Yamaha Aerox electrical problem

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Goldy, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Goldy

Goldy New Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i really need some help.

I have a 09 rossi replica aerox and yesterday after work i went to start it up and held the brake lever in and pressed the electric start however nothing happened. A few seconds later it makes the electrical noise that sounds like its trying to start however i was not even pressing anything! It wouldny turn over it just made this noise and this went on for about 30 seconds and didnt stop even after i took the key out and removed the fuse as it was so loud and sounded bad. The noise sounded like it was coming from around the sparkplug area. It eventually stopped when i disconnected the battery terminals, but i then noticed when the battery leads touched the terminal they would spark pretty badly which is strange.

I assume theres a shorted wire somewhere but i dont understand how i drove to work fine and it suddenly happens when i was about to go home. Also i have noticed the main fuse has blown twice in the last couple weeks which is strange as it had never done that before. A thing to note is that i have installed a new battery recently and wonder if this has anything to do with it.

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    sounds like the starter relay has shorted out.

ie the starter switch could have shorted out and is in a constant on setting hence your starter is trying to turn over when it should not be.
    i would disconnect the starter relay block, turn on igition and kickstart your aerox see if the problem has resolved, if so you then need to look at testing the relay / starter switch for a fault.

if your battery is new and fully charged they can cause some arc sparking when connecting, always put the positive lead on first then the negative to help combat arc sparking on terminals

3. Goldy

Goldy New Member

Thank you i will try what you suggested