Yamaha neos

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by saemh, Mar 3, 2012.

1. saemh

saemh Member

Hi there Y'all!

i recently picked up my neos from a mate's dad cheap all it was is a blocked carb!

after getting it ive noticed this...
    no keys in ignition, hit starter button its starts to start but wont start? its basicaly trying to crank over but wont because there is no key in ignition... very weird i know any ideas?

also when i turn the ignition on the bikes lights dont turn on, only turns on once bike is started

when the throttle is on 1/4 it flys from 0-35 and builds to 40! but if i pull the throttle under 1/2 way it pulls a bit more faster to 40... which should be all FINE? but if i throttle any where after 1/2 half or full throttle it still sticks to 40 but all it does is rev like mad!!!! is this normal, all ive done so far is de- restrict it

ive seen so many youtube videos and threads on neos front panels to aerox style anyone have any links or how to modify front panels? like cut the holes perfectly and smooth it etc? some basics? as i would like to make my front panel something like this
    http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...2&tbnw=163&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

all help will be appreciated!
    cheers

2. Stathis

Stathis Black Nrg Power 70cc Beast!

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    Hi there friend.

So why dont you have keys??? maybe get a new ignition with some new keys????
    When you turn the ignition on the lights wont turn on because its a 2stroke...that happens only on a 4stroke.. if you turn the scoot on and its running then you will see the lights that will come on ;)
    About the throttle it should be the rollers that might need some sorting out or maybe a belt aswell. :)

Hope i helped :)

3. saemh

saemh Member

Thanks for the reply,
    I do have the keys, was just wondering why the starter button works when there's no key in ignition but it won't start the engine....

My indicators seem to work once the ignition is on but nothing else.

I'm pretty sure it could be rollers? When I go from traffic lights it is a tiny bit sluggish....
    Has 6.5g in there ATM will be getting Leo vice trtexhaust soon and will change rollers
    My bikes only done 900 miles belt is still in new condition ha.

Can anyone recommended any decent but cheap impact gun that will remove the variator nut quicker so I can test different rollers and not use a spanner... Do I also need a variator. Lock tool or something?

Cheers

4. Stathis

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    no problem :)
    yeah the indicators always work when you turn the ignition on but nothing else, as it sounds yeah the problem is the rollers for sure.
    also you dont need an impact gun to remove variator ect ect but if you have some extra money laying around you should go for one... if you dont you should make something like a homemade tool that locks the variator and then you can unscrew the bolts easily ;)

cheers mate!

5. saemh

saemh Member

thanks for that

and could you recommened or explain more to a homemade tool? i would like to save the money towards a variator kit for my neos!

dont you hold the variator still basicly? then unscrew the nut if im right? hence the tool for the variator?

also i received my leo Vince tt exhaust today, came with 4.3g rollers and stiffer clutch springs, so would like to fit rollers and springs! are the clutch springs hard to change? well that bit is easy i guess but how do you get to the clutch? remove the bell and is that it?

im sure exhaust i can fit easily doesnt look hard at all. just need to get rollers on aswell or might be slugish? but i guess might be best to try the exhaust with my 6.5g rollers in there? or better with 4.3g?

thanks

6. Stathis

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    yeah basically u have to hold the variator or the clutch bell depends on what you want off still... then unscrew the bolts its easy :) about the clutch springs.. tbh i have never changed ones myself but shouldnt be hard ;) and yeah you remove the bell and its all behind there :)

7. saemh

saemh Member

thanks mate! i will be doing it this sunday hopefully!
    fit exhaust and rollers! and upjet by 10%

cheers!

8. Stathis

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    good luck mate :)

9. saemh

saemh Member

cheers, also had a question to ask....

going to change the variator before i grab the 70 kit! which one do you recommened? i believe it is the exact same one as a aerox!

also at the moment my bike hits 40 top end on a long road and 35mph really quickly.. if i put the leo vince tt on should hit 45-50 roughly? im hoping... if i put a bigger carb will that increase speed or? and does a cone air filter increase speed or just the sound of the bike?

ive been told variator makes a big difference to and fast acceleration? maybe for me its better to do variator first the 70 kit next pay day then a bigger carb next next pay day ahaha?

cheers.

