Yamaha,neos,help

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Mr coin, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Mr coin

Mr coin New Member

Hi all I have a standerd yamaha neos 50 looking to put a 70cc kit on it first ting but what is the best make for this type bike thanks

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I put the athena hpr on a customers, went really well.
    But you will need to use a 17.5mm carb, C16 exhaust, worked really well with an open filter but literally ate them due to its position on the bike, and adjusted roller weights.

3. Mr coin

Mr coin New Member

Thanks for the reply I'm all new to this stuff which 17.5 carb are u talking about and what weight rollers thanks

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

17.5mm dellorto. rollers have to be played with to suit what take off you want, whether you compromise on top end for faster take off or not. You will need a selection of them between 4.5gr and 6.5gr. Plus the carb will need re-jetting to suit the cylinder and carb and air filter.
    If you are new to all this then i suggest you enlist the help of someone nearby as it's a time consuming game, and if you get the jetting wrong you can easily kiss goodbye to your new cylinder.
    And that needs running in for about 300 miles BEFORE you upgrade anything.

5. Mr coin

Mr coin New Member

Thanks.... I'm just looking to do a bit each week so it's ready for summer time what's the first thing u would do/buy

6. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    first off derestrict the scooter.

theres the variator ( front pully ) this has a little wedding band like ring on the main sliding Boss ( a shortish tube the variator slide on) removing this wedding ring allows the belt to ride higher giving you more top end speed. from 30mph to 40-45mph.
    at the same time you may need to change your electronic brain in scooter what we call a CDI, these can be restricted to stop the engine going over a certain rpm limit, when replaced with a non restricted cdi the engine will rev a lot higher. at the same time we will upjet the carb by 7% to 10% , and maybe add some lighter rollers something like 5g or 6g . a sports exhaust will finish this change fully and set you up for a 70cc kit install.

the above gives you a derestricted 50cc scooter, its going to be around 10-15mph faster, rev a lot higher and be a little more quicker from the lights.

from derestricted 50cc to a sport 70cc, you would add a new piston and cylinder, a upgraded malossi/polini variator and a little bit bigger carb (17.5 ) , some scooterists will also pop some new gears in the rear called a gear up kit, this lets you go a little bit faster (around 60mph ).

BUT before even going to a 70cc kit you really need to be comfy with the scooter itself, you walk before you learn to run. so you want to get acustomed to riding a scooter how it acts and feels and rides and get road experiance to. if your 16yr old you really need to wait until your 17yr old before you stuff a big bore kit into your scooter.

BunnyMum likes this.
  7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Fit the new kit, run it in, then upgrade.