Your reasons for owning a scooter?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by tErr0, Dec 4, 2006.

1. 2many2strokes

2many2strokes suck squeeze bang blow thats the way i like to go!

Rides:
    zzr1400
    dam thats a taking the piss! i insure the bike with ebike, there the cheapest i could find. The dirt bike is 38 years old so its a classic policy and 4 years ncd helped alot.

2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Worked off an 11yr. tag for a dr10+4yrs partying ( :) ).by not riding!!!,no need to declare./expired.
    Did'nt declare no claims as none since 1987,live at a 4 way junction a13-east/end,and occasionally boy racers crash their cars into the side of the house cple times a year.(does'nt even wake me up now :) .,but agree with you could be cheaper!.

3. Snake_Plissken

Snake_Plissken New Member

I decided to get one cause i had a job i had to travel to and riding one would save money on gas and i could drive around the traffic in it. Now i work close but still ride cause it's fun. It's better than riding a Jap bike that everyone crashes and die on or a Harley looking like you need a bath.

Gizmo likes this.
  4. essexgazza

essexgazza New Member

I decided to get one because my daughter ran into transport problems at uni and needed a car. So I loaned her mine and bought a scooter to get to and from work. Best thing I ever did. So much fun !!!!

5. huff_diggler

huff_diggler I'm ya daddy....

Rides:
    Z550 Dr600 Cz250
    Bit of fun, I got a full bike licence, my z is fun, on twisty winding roads. My melody is a whole lotta fun in the town and streets of clacton. :D

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Decided to get mine because i wanted something practical/sensible to broaden the area i usually knock about in.
    Did'nt realise how much it recaptured the feeling i first had when i 1st got otr.,kinda turned into something else in
    a way,then just a cheap simple form of transport. :) .

7. kernow9988

kernow9988 New Member

my reasons.. because its as cheap as chips.. and fun.

haven't been riding long, just under a year, £16 tax, £60 insurance (TPO), a tenner to fill her up, that will go about 140 miles, whats there not to like.

But the main reason, just to make things a hell of a lot easier, was unemployed at the time, got fed up of relying on buses etc, and living semi rurally it took forever to do anything, anyone that lives rurally knows how much you need to plan even the simplest of things, nipping to the shops can take 3 or 4 hours, even though its not that far, so got myself a little scooter with the megre savings I had left, could have gone for a car, but the costs are becoming stupidly expensive now.

Got a nice little Yamaha Cygnus, although its a little tatty, had a couple of minor offs in the early days which have left both sides scuffed up, but its only cosmetic, nothing a tin of rattle paint wont cover up, when I get around to it, plus its left outside in all weathers.

8. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Pukka post,keeping it real!,
    Could'nt have said it better myself. :) .

9. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Kinda miffed at the ins.quote mind,live central london;
    (full clean licence/50cc/©30yr older),£257.00/3rd party! :-( / :) .
    My ins. was ©£98.00 tpft (100cc)-rural when 18.

10. james04k

james04k New Member

Only one reason cause we can't afford other vehicle and scooter is inexpensive that's we move to scooter but some people also prefer cause it have fantastic style.

11. speedy-demon

speedy-demon ■□■□■□■□■□■□

Rides:
    Like a pro
    cheap transport and i love the scooter tuning scene iv rode big bikes owned various motorcross bikes but nothing beats cruising round on a tuned up scooter you built yourself, cant wait to have my scooter finished so i can compete on dyno days.

12. BADGER

BADGER Member

Started with bikes 27 years ago and at that point would rather have died than ridden a scooter ! 27 years later my lad wanted a 50cc bike which was hard to get at a cheap price so we went for a scooter. 27 years later my thoughts have changed. Having worked as a HGV driver for a long time and a dispatch rider for a short time I've now come to appreciate working vehicles made to do a job (and do it cheaply rather than just look nice and cost a fortune, having brought a scoot/Ped for my lad I really appreciate how good they are at cheap local transport added to that I can carry stuff under the seat rather than shoving it up my Jacket as on the bikes.

13. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    27 years ago was riding old mans z500,never really saw much if at all of scooters early on.
    1st experience riding one late 80's not good that an growing up with mods/rockers mentality.
    Long history mostly on plot (city/london+100)-(push+p..s off outo the way :) )
    Love my scoot as never bought anything before that's so satisfied a need.
    P.s. ima rucksack proponent,found they suit biking brilliant-if you load up weightwise
    occasionally get one with waiststraps/saves on backstrain!

speedy-demon likes this.
  14. huff_diggler

huff_diggler I'm ya daddy....

Rides:
    Z550 Dr600 Cz250
    Well put, I used to look at folk on scooters and think fcuk that, and roar past in my car, having recently acquired my big bike licence, it was a 40th birthday prezzie from the missus, I'm enjoying trying different scooters and bikes, love little 50cc scooters, pence to buy and pence to run, and give me a massive grin.:D and I'm 6ft 4

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  15. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Massive grin....mondo f.....g understatement in my sitch ©5/9-160lbs,
    with power to weight ratio + pokey little 2t motor,you'd literally have to
    prise my butt off with a crowbar on occasion!. :) .

huff_diggler likes this.
  16. DJ-Deividuska

DJ-Deividuska New Member

I got a ped because my dad bought one for work and i wanted to start something different so i got me self a first ped as a non runner (spares repair) all it needed was respray and some work like new rollers air filter and new immobilizer wire since then i brought more peds and was fixing them untill i found out tuning and started off pretty shit but now im pretty good (i think haha) now i have my own garage and tools i fix peds and tune them abit and sell them on i own my self a gilera runner 70cc all the spec is in my profile at the moment engine is out for a rebuild because i wanted to do more work on cases flowing, matching cases to bore and porting getting cases welded because f you low them the cases get pretty thin and sometimes holes appear like happened to me haha also i have to rplace my bearings because they seem to have play in them even they only done about 200 miles (since last rebuild) i had stage 6 c4 teflon cage bearings and now i know that not to get them as they no good. bit gone out of topic haha

17. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Loving the post!.,good read!

DJ-Deividuska likes this.
  18. Newbird

Newbird New Member

I love scooters since I was a child and I had a dream to buy one. I love its simplicity.

19. LiamB

LiamB Never trust a Husky

Rides:
    Speedfight 2
    Husqvarna broke and I still needed a run about until I can drive and before my break from biking till 19. (So I can skip 125s and drive)
    Bought my Speedfight yesterday :D

20. Cockers

Cockers I hate speedfights

I could not beat the degenerate chavers in newcastle tearing up the streets and drinking bella brusco on the back tracks so i joined them and got one, no I joke! The public transport was always late full of screggs and stinking of piss! so got my cbt then a little way along the line a speedfight! yes!