yamaha neos yn 50 headlight noob question..

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by BunnyMum, Jan 24, 2017.

1. BunnyMum

BunnyMum BunnyMum (aka Northcust)

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    so I'm rebuilding my neos and I'm trying to figure out the wiring for the aftermarket headlight and controls.

on the original controls I have a headlight switch but it only seems to have lo/hi beam settings, no on/off setting/switch. the oem bulbs seem to have lo/hi wiring (3 wires)

since my bike came in 'kit form' with no working bulbs/fairing at the front i have no idea what the default behaviour is which is making it a tad difficult to figure out whether the wiring is doing what it's supposed to be doing and where to start hacking wires.

is the headlight meant to be always on when the bike is running or is there some other way to switch it on/off which I've missed or is missing from my bike? does the light have to be on when the bike's running by law?

my aftermarket controls allow on/off as well as lo/hi beam and the headlight has a 'sidelight' setting as well as lo/hi beam so I think there's plenty of flexibility to get it set up right, as soon as I figure out what 'right' is.

it's quite a big double headlight so wld like to be able to switch it on/off given how small the charging system is, unless it's supposed to be on by law for example.

perhaps having it automatically on sidelights when running (minimal drain on the charging system) and use the on/off to control the main bulbs and then lo/hi to switch between dip/beam might be the way to go?

thanks in advance :)

BM

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  2. Fox

Fox New Member

Rides:
    Znen 125t Firenze
    I don't know about your scooter specifically, but both my five year old scooter and my 18 year old Yamaha 900 motorbike have the dip/ beam switch on the left handlebar and a separate off / sidelight /headlight switch on the right bar. On both bikes the lights have to switched on manually, they don't come on by default like on many cars these days.

BunnyMum likes this.
  3. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    aha, thank you :) that's good to know. I'll see if there's some wires I've missed or switches missing.

Actually - your reply prompted me to look whether I could find an instruction manual for mine and..and I did! I'm not sure of the year but on this neos manual it says the headlight and tail light come on automatically when the engine is started...

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/659577/Yamaha-Neo-S-Yn50.html?page=15#manual

So I guess that's a good range of answers so far ;)

4. Fox

Fox New Member

Rides:
    Znen 125t Firenze
    That makes good sense. Well done!

BunnyMum likes this.
  5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

most scooters have auto on lights, its very rare that you can turn them off...
    try carlsalter.com for more manuals for your bike, theres pretty much any bike manual you will need there

6. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    i guess if it was auto on with the motor that would explain why I wasn't getting any readings from the headlights (without motor running) whereas i was on the stop/indicators. I guess in that case I'll have it default to sidelights on the new headlight and use the on/off/lo/hi on the controls to just control the dip main/beam. That should work.

thanks re carlsalter.com, will check it out :)

scubabiker likes this.
  7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

no problem, just post here if you get stuck on anything and keep that project thread updated!

8. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    cheers will do (on both counts) :)

Carl salter didn't seem to have a manual for mine but I got the service manual from the guy I bought it from, so along with the owners manual I found yesterday I'm pretty well set.

cheers!

BM