10. Stathis

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    i suggest you should first get the 70kit then get the parts compatible with it... just an opinion... about variator i use Malossi Multivar 2000 its a very good one... and yes produces some power. :)

11. saemh

saemh Member

cheers, :)
    i shall get my exhaust on firstly! this sunday cant wait ha! then order 70 kit! and then see the difference :) and slowly change other parts!

would i notice a huge difference from my mpg? at the moment its 100 miles to a tank.... on a 60 jet... i believe with a exhaust and 70 kit and aftermarket airfilter itll be around 25% jet? so itd rise to 75-76
    would that increase fuel consumption a lot? i will still be doing my normal speeds most times 30-40 so should be lower revs now.... but obviously i will have my fun for full throttle :D

12. Stathis

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    actually it will drink a lot of fuel... but that depends on your setup.. about the jets i dont really know that exactly sorry :p and it will be less miles a tank thats for sure, because more fuel means more power!

13. saemh

saemh Member

darn well everyone ive asked seems to say that... so i think i will go mauddd! and do as much as i can for accerleration and the fun out of it! you only live one :D !
    compared to a car in the end my ped is better! espcially insurance hahah

cant wait! exhaust on tomorrow! im 100% sure i will mess up on jetting up as ive never taken a carb off haha!
    70 kit then air filter then variator then bigger carb :D
    cant wait haha any one know the standard size carb in my neos?

also any tips for when i change the jet? any simple ways of testing the jets, if its the right jet size or etc ? i was thinking exhaust 10% standard size 60 so i will put a 66 in and just fit it all back and start her up and go for a spin??? or any tips? incase i did need a larger jet of something?

cheers

14. Stathis

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    hahahah i always say that! haha :p well about the jetting you should do tests... untill you find the right size jet your scooter needs.

15. saemh

saemh Member

Ah cheers
    Well I took my carb off!
    I then checked the jet? It has a 72 in there already??? I'm sure it's 60 standard.... I then took the spark plug out and it was dark and black and dirty
    Done 300 miles on it from when I got the Neos
    Then I left the 72 jet
    Fitted the exhaust cleaned the spark plug

Top speed 32.
    0-20 is extremely slow
    20-32 flys fast!!!
    Has 6.5g rollers I love this exhaust and speed really fast!!!

I will be changing rollers to 4.3g this afternoon

The exhaust is still restricted!
    My top speed with old exhaust was 40!!!

Should I change the jet to a 66 or leave the 72?
    Or leave it at 72 and fit a air filter in??

Also I drove the bike 3 miles and has gone dark brown burnt colour from the cylinder head

I also can feel a lot of air around the cylinder head is that normal?

All help seriously appreciated as I really do need it now ha!!

Also Main issue when by bike is cold it starts straight away? Normally I need choke on? When itrystartig with choke it won't? When bikes on and I then choke on it cuts out?

Cheers sorry for so many questions but would e great if I could get answers cheers.....

16. saemh

saemh Member

Ok crap. Had a quick google search
    Standard jet on the Neos is 72.... I was confused as old owner wouldn't of changed the jets and it was all standard when I got it

So if I jet it to 78 would that work? I will be fitting it this afternoon. Aswell hopefully that will improve top speed!!!
    Really do need it to hit 40 as I will need it for work tomorrow haha!

Cheers! I won't be fitting a air filter in that fact i need to get a good mpg in the end hahah!

17. saemh

saemh Member

Ok so the bike was boggin so Got the Neos up jetted this morning to a 78!
    Doesn't big and always accelerates

Top speed is 52 on a flat long road!
    Acceleration is amazing!
    But when I hit 52 and stop or slow down and pull throttle it takes long to build up so in guessing I need a bigger jet maybe 80? Or 82

My exhaust is blowing around the cylinder head you can feel a lot of air so I guess I need to refit it again and properly this time ha! Will be doing that this Friday!

Any other tips guys? Thinking about just getting a variator ? As 70 kit might be to powerful for me ahhaah! Might help with more acceleration

Rollers are still 6.5g will try 4.3g rollers I got with the exhaust !

18. Sketchytom

Sketchytom Roach

Rides:
    Rally 50 you get me
    neos is air cooled you will find alot of air blowing down there where the air escapes from the gaps between the crowling the exhaust manifold

to find if you exhaust is blowing block the hole in the end of it and if it dont cut out it is blowing

19. saemh

saemh Member

Alright cheers for that idea I'll try that tonight, how long would I need to hold it for to let it turn off?

And if it is blowing air out? Do I need to refit it that's all? Maybe I didn't do the best of fitting it xD
    Does it effect the bike at all of I hold the exhaust? And let it blow
    Cheers mate!