yammy neos 100 smoking and tapping

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by nottznutter09, Jan 18, 2010.

1. nottznutter09

nottznutter09 New Member

Rides:
    anything once
    hiya folks

has ive already mentioned ive got a neos 100 on a 02 plate which i bought of a guy who had left it for a few months under a tree resting up against a newly built shed. it was in a real bad state there were splash marks of creosolt all over the bike fairings (plastics) wheels,headlights,seat etc. the forks were knackered with rust pitted stanchions snapped studs seized brake calipers etc. the exhaust was looking in a bad way with a badley dented silencer etc. the tranny case had pitted paint flaking off and allsorts its was in a real bad state. anyways i paid the guy and dragged its sorry ass 100 yrds or so up the street to a mates house. tried kicking it up to no avail so i stripped it down and cleaned out the jets and carb and gave it a new plug and it fired. and thats when the problem started...

when i first fired it up it smoked its back off but i assumed it was just burning off 2 stroke that had creeped in and it was burning the crappy petrol off so i wasnt so worried. i pushed it down home and started to remove the exhaust when the exhaust stud snapped off on the barrel . so i took the bike apart and removed the barrel to have stud drilled and replaced.
    having that done i replaced the barrel and fired it back up to discover there was a knocking/tapping noise and it was still smoking heavily

so i wanted to ask you guys is the smoking and tapping noise due to a a worn piston and rings ie piston slap and is this causing it to smoke

thanks in advance for any help you guys can give its much apretiated

2. nottznutter09

nottznutter09 New Member

Rides:
    anything once
    c mon guys one of you scoot boffins must be able to tell me something

3. neosman

neosman Member

the knocking could just be just a loose part in the transmission. Thats what happened on my neos, the crankshaft splines are not up to much..
    If not, the I would suspect the crankshaft.

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    piston slap is more of a loud "TICK" sound.... a big end (crank basicly) is a nocking noise...could be smoking for a number of reasons, if the bieks been sat then ditch the oil/fuel and check the oil seals/reeds/gasgets/vac pipes...

5. nottznutter09

nottznutter09 New Member

Rides:
    anything once
    it is more a loud ticking noise. i removed the tranny cover lastweek just to check everything was tight and secure and everything seemed ok. . i kicked the bike up this morning and it fired second kick (battery needs replacing so elec start doesnt work) like it usauly does and let it warm up and ticking over. i let it have five mins then i whacked open the throttle with no choke and it just poured out a bluey white smoke and a lot of black gunk all over the floor from theend of the exhaust pipe. the noise didnt get any louder with the throttle open and it didnt get louder when i let the throttle off.

im not making out i know anything about whats wrong with the bike or i wouldnt be here asking for advice but am i right in thinking that if it was a bearing or sumat of that sorts that the noise would be louder on deceleration

6. nottznutter09

nottznutter09 New Member

Rides:
    anything once
    ive stopped the smoking or so i think. basically i cleaned down were the 2 stroke cable sits on the pump mechanism . it was clogged with mud and stuff and wasnt returning back to its original seating position which caused it to be letting threw more oil then needed. has far has the tapping goes ive ordered a new piston and a set of rings along with a small end bearing and a new top end gasket set. il get it all fitted and see if that gets rid of the lil noise.

7. luckatme

luckatme New Member

Rides:
    yam neos 100
    hiya mate sorry to jump in but what are you planning on doing with this bike??
    only reason i ask is coz im in process of doing mine up to like a one off neos just wandered if you were doin owt special we could compare notes ;)

8. nottznutter09

nottznutter09 New Member

Rides:
    anything once
    im not realy planning on doing a great deal apart from getting it up too scratch at the mo. i keep toying with the idea of stripping it down to its bare minimum and turning it into a highly tuned streetracer/fighter

the thing thats putting me off is the fact its a 100 and not a 50. tuning parts arnt that good to get a hold off

liking the look of this tho

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. nottznutter09

nottznutter09 New Member

Rides:
    anything once

im assuming the noise is that then, im guessing the ticking would get quicker when you open the revs ?

if it were the crank bearings would the bike still run smoothly threw the revs and perform like normal ?

10. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    If the bikes been sitting around for years like you said then the first thing I would do is flush and clean everything!

Drain the old petrol and oil, flush the tanks, pipes, change fuel filter, clean fuel/oil taps, clean the carb, manifold and reeds. Then fill her up with fresh 2 stroke and fresh petrol, might have to bleed the oil pump. Fresh spark plug!

Then run the damn thing for a while, take it for a long ride get her properly warmed up, take it to full throttle and back.

If the problem is still around then look into replacing the topend, might aswell do the whole lot if its smokey and tappy.

11. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    If it were the crank I would think the bike will vibrate quite abit when revving. Wouldnt sound right either.

12. nottznutter09

nottznutter09 New Member

Rides:
    anything once

iv already done everything you suggested and it now doesnt smoke and ive already started looking for a new top end kit. thanks for the info tho :thumbsup:

13. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    it will smoke until you take it out for a run. no matter how much you run it its no good unless you go for a spin.

14. cheap vespa

cheap vespa New Member

yip,it will be caked with oily gunk inside the exhaust,a good long run will cure this.

Will smoke like a committee man on free fags for a while then eventually get weaker and stop.

Paul