to start still like to ride on 2 wheels so thought i wood try a scooter bought a honda dylan love it to bits think i must be the oldest scooter rider on the forum

2. GeorgeMorriss

GeorgeMorriss Member

always been into motorbikes since a young age but my mum never allowed it, so once i found out i could ride a moped at 16 that was all i wanted to do just to rebel against her. finally got one at 17 started off on a zip 50 2010 plate bought for £200 (bargain ;)) had that for a while and did some mods to it. had a crash on it and wrote it off cat b, got enough money from the claim and got myself a typhoon 125 xr for 750. i should have waited really and bought one abit better condition but none the less i bought a 125. TBH guys i bought a ped because they are stupidly fast and stupidly easy to wheelie. a whole bunch of my mates have them and we just ride around all the time for the fact that we can. cheap insurance, cheap petrol, dont get people asking you for lifts like you do with a car, cant get a car on the back wheel either. im not saying i hate cars, im definitely going to get one, but ped is the way forward for youngsters and thrill seekers alike. all im saying is wait until scooter sunday at ace cafe, shit is going to be going off. ;)

3. A-LY

A-LY Active Member

Because i cant even insure a toaster, so i went for something slower

ginge and Mark Emerson Trentham like this.
  4. TyphJosh

TyphJosh Piaggio Typhoon 08 Plate (old Shape)

Rides:
    Piaggio typhoon
    Scooter sunday this year is going to be popping!!!

5. Rockin'EZ

Rockin'EZ Active Member

Rides:
    '08 GY6 150cc
    Why do I ride a scooter? It makes me happy.

MrXT and Mark Emerson Trentham like this.
  6. jayvinci

jayvinci Member

So much fun to ride. And the fact you can make them so fast for what they are

Rockin'EZ likes this.
  7. bogey

bogey Active Member

Always had geared Italian scooters and othe low cc bikes never had a twist and go before and fancied a bit of a project.

8. ginge

ginge Active Member

Knowing you can take a ride out then just see a country lane turn round go down it see what speeds you can get then see where you end up without having to worry that its cost a bomb in fuel :)

9. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    got fed up walking and its my rite to ride.first bike i ever rode on was when i was 2.luggage rack on a Norton 850.ide love a dominator,interseptor or interstate.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  10. Jenksy

Jenksy Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Titan
    I was finding cycling up the hills on the way home from work becoming harder and harder ( been doing it since I was 16 and I'm 52 now). My car is for home not work (unless its raining) and to be honest it's quicker to cycle the 5 miles home in the evening. So I thought a scooter would do the trick. Done a bit of research. Cheap as chips chinese, price looks good but the reviews and bits put me off. Looked at Japanese and Italian ( a lot of those appear to be made in china as well). O.k pricey parts etc. looked at sym and kymco as hopefully a happy medium. Went for the sym symply 2, 50cc derestricted so able to happily do 40mph where permitted. 8 months of riding in dry weather and 1500km on the clock, bloody good fun. Use it for short trips at the weekend. Main dealer charged £72 for 300km oil change! So now I do my own servicing. Like being a boy again!

11. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    syms seam to be a lot more reliable than most chink stuff.if you replace bits as they fail with decent quality bits you won't have too much grief.£72 for a service is a bit much.nothing like doing it yourself.

12. philip allard

philip allard New Member

Rides:
    peugot speedfight 3
    iv got one because im 16 so cant ride anything else and I work 9 miles away down a busy 50mph road so cycling every rush houras isn't exactly safe

13. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I bought one for my son two years ago and I've 'inherited' it back, so I am renovating the engine and tuning it up at the same time. It will save me money in the warmer weather and can cut through traffic a lot easier than a car.

Oh it's for shits and giggles too, as mine will have a 'sleeper' retro, toned-down look when it's finished, but will go like stink.

14. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    At the 'mo,it's giving me a fighting spirit.i'd thought i'd lost years ago.;) -
    feel like Winston Churchill,on 2 wheels/me.:).

Merlin likes this.
  15. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
    Because I'm an old fart of 57 years and I can't get the leg over a bike no more - and hey - the scoot is mighty good fun - just hope the old girl doesn't break down on me !

16. ziggy_tph125

ziggy_tph125 SONIC BOOOOM!!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typoon 125,
    I own a scooter because I had 1 at 17 (safera 80) and loved it, iv had bikes ever since, I use my car for carting the wife and daughter about and the tph comes out to get me to work and for fun on weekends, I love learning how to do mods and get a kick out of sucsessfully doing it correctly myself, so far all has gone well and this forum has helped, big thanks to all the members keeping me on the road and best advice for parts and information, much luv...... peace!

17. Scouser

Scouser Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR125
    Got one because I love two strokes and love the way scooters look both modern and classic. The fact I am saving about £1000 per year by not running the car also helps!!

18. jonscoot73

jonscoot73 New Member

Rides:
    sym symply 50
    Because life without a Scoot is like living without oxygen....:)

19. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I have a project involving a 2007 Peugeot TKR that is going to capture exactly the thoughts you expressed there - stay tuned, as I am ordering a lot of parts to finish this project in the next week or so, with a view to having it finished by the end of September.

I like that thought!

"Scooters - because you can always get a leg over!" :p

20. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    I now own one purely because I can...
    don't particularly need one...
    its just there because its so stupidly cheap to run around on, itd be stupid not to have it.
    to run to asda and back in the car it costs £8 in fuel.
    to run to asda and back on the bigger bike = triumph tiger 800 costs £5 in fuel.
    to run to asda and back on the ancient Yamaha jog. not even £2 including the cost of 2 stroke oil.

saves me a ton of time just getting it out of the front room and out onto street vs getting the bike out of back garden, down back passage and to front of house etc..

scooters are fun, considering getting a brand new one.... again. just because I can.