Yamaha aerox variator shim

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by mrmaynarduk, Mar 22, 2017.

1. mrmaynarduk

mrmaynarduk New Member

Good day all

Does anybody know the thickness of the shim for the variator on a aerox? Previous owner had removed it and ive just replaced it with 3 thin shims but i think 3 may be abit too thick.. aparently removing it improves topend speed.. just taken bike out for a spin after installing the 3 thin shims and woooooo she revs and goes like a rocket off the start now which is what i wanted.. but i would like to know the thickness of the standard shim as im trying to get the bike setup to a standard setup again..

Any info much appreciated
    Thanks

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You should only need the one, about 1mm thick, but it won't do any harm with the others in there. May be slight drop in top end.
    With the shims removed, the bike will not rev so much to engage the belt, now you have the shims in there, it's allowing the engine to get into it's 'powerband' before engaging the belt.

3. mrmaynarduk

mrmaynarduk New Member

Thanks for the reply Steve..

Ok cool.. the 3 shims ive put in are just over 1mm thick total so thats about right.. interesting what you say about the belt engaging as before without the shims the engine revs would be quite low and was almost struggling to pull away from a standstill.. now though shes like a rocket lol :D:eek::cool: surprising the differance that shim makes

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yup, and with it struggling to pull away, it also puts excessive strain on the little splines in the variator fixed half.