Yes another jetting issue. Tnt 19mm carb need desperate help

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by Thatcharliebre, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

Before you say read up about jetting. I have a thousand times but i need help with my bike. So, i have a tnt 19mm carb. Yes i have been told they are ****. Has a malossi air filter. Got it jetted by mechanic he said its best with 88 jet. It bogs when you open throttle fast. So i dropped the needle and it almost fixed the problem. The bike isnt that fast and doesnt lift (despite the good spec which i will mention later). I put a 92 jet in and literally no bog. Runs nice. But still only hitting 55ish. Put a 95 jet in and it runs nice but hesitates after a while when the engine is hot. Im thinking of putting my old 17.5 carb on with airbox. Would this be better?

Rough spec of bike
    Typhoon engine. Malossi sport 70. Pm360. Tnt19mm carb with malossi air filter(as mentioned). Full malossi transmission with white spring and 6g rollers (seems to rev too much with 5.5).
    Also would a worn belt and/or soft clutch springs have a big affect on speed. Why the f is my bike so slow. Standard de restricted 50s can go this fast ffs!

2. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

Also i been told to put a bigger jet in. Despite it running better with 92 than 95 :confused:

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    rollers aint right.. jet is STOOOOPIDLY big.. worn belt kills top end. too heavy rollers kill accell... too big a jet does both.. drop it to an 80 ish jet (i run an 86 on an open filter in a 21mm carb) drop the needle down, drop the roller weight. go from there

golden rule, mechanics are NOT tunners... dont listen to a word they say, especially when they DOUBLE the stock jet size in the bike...

or put the stock carb/filter back on and stop playing with things you REALLY dont understand.. read up a little, sort your setup one part at a time.. go from there.. or pay a TUNER to set it up for ya :)

4. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

Thanks. Ran shizzle with stok carb and box feels like a 4 stroke takes ages to kick in. Got a 90 jet at the moment il try 85 mate. Also ive been messing with clutch springs and the bike lifts a lott nicer but only with 7g rollers :confused:

5. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

Also how comes many 70s run fine with 100 jet

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    as there over rollered/over jetted... its common for people to run there bikes silly rich to counter transmission issues they dont understand. seen many a typh with a 100+ jet in the stock carb... dont mean its right. drop the roller weight.. the "bogging" is probably transmisison stall... feels alot like its running out of fuel/sparks stopping at full throttle? not revving? then its nothing to do with the carb, its rollers 90% of the time.

7. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

Hmm yh fair enough. With standard clucth my bike ran nicest with 5.5 but revved alot. Now i got 50% increase om clutch springs and +1500 contra it runs nice with 7g and that seems heavy. Whats your input?

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    use the stock contra... sus out the rollers... then beef up the contra spring and see how it affects everything. the heavy rollers/harsh contra are just working against eachother.. exactly what you want if the belts slipping, but it really isnt.. so drop the contra back to stock and i bet the revs rise/top speed increases.. aim for almost full revs (change rollers) but the quickest accelerating you can get it without the revs really dropping off..

so ye, stock contra, watch the revs shoot up.. if the bike feels like its reving more than its moving go up a lil on the weight and vice versa.. then sus the jetting as per the guide :)

9. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

What do u mean by sus haha and i was thinking of putinn the +1000 spring on and going lower on the rollers Standard contra is way too soft man and people keep sayin have medium springs. I remember with standard clutch and 5.5 it was decent would lift if held brake n stuff but still felt like revvin like a biatch

10. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

Also green polini springs 35% felt shizzle the yellow 50% ones are in at the moment
    Feel quite nice

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    std contra is way too soft for what? lol remember, the stiffer you go on the clutch springs the more likely it is to slip up top, especially with a heavy contra/heavy rollers.. so much going to waste, want as soft a spring and as light a set of rollers as you can get without the belt slipping. never had problem with stock contra springs in tuned bikes..

3 clutch springs are simply the takeoff rpm (spo the revs the bike sits at from 0 to 10mph) if there too harsh your sitting on the clutch too long/wasting the transmission's natural flexibility gearing wise.. its not a minimoto. literally need the clutch to slip untill 10ish at the right rpm then lock up nice/rollers take over...

take a few steps back, stock clutch completly.. deal with the lazy spot to 10mph.. whatever the bike does after this WILL be rollers.. can then set the jetting up, wind the clutch up a lil (3 springs) to get the takeoff rpm just right, then if your not getting full drive without the revs completly dropping off/belt slipping with any rollers try going up a LITTLE on the contra... does honestly sound like the rollers/contra are way too much for the power the engine is producing. this WILL kill top end... your basicly adding resistance to the transmission (stealing engine power) for no reason other than having a part installed you probably dont need :)

stock contra, set the rollers.... do what you like with the 3 small springs while you do this. just another complication tho.

12. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

Yeh im convinced the clutch springs are fine. I put 88 jet in and raised needle as when its droppd (leaner) it chokes for a sec, the bikes running slightly rich on quarter throtttle but to be honest i dont mind. And i understand what u are saying but at the same time the bike is lifitng a lottt nicer with the stronger spring but ima put in a softer one and lighter rollers but when rollers too light the bike sounds like itl blow up dudee

13. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

14. chriscam13

chriscam13 Member

Good advice here, stop messing with the carb and do what this man says! Your sort it a lot quicker!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

15. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

Ok i put in a softer contra and 6.5 rollers (.5 lighter) and the revs drop and are a bit jumpy at full revs. Kinda feels like carb but i know its not. Ima try even lighter rollers but can honsetly say it felt better with the stronger contra

16. chriscam13

chriscam13 Member

The roller weights sound wayy to heavy to me tbh

17. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

Same i used to run 5.5s but with the stronger springs i cant

18. chriscam13

chriscam13 Member

What about going to the softer spring and 5.5's or even 5's?

19. creamsodauk

creamsodauk Ped Ped!!

Rides:
    Runner 125 SP
    clutch springs should only be an issue for the first few seconds of take off

So any roller can be used with any spring choice as such as neither will effect the other.

right start with the basics, take the contra spring out and fit the stock

you say you like the yellow spprings, leave them in it will jest rev much higher on take off, remeber revving dosent equal power. to get power you need to find your bikes sweet spot in the rev range and aim to get the clutch springs and variator to stick too this!

rollers wise i cant help as i have never run a 70 but go with what others run as a base guide, you will know how they perform by driving it, if after 5 seconds of take off the bikes revs sound low at full throttle then go lighter

if after take off (5-7) seconds should see you well onto the variator) it revs too high but dosent pull go heavier

Also check belt thickness against how wide it should be

jetting wise if you have a jet it runs on and dosent bog stick too it for now while you sort the above out

20. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

Thankss mate and i hear people running 4.5 g rollers which is stupid light 5.5s are nice on take of then just rev out. Also someone tried nick my bike with the lock on te back wheel. I cant move my bike now it seems the clutch is stuck engaged. Cant start bike without revving or it wil cut out