Yamaha aerox 50 javing no joy starting

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Kevin Williams, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Kevin Williams

Kevin Williams New Member

Hi. I am brand new to the scooter scene. Bought a 2006 yamaha aerox for my son. Bit of a project to get it going for his 16th. I am having issues starting it. This is the run down. Stripped the ped down to check it over. I bought as a none runner. Stupid i know. It has a malossi 70 head and a race exhaust. 21mm dell carb. Stage 6 air filter. I have checked and cleaned everything. Replace all gaskets and stuff when putting back together. New plug. Fresh fuel. Spark is great.
    Cause i wont start i check the vacumn petrol tap seemed block so i made a temp gravity feed tank. Got fuel getting to the carb good spark and great compression. Bloody thing will not start. If i spray abit of easy start in the carb it fires and runs for a split second but then nothing. I am proper scratching my head. Any help or advice would be great so thanks in advance

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    check your carb fittings namely the rubber hose to the manifold on the motor side, the rubber hose to the airbox , if any of thse has a slight crack or a leak its going to make you run lean .

check the filter , yep i know it sounds daft but a clogged filter can manifest as a non runner folks tend to just not clean them. drizzle fairy liquid over the foam pad and really work it in scrunch that sucker up and get that fairy cutting that filter oil back and that gunk out , then into warm water and again scrunch that puppy a good few times, you may find dirty water you may find a shed load of crud and dirt. rinse it a couple times in warm water to get that soap out, then dry that puppy off and install. try again if it fails to start ......

check the airscrew , 2 turns out no more than that ...... check the float .... unscrew the pilot jet - main jet check them for blocking .... if you cant see through them a single strand of thin wire to help push blockages out, compressed air can and blow out all the port holes on the carb ( airbox side usually two three holes - main jet hole - pilot jet hole ) . while the carbs off pop that motor manifold off and check the state of the reed valves to ;)

see how that goes, and let me say Welcome to the scooter shack kevin ;)

3. Kevin Williams

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and you advice. Will get right on all the above tomorrow and see how i get on. Must say a forum of people will solve any issuea. Really appriciate it

4. Kevin Williams

If anyone knows for a full set of matt black panels. Could you point me in the right direction. Cheers

5. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Adr en lin (remove the spaces ) pedstop . com

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/

http://www.euroscooterparts.co.uk/

have a look at those three see if any of the aftermarket panels will suit your needs. ebay is another place but you tend to find the panels are either beat up and require prep work and respray or are missing lugs and mount points

6. Kevin Williams

I.will have a look thanks

7. Kevin Williams

Carried out all the above. Still no joy. Confused as hell now. Awesome spark. I am getting fuel from my temp gravity tank. Reeds are good. Inlet is nearly new. If i spray easy start in she fires and runs for a split second but thats it. Tank has neen drained 1 day old fuel in there now. Carb cleaned i cant think.of anything else. Barrel and piston are good compression is good. Bloody thing

8. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Autochoke ?

remove it , grab the scooter battery ......

first off measure the plunger barrel ( the autochoke has a little brass/metal plunger) write down its measurement.
    now grab the battery and connect the autochoke directly to the battery (dont worry its fine doing this) leave it a few mins to heat up and measure the plunger again.

if the plunger measurements differ ie the plunger when warm measurement is MORE than the cold measurement its working fine.
    if the when warmed up plunger is still the same as the cold measurement, we have a faulty autochoke and that could be your problem as when its cold its fully open and only shuts teh choke port when it warms up and the plunger moves down.

Are you sure its fine to power it direct from battery cowboy : Yes the autochoke ONLY works when the bike is running a bit daft but that autochoke only works when the bike has started and is running , even putting the ignition to on the choke still stays open until the engine has fired up and is running, then it will heat up and close out the choke port in carb.

9. Kevin Williams

Manual choke fitted. Sorry should of said that. Just had a stupid thought the exhaust isnt fitted. Might be the problem what so you think. If thats the case. I slap myself now and apoligise to all

10. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    fit exhaust and try you may not be getting enough back pressure , exhaust produces an acoustic wave that travels back down the pipe and forces any expelled new charge back into the cylinder,

does the carb slide have a small gap at the bottom when in the carb itself ( remove airbox look into carb should see a small gap at bottom of slide. ) if theres no gap you want to adjust the idle screw so it lifts the carb slide a little.

11. Kevin Williams

Yep small gap is there. Gonna bolt this exhaust back on and see how she goes. If this is the problem i will kick myself and be on a beer ban for at least two days

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

A 2 stroke kind of needs an exhaust to run. Its worth measuring the compression and try with a brand new plug, sometimes it doesnt spark under load...

13. Kevin Williams

Fitted exhaust. Took an obsolute age but it started tick over is very rough. Will only start from kickstart though. Starter motor is engaging and spining fast enough i would say. Maybe it needs a good thrashing

14. Kevin Williams

Drink ban starts tomorrow by the way.....

15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah could be a crankcase full of fuel.
    I dont drink, more money for bike parts...

16. Kevin Williams

I am just relived it started. Boy turn 16 in two weeks and i want it finished for then. All matt black blacked out lights shoukd look alright. Really do appriciate the help. How do i stop the fuel in the crankcase or is that me from trying to start it so much.

scubabiker likes this.
  17. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Just from trying to start it.
    Chrome wont get you home, matt black will get you back....
    Im a big fan of black on black/ ratbikes...

Kevin Williams likes this.
  18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Red details would look really nice with matt black panels

19. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    charging starts at around 5k rpm , so you would need to run her out for a bit to get some sorta charge flowing, i would stick the battery onto a charger.

let it run for a while on idle, if you need to keep tickling the throttle thats fine but get some heat into the motor first ( warm up ) , then give it a tweek on the idle screw and the mixture screw get a good balance. make sure she gotta health amount of oil in its oil tank to, running out of that is not a good thing ;).

20. Kevin Williams

Red was my choice of colour to go with it. Red bolts and mesh in the plastics. Look the mutts nuts i think. Will do it in time. When he has done with it i am keeping it for myself